Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 3rd March 2018

Liked 98 Times in 56 Posts
Question Re: Monthly Photo Challenge - Forthcoming Themes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
This months competition was designated as a time restricted theme several months ago. Thus I felt we ought to keep to that decision. If you read back on this thread, there was a lot of discussion about time restricted events. It was kinda decided that we should include several of these restricted themes.

After the relatively poor turn out for the Christmas theme, I did ask whether the turn out was due to the restriction. I did not get any negative opinions about it.

But we are in this for fun, and to suit the majority, so lets have opinions again if you wish. If most prefer not to have time restrictions then the answer is simple. Personally almost all my entries are taken fresh for the comp, but then I am retired and gives me something to do...

Mark j...
Just a thought, how about for time restricted themes we run two categories on the same theme (run two parallel threads that month) one not time restricted allow members to enter and vote in both one or none?

If you like this idea please click the like button.

If you hate it please click the thanks button.

Cliff
OM USer (3rd March 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (3rd March 2018)
Old 3rd March 2018

Liked 590 Times in 405 Posts
Re: Monthly Photo Challenge - Forthcoming Themes

We had lots of discussions about what sort of challenge we wanted quite a while ago. Our earlier round of challenges required that the photo always be taken during the month of the challenge. We re-launched the challenge in its current format because support for the old form was dwindling away to almost zero.

Among all the discussions, two seemingly contradictory views were expressed. Some felt, as Paul said earlier, that it was too limiting and there isn't always time to do justice to a theme within the timescale. After all, real life has an annoying habit of getting in the way. Others said that they enjoyed the challenge of shooting to the brief and within the timeframe - that having to go out and make a photo for the challenge was part of the enjoyment, rather than just raiding the archives for something that fit the bill.

I can't see any way to reconcile these two views in a single challenge. After more to-ing and fro-ing we agreed to have most of the challenges without any time restriction, but occasionally to have one with a time limit.

It strikes me that we have reached a pretty reasonable compromise as a result of discussion. Which is a rare achievement!

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
Johnheatingman (3rd March 2018), MJ224 (3rd March 2018)
Zuiko (3rd March 2018)
Old 3rd March 2018

Liked 1,566 Times in 811 Posts

Thanks John,

In the last six months, including March, we have had two time restricted themes. The Christmas theme had a low turnout, and this months theme seems to have caused a little stir of unrest. So I am coming to the conclusion that we don't bother with any further time restricted themes.

But I reckon we should stick to what was agreed several months ago about this months Bridges being restricted. Just cos I don't want to keep changing the rules at a moan or two from competitors.

Just lets get on with it, in any event the most "Liked" photo wins, whatever date it was taken. I guess voters can make that decision themselves.

All I want is for the Challenge to be as inclusive as possible, so everyone can take part. Building up a portfolio is part of what we do. As I have said before, personally I try and take a fresh photo every month anyway.

Mark j

My Flickr
Old 3rd March 2018

Liked 4,322 Times in 1,419 Posts

I guess I'm dithering somewhat in my view on time restricted comps. I said some time back that they were OK and then yesterday I complained that it would be too restrictive. So, apologies for coming over all Theresa May-like!

Time-restricted entries do challenge us to go out and shoot - which is a good thing. OTOH, sometimes time can work against us and it might mean we don't get a chance to enter. I think that if we were a more active forum then time-restricted entries would be the way to go. However, we clearly struggle to get a good number of entries so casting the net wider is probably the best thing.

The current compromise of some months being restricted but the rest not is OK I think as a means of testing the waters. The Christmas entry list may have been short, but then again it's a time of year when many have lots of other things on our plates so it could be that. I'd be tempted to see how this March's comp goes in terms of entries before making any changes.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (3rd March 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bikie John (3rd March 2018), Zuiko (3rd March 2018)
Old 3rd March 2018

Thanked 1,280 Times in 1,224 Posts
Liked 985 Times in 687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
Just a thought, how about for time restricted themes we run two categories on the same theme (run two parallel threads that month) one not time restricted allow members to enter and vote in both one or none?
Sorry Cliff, the idea may have merit but it just sounds too complicated to administer.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
MJ224 (3rd March 2018)
Old 3rd March 2018

Thanked 1,280 Times in 1,224 Posts
Liked 985 Times in 687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Any more views please...
I believe that time restricted photos were introduced to try and encourage members to get out and take photographs and I still think this is a good idea. In practice it seems that having a time restriction AND a theme (e.g "bridges") can impose undue constraints on some people who due to pressures of work or other commitments are not able to take part in that months competition. To loosen the constraints a little and still encourage photo taking perhaps a time limited photo should be exactly that - any subject but taken that month?
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
MJ224 (3rd March 2018)