Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 9th April 2011

Thanked 1,286 Times in 1,117 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Bigma 100-500 help !

I have "L" Plates on ! I LURVE what this lens may bring in results ... but I AM NOT capable yet ... I have decided to use a remote shutter release - as I am nervous using this and I feel "shake" - also as it is so heavy, I am using a MONOpod.

I have been practicing in the garden ... on Hover Flys and Collared Doves - my objective is to capture Peters Pergrine Falcons ... so size and distance of Collared Doves is more relevant ... and at the top of our Silver Birch trees ... is more relevnt height!
Any ideas please ...? Apologies if the quality offends your eyes ... sori

I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 9th April 2011

Liked 955 Times in 285 Posts
Re: Bigma 100-500 help !

Hi

I have this lens and it is very capable for producing very good results.Using a monopod is a good idea but I tend to use mine handheld.
I think best results are with it stopped down a little ie f7.1 or f8 but also keep an eye on your shutter speed.If your using it with an E1 then you dont have the luxuary of IS so be careful.
I can't see the exif on you pictures so don't know your settings and would be interested to see them.It looks like a nice bright day so you should be ok.

Keep trying it can be a great lens but you have to be careful with it.

Ps don't expect to be able to produce results straight away.I know Peter took a long time to perfect his very good technique.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 9th April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I too have this lens. It's a beast and I wasn't anywhere near good enough to get decent keepers handheld or on a monopod for that matter - so I've got used to lugging mine around on the tripod all the time.

That being said - the results from this lens once tamed, can be stonkingly good Keep at it, patience is the key on this one.
www.dgpix.org.uk
My Flickr
Old 9th April 2011

Hi AndyM, I tried "handheld" BUT I was size 8/10 woman (now 14 but its fat! not body frame!) Tripod hopeless; so resorted to monopod as I cannot hold this weight! MAYBE its too heavy for me

58 was Mode AP; Shutter 1/250; F8; Sharpness+1; MetMode ESP; ISO 200; Focus; Cont AF

61 was 1/200; rest same and I seem to have lost the exif for the other one

Peters images are AWESOME but I fear lots is due to E-5 ? I may have to buy one

Everything I read about this lens says "hardwork=results" so I am doing lots of exercises - Thanks for your comments Andy

the ONE photo album
Old 9th April 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Hi,

These results do seem a little soft but I can't see any evidence of front or back focus or indeed camera shake. Are these much cropped and are they all at max zoom? I don't know this lens but I have owned a 50-500 and I have had some spectacular results with it handheld. I rarely use a monopod as I always take subjects such as this handheld in good light with high shutter speeds. I think this is a wood pigeon.

Regards

David
Old 9th April 2011

David your RIGHT its a wood pidgeon! They are SOFT, these are crops and zoom full out ! I am wondering its a better lens pulled back a bit (as the 70-300?) so I shall try this tomorrow with the same birds who are always about here

I shall up the shutter speeds too !
Thanks for all your comments !

the ONE photo album