Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 30th September 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Macdonald Bros

This was the next band that I tried with e PL7 and 75-300. Better lighting, more sensible colours.

Better results, methinks!

The band:

[IMG][/IMG]

First brother, on a penny whistle (so couldn't help his face being a bit obscured):

[IMG][/IMG]

Second brother:

[IMG][/IMG]

I like the effects from the colored lighting with these shots, and they do represent what the band looked like. They were difficult to photograph however, because they were nodding to the music, and I had lots of images with sharp shirts and fuzzy faces!

Thanks for looking/comments.
Old 1st October 2017

Liked 419 Times in 201 Posts
Re: Macdonald Bros

I tried the 75-300 when I first started to take gig pics Keith, and found it a bit wanting....the 40-150 is a much better bet and i've had some of my gig pics used by the artist on their website so quite pleased about that.

Attended a course by John Watson ( http://www.jazzcamera.co.uk/) in June this year who gave us some really useful tips on gig pics....S instead of A priority for a start. Check where you want to be to avoid too many things in front of the performers, ask for permission and use a monopod tripod where possible. I tend to use auto iso and auto WB also,

Keep plugging away thats what makes photography so interesting.

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocknroll59 For This Useful Post:
KeithL (1st October 2017)
Old 1st October 2017

Peter
I did use the 40-150 for some of the shots, but can't remember which ones, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't for these three.

Like the others, the ISO was set at 5000, exposure -1 stop, giving speeds in the range of 20-50. Too slow for such a powerful lens, really, but the IS is so good, I was surprised to get results this good. There were others taking photos too - one lady on her mobile phone! She kept trying and gave up eventually... Seating position is dictated by the hotel, you don't have any choice beyond picking a remaining area.
Old 1st October 2017

Hi Keith,

Don't think i've ever gone to 5000 iso, although when shooting on auto iso you never really know....for me the 40-150 wide open at 2.8... is far superior....I generally ask prior to the concert if I can take pics....sometimes they say yes that's fine I then say can you get me a seat closer to the stage, or can I stand by the side, sometimes the answer is ask the artists, if they know you want to take pics you can generally get closer. I sat in the Apex Bury St Edmunds 5 rows from the front to take loads of pics 3 years ago, no-one minded in fact a lady asked me if she could have copies, but I never got round to getting her email.

Here's one of those pics taken 3 years ago....

OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
The Following User Liked This Post:
iso (1st October 2017)
Old 1st October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
Hi Keith,

Don't think i've ever gone to 5000 iso, although when shooting on auto iso you never really know....for me the 40-150 wide open at 2.8... is far superior....I generally ask prior to the concert if I can take pics....sometimes they say yes that's fine I then say can you get me a seat closer to the stage, or can I stand by the side, sometimes the answer is ask the artists, if they know you want to take pics you can generally get closer. I sat in the Apex Bury St Edmunds 5 rows from the front to take loads of pics 3 years ago, no-one minded in fact a lady asked me if she could have copies, but I never got round to getting her email.

Here's one of those pics taken 3 years ago....

Yes very good! In my case, though, two points:
1. I can't afford the 40-150 Pro. So I'm not a lot better off using the consumer 40-150 in terms of aperture, than the 75-300.

2. We stayed at a Warners Hotel, Gunton Hall. Very different to a normal gig. Anyone can take photos, but the seating, as I said, is allocated online, on a basis of 'here are the available seating areas, which do you wish to pick?' We booked very late, so only had a choice of seating at the back of the hall; there were some seats at the side of the stage, which would have been far better, if I had known what the layout was actually like; but you can't get a preview without staying there. In the event, I managed to get two or three shots from that side, of the in-house group, which were better (thought the lighting was still problematic for photography; I'll explain when I post those images at a later date.) Given the conditions, and limitations of the kit that I took, I doubt that I - or anyone else - could have done better.
Old 1st October 2017

No you're probably right Keith....sometimes the conditions of where you are just makes it more difficult.

The little 40-150 is a fine lens, not as fast maybe as the pro 40-150, but still really good. Lighting is always the key issue. I went to a gig earlier this year and the lighting was awful took 3 pics and gave up...

Keep going and keep smiling....
Old 1st October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
No you're probably right Keith....sometimes the conditions of where you are just makes it more difficult.

The little 40-150 is a fine lens, not as fast maybe as the pro 40-150, but still really good. Lighting is always the key issue. I went to a gig earlier this year and the lighting was awful took 3 pics and gave up...

Keep going and keep smiling....
Now that I've checked the EXIF, the first and second were with the 40-150R, the third with the 75-300R MkII.

First one was 1/50 at f4.8 (exp -0.7); second was 1/30 at f5.6 (expo -0.7); third was 1/20 at f6.7 (so wide open) (exp -0.3); all at ISO 5000. So I could have gained a little by dialing in more underexposure. Thus the first and second were from closer to the stage.