Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 3rd October 2017
Walti Walti is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 2,206
Thanks: 255
Thanked 137 Times in 122 Posts
Likes: 196
Liked 1,021 Times in 402 Posts
Have you seen the new winners thread?

There's a new thread slowly developing in the competitions forum showcasing the winners of each month....

Andy and Mark have been very hard at work creating it, I've been sitting back and watching!

Any opinions of how it looks?

Its here:

Paul
__________________

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (4th October 2017), Ian (4th October 2017), OM USer (4th October 2017)
  #2  
Old 4th October 2017
AMc AMc is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Anglia
Posts: 919
Thanks: 77
Thanked 102 Times in 90 Posts
Likes: 436
Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
Re: Have you seen the new winners thread?

Looks good - can we have each month in a fresh post so it pops up in the unread threads and you can jump down to the most recent winner?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 4th October 2017
Gwyver's Avatar
Gwyver Gwyver is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: nr Stockport
Posts: 1,338
Thanks: 91
Thanked 311 Times in 198 Posts
Likes: 284
Liked 374 Times in 174 Posts
Re: Have you seen the new winners thread?

Good to see the winning images in one place - though the thread might become overlong in time.

I think it would be good if each month the competition submissions were loaded into a new folder on the Forum's image gallery. This would make it much easier for viewers to compare all the entries and then cast their vote (rather than scrolling back & forth through a thread) .

Subsequently the winning entries from each monthly competition could also be loaded into a Winners folder in the image gallery.

With this and possibly a new clickable item (to access the competition gallery directly) on the Forum's menu bar it might encourage more partiticipation.
__________________
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 4th October 2017
Johnheatingman's Avatar
Johnheatingman Johnheatingman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,242
Thanks: 572
Thanked 358 Times in 293 Posts
Likes: 785
Liked 810 Times in 502 Posts
Re: Have you seen the new winners thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Good to see the winning images in one place - though the thread might become overlong in time.

I think it would be good if each month the competition submissions were loaded into a new folder on the Forum's image gallery. This would make it much easier for viewers to compare all the entries and then cast their vote (rather than scrolling back & forth through a thread) .

Subsequently the winning entries from each monthly competition could also be loaded into a Winners folder in the image gallery.

With this and possibly a new clickable item (to access the competition gallery directly) on the Forum's menu bar it might encourage more partiticipation.
So many on here seem unhappy or dis-satisfied with the status quo ! A new idea has just been created to show winning entries and within hours there are suggestions for changes or alterations. Maybe every member should be given the forum software so they can create a forum version which meets all their requirements

John
__________________
Where ignorance is bliss .. tis folly to be wise - Thomas Gray
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 4th October 2017
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 7,214
Thanks: 449
Thanked 348 Times in 329 Posts
Likes: 3,275
Liked 1,566 Times in 811 Posts
Re: Have you seen the new winners thread?

All ideas are welcome.

Zuiko designed the competition, but nothing is set in stone. Don't want to change for the sake of it, but as said all ideas from us members are welcome.

Just to add that there are up to 28 members competing in the Monthly Challenge, hopefully more in the future.

Ain't broke don't fix it is what I think...........
__________________
My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 4th October 2017
Johnheatingman's Avatar
Johnheatingman Johnheatingman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,242
Thanks: 572
Thanked 358 Times in 293 Posts
Likes: 785
Liked 810 Times in 502 Posts
Re: Have you seen the new winners thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
All ideas are welcome.

Zuiko designed the competition, but nothing is set in stone. Don't want to change for the sake of it, but as said all ideas from us members are welcome.

Just to add that there are up to 28 members competing in the Monthly Challenge, hopefully more in the future.

Ain't broke don't fix it is what I think...........
My sentiments precisely Mark. Keep up the great work that both You and Paul have started

Regards,

John
__________________
Where ignorance is bliss .. tis folly to be wise - Thomas Gray
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 4th October 2017
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 7,214
Thanks: 449
Thanked 348 Times in 329 Posts
Likes: 3,275
Liked 1,566 Times in 811 Posts
Re: Have you seen the new winners thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
My sentiments precisely Mark. Keep up the great work

Regards,

John
Add Paul to that (Walti) please.............

And many thanks to Shenstone for doing the biz..............
__________________
My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 4th October 2017
Johnheatingman's Avatar
Johnheatingman Johnheatingman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,242
Thanks: 572
Thanked 358 Times in 293 Posts
Likes: 785
Liked 810 Times in 502 Posts
Re: Have you seen the new winners thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Add Paul to that (Walti) please.............

And many thanks to Shenstone for doing the biz..............
OOPS ! post edited !

