Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 12th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E1 rubber grip repair?

Any tips for resticking the rubber grip on an E1? My new (secondhand) E1 is starting to come unstuck where my thumb rests by the playback button.

I understand repair kits are available, but I wondered if some strong rubber glue (the sort used for shoes etc) might be suitable - or would fumes/solvent be an issue? I have also seen double-sided tape recommended - any suggestions as to brand???
Old 12th February 2008
Scapula Memory

Re: E1 rubber grip repair?

Hugh,
I have often seen this discussed on DPR. might be worth asking or doing a search. Various solution abound but one I saw was someone who cut a few mm of the edge all the way around ( because it had stretched slightly ) and stuck it down with the original glue.

Luton camera do a repair kit last time I looked.

http://www.lutcamre.demon.co.uk/

Last edited by Scapula Memory; 12th February 2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added link
Old 12th February 2008

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Hi

Guess you can use a rubber glue but I think the main problem is that the rubbers actually strech and never go back on as they should!

I replaced the rubbers on one of my E-1's a couple of years back using a kit from Luton Cameras it was only about 10 and came with all the pre-cut double sided adhesive sheets. Took about an hour all up with cleaning the old glue off an not been an issue since

Cheers

Dave
Old 12th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks both for the tips.

John, I checked DP Review as well as posting here - some scarey prices being mentioned, but I now have an appointment with a scalpel (and a tin of Band-Aids standing by as my precision skills are limited!).

Dave - thanks for that. I didn't realise the kits would be so cheap. That makes it a more sensible proposition than the prices I've seen quoted for a professional refurb! I'll try the scalpel mod first tho'.
Old 12th February 2008

Liked 106 Times in 77 Posts

Hugh, another link for you on the US site.

http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/blog/?p=66

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!