Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 17th January 2018

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Basic negative scanner advice

An elderly relative has asked if I can help him with a box of old 35mm negatives he has unearthed.

I saw the recent thread on home made rigs but that's far more than I am looking for!

Before I delve too deeply and possibly waste quite a few quid, I just wondered if anybody here has any experience or recommendations on the basic all in one units that are around which would allow me to look at the negatives and save any which I think he would like direct to an sd card reader built into the unit. I could then put the card direct into the tv so he can see them - his eyesight isn't that good these days so a big picture, even if not that good an image, is good.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 17th January 2018

Liked 1,318 Times in 801 Posts
Re: Basic negative scanner advice

Assuming you don't want to spend too much (how long is that string?) have a look at the Lomography website. They have a scanner designed to image negs (slides as well I think) using a mobile phone - about 50. With an iPhone it's easy to save to a PC / SD card. A number of Android phones accept a micro SD. Bang, done.
There are other solutions of course, but if this is a one off task it's wise to minimise your outlay. A cheaper option is to view the negs / slides on a tablet, or any light source, using a camera lens as a magnifying glass. Identify the candidates and get a photo lab to scan.

on flickr
Old 17th January 2018

Liked 819 Times in 537 Posts

As they're from a relative, they're likely to be historically important for your family, so it's worth spending some time and effort on them.

I did the same with lots of negs. my partner has. I used an old Canon film scanner. It was tedious work, but ultimately worth it.

Jim
Old 17th January 2018

Thanked 1,011 Times in 622 Posts
Liked 1,175 Times in 539 Posts

Here is a link that might help fill the void. Various scanners with user reviews. Possibly try one out if there is a store near you? https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ion-slide...review-section

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 17th January 2018

Liked 176 Times in 98 Posts

No experience of using that ION one other than they were popular a few years back along with a number of other devices that shared a 5MP sensor and may be the same thing in a different box. 5MP is plenty for viewing on a TV but a bit limiting for printing.
Looking at completed listings on eBay there are plenty which would leave you with change from 20 if you're prepared to take a punt.

I bought an Epson v370 Photo flatbed scanner which includes a transparency adapter which does a decent job - but it's labour intensive and quite slow.
I use it for work things so the negative scanning was a bonus.

The other alternative is to use a professional slide scanning service - google suggests about 50p per slide - places like Snappy Snaps often offer the same thing and their equipment should be better.
Old 17th January 2018

Thanks to all for the prompt and helpful advice.

Looks like it won't be too difficult to get something that will do an adequate job without breaking the bank, and if so I'll report back my findings.

Old 18th January 2018

Liked 235 Times in 203 Posts

Wally - Thanks for the Maplin link. The kit looks to simple to be true. I see that most of the reviews are going back a bit, but for that sort of cost ?? It would be good to get comments from others though. Thanks again
Old 18th January 2018

Having watched a couple of YouTube video demos of the little Ion unit I'm going to order one of them. They quote 3-5 day delivery so hopefully it will be here next week and I'll report back once I've given it a go.....
Old 19th January 2018
Administrator

Liked 292 Times in 163 Posts

If you have a macro lens and lightbox i would try simply photographing the negatives and then righting to a positive in software

its got to be worth a try before spending any money

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
The Following User Says Thank You to shenstone For This Useful Post:
cinders (27th January 2018)
Old 19th January 2018

Liked 235 Times in 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyb View Post
Having watched a couple of YouTube video demos of the little Ion unit I'm going to order one of them. They quote 3-5 day delivery so hopefully it will be here next week and I'll report back once I've given it a go.....

Kevin - please report back, very interesting Thanks.
Old 5th February 2018

I can report that the Ion "slides forever" scanner really is, imho and for what it costs, very good. Picked up a manufacturer refurb from ebay for 30 quid delivered with a years warranty.

So, load the software, plug the machine in and specify a location in which to store the pictures. Feed the negatives (or slides) in through the holder, look at the on screen image and press the button to save. Simples, even for a computer neanderthal like me.

I'm no great user of, or expert in, pp but even in just the Master software I was then able to adjust brightness, contrast etc....

Obviously the quality of the scanned image isn't that good but just to be able to view the photos gave the old boy great pleasure. We still have loads more to look through so I haven't tried printing any of them yet but I suspect that a 4x6 or 7x5 wouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for all your earlier advice.
AMc (6th February 2018)