John
__________________
Where ignorance is bliss .. tis folly to be wise - Thomas Gray
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 4th October 2017
Gwyver's Avatar
Gwyver Gwyver is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: nr Stockport
Posts: 1,338
Thanks: 91
Thanked 311 Times in 198 Posts
Likes: 284
Liked 374 Times in 174 Posts
Re: Have you seen the new winners thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
So many on here seem unhappy or dis-satisfied with the status quo ! A new idea has just been created to show winning entries and within hours there are suggestions for changes or alterations. Maybe every member should be given the forum software so they can create a forum version which meets all their requirements

John
John,
Humble apologies if my post has offended you - though you may have noticed that I did say I liked what Andy, Mark & Walti had done.
__________________
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 4th October 2017
Johnheatingman's Avatar
Johnheatingman Johnheatingman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,242
Thanks: 572
Thanked 358 Times in 293 Posts
Likes: 785
Liked 810 Times in 502 Posts
Re: Have you seen the new winners thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
John,
Humble apologies if my post has offended you - though you may have noticed that I did say I liked what Andy, Mark & Walti had done.
No problem Chris i'm not offended in the slightest and I did notice your comment. I was just trying to make a point that seems to apply in so many cases on the forum. As Mark rightly states "if its not broken don't fix it" ....... or at least give it chance to fall to bits

Regards,

John
__________________
Where ignorance is bliss .. tis folly to be wise - Thomas Gray
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (5th October 2017)
  #11  
Old 5th October 2017
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 7,214
Thanks: 449
Thanked 348 Times in 329 Posts
Likes: 3,275
Liked 1,566 Times in 811 Posts
Re: Have you seen the new winners thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
No problem Chris i'm not offended in the slightest and I did notice your comment. I was just trying to make a point that seems to apply in so many cases on the forum. As Mark rightly states "if its not broken don't fix it" ....... or at least give it chance to fall to bits

Regards,

John
Give it time John............A wheel is bound to fall off sooner or later..
__________________
My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 5th October 2017
shenstone's Avatar
shenstone shenstone is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 2,770
Thanks: 78
Thanked 220 Times in 166 Posts
Likes: 159
Liked 313 Times in 176 Posts
Re: Have you seen the new winners thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
Looks good - can we have each month in a fresh post so it pops up in the unread threads and you can jump down to the most recent winner?
Thanks for the suggestion

I did think about doing it that way but it meant opening and closing the thread which would mean people could "leap in" and add their own posts and the request/idea was to keep it looking clean

I will (as I continue to learn about the platform) see if there is a way to mar it unread /change the date/ do what you suggested

but for now it will stay at the top as a sticky

Regards
Andy
__________________
My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
iso (5th October 2017), MJ224 (5th October 2017), OM USer (5th October 2017)
  #13  
Old 5th October 2017
AMc AMc is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Anglia
Posts: 919
Thanks: 77
Thanked 102 Times in 90 Posts
Likes: 436
Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
Re: Have you seen the new winners thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
Thanks for the suggestion

I did think about doing it that way but it meant opening and closing the thread which would mean people could "leap in" and add their own posts and the request/idea was to keep it looking clean

I will (as I continue to learn about the platform) see if there is a way to mar it unread /change the date/ do what you suggested

but for now it will stay at the top as a sticky

Regards
Andy
Sounds good - it was only a suggestion as you asked for opinions .
I tend to use the "new posts>Get all new posts" drop down so I might miss stickies etc unless they have a new post.
As I said, looks good !
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AMc For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (5th October 2017)
  #14  
Old 6th October 2017
shenstone's Avatar
shenstone shenstone is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 2,770
Thanks: 78
Thanked 220 Times in 166 Posts
Likes: 159
Liked 313 Times in 176 Posts
Re: Have you seen the new winners thread?

in order to keep the challenge showcase clean AND prompt people to look at it for inspiration

Here is a notification that it is now up to date

And another link to it
__________________
My Kit (OK I'm a hoarder...)
4/3 E500, E510, E30 + 35macro, 50macro, 7-14, 11-22, 14-45 (x2), 14-54, 40-150 (both types), 50-200, 70-300, 50-500,
m 4/3 EM1MkII + 60 macro, 12-100 Pro
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shenstone For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (6th October 2017)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Davis Cup Winners Graham_of_Rainham The lounge 4 29th November 2015 10:37 PM
VIDEO: How to add one of your images to a thread from directly within the thread theMusicMan The lounge 2 10th July 2015 09:03 PM
We are all winners! greenguru Camera conference 7 14th September 2013 09:29 PM
Challenge #43 DOORWAY winners. Wee man Photo challenges 2 31st October 2011 12:54 PM
Olympus winners Wee man The lounge 1 17th May 2011 03:34 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger