Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 9th January 2019

Liked 98 Times in 40 Posts
Re: Some of my portraits...

Perhaps this one is...

But this one is for sure, a contextualised one !

"I've become very picky. Most of my outings these days do not yield satisfactory photographs because what used to be satisfactory to me in the past no longer is. I make much fewer images today than I have in previous times, and I expect this trend to continue. Progress in art is not about becoming more prolific; it's about becoming more demanding." - Guy Tal
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (10th January 2019)
Old 9th January 2019

Liked 161 Times in 104 Posts

They all look good to me Antonio

Darkroom
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkroom For This Useful Post:
Antonio Correia (9th January 2019)
Old 9th January 2019

Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts

Looking for improvement - my suggestions. One or two suggestions for each picture. But first I will state what I really like about each picture.

The first image: I really like the light, her expression, and the colours of the image. However, I feel the image is cropped too tightly on either side - give the headscarf more room, to match the space above her head.

The monk is very engaging, and the eyes sparkle. Mostly good use of natural light, too. But the second has something white in the background coming out of the top of his head like a horn. Maybe clone it out ? The rest of the background is also a bit distracting, so maybe crop SOME of it out, making his face fill more of the frame.

The third one is my favourite (I really like all the others, apart from one). With this one, maybe I'd be asking the impossible, but I would want to see more of the nearest buddah in the glass alcove, rather than little more than the nose-tip. And for the leading lines of the coving and paintwork and standing buddahs to lead me to the sitting woman, rather than the distant buddah ... ?

With the fourth, there is a distracting white blurry something at his eye level - clone or burn ?
Old 9th January 2019

Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts

The fifth - a snapshot. Sorry, too many distractions, and all partly-hidden or conflicting with each other.

The final one is very good, too - but might it be better cropping out the woman and baby ? Or did you take another where she had moved ?

If you don't want criticism, though, Beagletorque is correct, then put it in the Foto Fair thread instead :-) I'm not sure I agree with BT on "more context" for some of the shots - I agree that the chap with the turban could do with more context; but not the monk or the woman with the headscarf - the portraits are interesting enough on their own, for me. BUT, if you criticise the criticism, you will not get more suggestions, and will close down discussions which might help you think about which of the suggestions you might like to take on board ...
Old 14th January 2019

My dear... shall I call you "Olympus friends" ? I do not have time to drop you a letter for a couple of weeks, now.
But no doubts, I will be back as I have not erased the email notification. So, I will remember !
Thank you for your opinions. I do appreciate !
See you !
Cheers !
"I've become very picky. Most of my outings these days do not yield satisfactory photographs because what used to be satisfactory to me in the past no longer is. I make much fewer images today than I have in previous times, and I expect this trend to continue. Progress in art is not about becoming more prolific; it's about becoming more demanding." - Guy Tal
Gate Keeper (15th February 2019)
Old 14th January 2019

Liked 188 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
Interesting faces, but not really any context. I'm not a fan of the dirty border to highlight the face as it looks unnatural. Nothing wrong with the focus or detail, just slightly boring.

That comment prompted me to look at the hundreds of "Cuba Posts" but for some reason every one of the pages is now blank, ie no photo. Is it just me, a forum fault, or have they now all been deleted ?

Jax
Old 14th January 2019

Liked 3,850 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
That comment prompted me to look at the hundreds of "Cuba Posts" but for some reason every one of the pages is now blank, ie no photo. Is it just me, a forum fault, or have they now all been deleted ?

Jax
I think it is a forum issue, many old postes got removed when Ian changed the software, or that is my understanding. I must work out how to change my signature....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
But this one is for sure, a contextualised one !

That is a corker.
Old 14th February 2019

Thank you Darkroom for your kind words.
-
@kami
"...The first image: I really like the light, her expression, and the colours of the image. However, I feel the image is cropped too tightly on either side - give the headscarf more room, to match the space above her head..."
Thank you. The light is really excellent. I am aware of that. The colours are also quite fine/nice. I would say that this is one of my best portraits and I have plenty of them.
Regarding the crop the only "thing" I think is not as I would like it to be is the cut elbow. However, I also agree that I could have cropped a bit larger. I can't remember how the original image is...

"...The monk is very engaging, and the eyes sparkle. Mostly good use of natural light, too. But the second has something white in the background coming out of the top of his head like a horn. Maybe clone it out ? The rest of the background is also a bit distracting, so maybe crop SOME of it out, making his face fill more of the frame..."
You are absolutely right regarding the "horn". I have not thought about the background of this portrait but I agree with you. Sometimes we do not have time or/and space to fix everything. Well... just a poor excuse for a failure !

"...The third one is my favourite (I really like all the others, apart from one). With this one, maybe I'd be asking the impossible, but I would want to see more of the nearest buddha in the glass alcove, rather than little more than the nose-tip. And for the leading lines of the coving and paintwork and standing buddhas to lead me to the sitting woman, rather than the distant buddha ... ?"
Oh well... I have not seen the Buddha in the glass alcove until... now ! Shame on me !
When taking this photograph - which is the merge of 3 bracketed shots - I was pretty concentrated in the composition. I do have another set of 3 but with a different angle and perspective. What I do not like in this image is the hand of the first statue coming out in that place ! See what I mean ?

"...With the fourth, there is a distracting white blurry something at his eye level - clone or burn ?..."
It doesn't bother me... perhaps I should have made it lighter...

"...The fifth - a snapshot. Sorry, too many distractions, and all partly-hidden or conflicting with each other.
The final one is very good, too - but might it be better cropping out the woman and baby ? Or did you take another where she had moved ?...
"
The fifth is a snapshot, yes. Simple. Agree.
The last one - the guy navigating the boat - is also a bracketing shot which turned out to be excellent. I do like it I do not agree with you, as it tells a lot about the live of theses people. The wife and the baby with the father...

Thank you all for the trouble of writing and criticising my images.
Gate Keeper (15th February 2019)
Old 4th March 2019

Wide angle portrait !

And "classical" 150mm

Jim Ford (4th March 2019)
Old 4th March 2019

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

I can't decide about the first shot, it just looks a bit 'odd' to me.

Really like the second one. Nice soft light and the pose is great. A little bit more of her right shoulder in the shot would have been more pleasing to my eye, but still a lovely shot.
Old 4th March 2019

In fact DekHog, the first photograph is very, very spontaneous.
I asked the guy to pose, he moved in that position and I made 3 photographs. One is good. The others I erased as she had the eyes closed and the 3.ed I don't remember.

I think it is a very spontaneous capture which portraits the couple somehow inserting them socially.

Thank you for commenting DekHog !

NOTE - I can't stand this white background. It tells me all the time to go away.
Old 17th March 2019

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
One at a time
Great Photo Antonio. Classic portrait with good lighting
Old 17th March 2019

Thank you Kevin !

Tags
portraits