Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > E-System User Group goodies

E-System User Group goodies From time to time we can offer our registered users unique offers - find out what's available here.

Old 16th August 2012

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Skin reaction to grip rubber

The link below is the report about the problem with the canon grip , I wonder if there is a similar problem with Olympus grips?
I have a skin problem with my right hand and it started some time ago ..I was using the E3 then, recently it worsened and I am using the EM5 alot...
I have never found out what is causing it but nowwonder if the same type of grip is used by Olympus?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19270472
Old 17th August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,975 Times in 2,312 Posts
Liked 3,902 Times in 1,841 Posts
Re: Skin reaction to grip rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsa View Post
The link below is the report about the problem with the canon grip , I wonder if there is a similar problem with Olympus grips?
I have a skin problem with my right hand and it started some time ago ..I was using the E3 then, recently it worsened and I am using the EM5 alot...
I have never found out what is causing it but nowwonder if the same type of grip is used by Olympus?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19270472
I haven't heard of skin problems caused by the materials used in Olympus cameras, or indeed any others apart from Canon. However, it could be that your skin is particularly sensitive. Of course, it could be something unconnected with your camera, have you consulted your GP?

Personally, I have a general allergy to Nikon cameras, but that's purely mental rather than physical!

Hope you eventually find the cause of your problem.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
jamsa (17th August 2012)
Old 17th August 2012

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Yes I have consulted withb a GP but nobody has been able to identify the problem source.
Thank you, I too hope that it will be sorted eventually butin the meantime I wont be giving up photography no matter how bad it gets on my hands.
Old 17th August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,975 Times in 2,312 Posts
Liked 3,902 Times in 1,841 Posts

Might pay to press your doctor for an appointment with a consultant dermatologist, if you haven't already done so. Sometimes you have to return with the same problem a number of times before a doctor refers you.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
jamsa (17th August 2012)
Old 17th August 2012

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

Tell them you have some history with the nuclear industry, that tends to speed up the appointments with dermatologists

Being someone with sensitive skin, eczema, hayfever etc I can safely say that I'm no worse for using my camera a lot.
jamsa (17th August 2012)
Old 31st August 2012

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

I would insist on seeing a consultant, they can do patch tests to find the source of the irritation . My wife has a similar problem on her feet. The test involved 70 small patches of potential irritants and two were identified. One was formaldahide and the other was chromates used in colour fixing. I recommend you push for a test before things get worse; hope that helps
The Following User Says Thank You to brianvickers For This Useful Post:
jamsa (31st August 2012)
Old 31st August 2012

Thanked 1,030 Times in 637 Posts
Liked 1,218 Times in 571 Posts

I had similar problems when in the forces - 60 -70's and still do. After many trials and errors it turned out to be certain plastics used on /in computers and other components used in the work processes.

Years later, when my grown son had a very bad bout of psoriasis, I found out that my father suffered from the same problem. Apparently, it can run in the family but to differing degrees with stress very much a contributing factor. In my case, all the skin complaints remained localised on my hands, always the same points at each attack.

Might be worth checking your family history as you might be in the same catch 22 position?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
jamsa (1st September 2012)
Old 9th October 2012

Liked 982 Times in 556 Posts

I have had eczema on my fingers which has been irritated by camera equipment, but this has been a physical thing rather than actually being an allergic reaction to the rubber. In other words, when the eczema's bad it is made worse by doing anything physical with my fingers, especially actions that rub on the skin.

I haven't had problems with lens focussing rubbers and the like, but tightening tripod legs became a big problem until I switched to Manfrotto legs with their lever latches, which were much less irritating than the rotating milled collars of Giottos.

I strongly recommend nagging your GP: there's a series of progressively stronger anti-inflammatory creams they can prescribe to get the eczema under control, and if they run out of ideas then they can refer you to a consultant dermatologist. I found that once my eczema had settled I was able to control it myself by using moisturising cream regularly and (rarely, when it flared up a bit) using some mild hydrocortisone cream you can buy over the counter at Boots.

I should declare a limited interest - I am a medic, although nothing to do with dermatology and I'm certainly not qualified to offer professional advice in the subject, just personal experience offered in good faith!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 9th October 2012

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Reading the originally-posted BBC report is strongly recommended, as it makes clear (indirectly) that this skin reaction is NOT to rubber, but to efflorescence (I surmise) of a "substance which, when exposed to humidity, reacts to produce a substance known as "zinc bis"."

Zinc bis (later noted in the BBC report as Zinc dimethyldithiocarbamate) is teh active component of Ziram - according to US EPA it is an agricultural fungicide first registered in the United States in 1960 as a broad spectrum use fungicide for apples, pears, peaches and tomatoes, later extended to use for almonds, apricots, cherries and pecans. Other registered uses of ziram include DIY application as a rabbit repellent and industrial application as a preservative in exterior latex paint, caulking, sealants and wall boards. Perhaps it was mistakenly included in the compound used for these particular grips.

While a trip to your GP with a view to a dermatology referral might well be wise, it seems to me it might equally be very misleading to direct attention to rubber sensitivity unless there are other indications! But unlike drmarkf I ain't a medic.

Piers
Old 18th October 2012

Thanked 1,286 Times in 1,117 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

WoW I get "athlete's fingers" on my right hand (second and third fingers, after index finger) BUT its when I have been doing lots of editing of shot ... so sweaty hand/fingers on the Mouse

I have friends who take the *fun out of me for wearing one white cotton glove with finger tips cut off lots of days (as I use Hydra cortisone cream on it, covering with the glove to keep the cream to myself) and not irritate it more using the mouse !

For this reason I bought an Intous 4 with Pen/stylus instead of mouse ..I wonder if the Mouse plastic has this in it ?
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 18th October 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
I've had a food allergy (shitake mushrooms) show up as blisters on the insides of my fingers, unrelated to contact and not following the usual ingestion route of localized reactions near stomach. Sometimes skin reactions look local, but actually have a more complex cause. (I also developed an allergy to hot water once, and my doc pointed out you can become allergic to anything.)