Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Motion pictures - video and animation > Show your movies

Show your movies Here is the place to share your movie prowess with other e-group members.

Old 21st October 2013

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Snowflakes Sailing Club Tri-icicle Race 2013

Here is a short film of some of the competitors in the annual downriver race from Horning to Thurne Mouth down to a mark near Acle Bridge, back up to Potter Heigham mark then home to Horning.

Used the EM5 and hand held.

If you like traditional things like wood, string, canvas and water you might like this.

For those interested the large boats are part of the RCC, River Cruiser Class, over 400 boats listed. RK on the sail is a Reedling, R on the sail is a Rebel. There were quite a few of the Yare and Bure one design, often referred to as White Boats. The "plastic fantastics" with a Y on the sail are a Yeoman class which i own and sail. The fastest boats are the Norfolk Punts, they are sharp at both ends, flat bottomed and go like stink.

David

Last edited by Haisbro; 21st October 2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Add content.
The Following User Says Thank You to Haisbro For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (21st October 2013)
Old 21st October 2013

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: Snowflakes Sailing Club Tri-icicle Race 2013

A short version of the Three Rivers Race! I own a Thames A Rater and we've done the 3R every year since I bought her ten years ago, escept this. We had an invitation from a club on the Seine to take the boats to France but we'll be back in Norfolk next year.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 21st October 2013

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

You know the river well then! I wished i had joined you on the Seine. The race this year was considerably lengthened which meant in reality after dusk with no wind and ebb tide we moored up under the stars in our Yeoman from 10pm to 5am. Quite chilly but used the spinnaker as duvet! You've been warned, pack some gear for an overnight stop.

H
Old 21st October 2013

Liked 272 Times in 112 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I did several cruises on the Broads as a teenager and then had a very long gap before doing the 3R. The 2012 race was bad enough with an 1830 start for us and finishing at 0315 on a shortened course. My daughter was on the helm on that occasion (the only woman ever to have skippered a Rater in the race) and we got a pot for being second over the line. Our worst year was some years back when the wind failed and we spent six hours moored up at St Benet's. It took 19 hours and I felt especially sorry for our lady jib hand who had to go without a loo for that length of time! If I could only sail one day a year that's the race I would do. My boat is Tara sail no 23. Apart from being the only Rater to have been sailed by a lady (Rosie's done it twice) we're also the only one that always has a lady in the crew.

The French looked after us extremely well but the Seine is a less attractive river to sail on than our stretch of the Thames.

EM1i, EM5ii, EM10ii
Old 21st October 2013

Liked 2,941 Times in 857 Posts

A great video with some superb boats featured. Norfolk Punts are always a delight to see in action and some of those Cruises are very racy looking craft with their low freeboard and tall rigs. There is always something nice about a gaff rigged cruiser with a topsail sett, too. I am glad you told us what the brown boat with the R on the sail is. I was racking my brains trying to identify it and had forgotten about Rebels.

Nice stuff David

Ron
Old 21st October 2013

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Melaka, i have a nice surprise for you.

In 2010 i was standing on the roof of Horning Sailing Club recording the starts.

Enjoy.

David