Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 30th September 2015

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts
Hdew

I recently bought a 40-150mm f2.8 Pro lens with MC-14 tele-converter from HDEW. They were not the cheapest at 1099 inc. p&p but they are a well stablished bricks and mortar company based in Surrey. I didn't like some of the reviews of the cheaper companies some of which aren't UK based either. So I gave HDEW a ring and spoke to a very helpful lady who answered all of my questions regarding payment, warranty, delivery et al to my complete satisfaction and duly placed my order.
The lens arrived via FedEx 6 days later including the weekend in sealed retail packaging no white boxes here! After unpacking I went straight to the Olympus UK site and registered the lens and MC-14 to get the extended warranty until 08/03/2018. Massive saving, fantastic service and an incredible lens.

***Steve***

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 30th September 2015

Liked 89 Times in 64 Posts
Re: Hdew

Hdew were my second option if i didnt manage to get mine from srs i will consider hdew in the future if anything crops up. Enjoy ur lens like i hopefully will be doing.
paullus (1st October 2015)
Old 1st October 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
Hdew were my second option if i didnt manage to get mine from srs i will consider hdew in the future if anything crops up. Enjoy ur lens like i hopefully will be doing.
SRS were my first choice but they wouldn't price match HDEW. This was due to the fact that HDEW didn't have the lens in stock which is fair enough. HDEW order stock in once payment has cleared. I suppose this keeps stocking costs down and is how they can offer great prices. The lens took a bit longer to arrive but it was definitely worth the wait.

***Steve***

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 15th October 2015
Administrator

Liked 259 Times in 143 Posts

Any more thoughts on HDEW

I am looking at an EM1 with 12-40 and they seem 500 lower in price than SRS and the only thing I can see that would make any difference is the little FL‑LM2 Flash is not listed as being in the bundle (I thought they all came with that flash)

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
Old 15th October 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post

I am looking at an EM1 with 12-40 and they seem 500 lower in price than SRS and the only thing I can see that would make any difference is the little FL‑LM2 Flash is not listed as being in the bundle (I thought they all came with that flash)

Regards
Andy
Grey import is the reason, SRS is uk stock however if u dont mind the hdew have had good reviews on here. I did ring hdew about an accessory recently and they were very helful on the phone. One thing of note i recently bought a lens from SRS and got an extended warranty with Olympus for free, cant remember if it was additional 6 months, think so, got 30 months in total.

Personal preference i suppose.
last winter i got my em1 kit with 12-40 for 1500 150 cashback and free grip, so narrowed gap a little with hdew as they couldnt offer that deal at the time.

personal preference depends on ur priority.
Old 15th October 2015

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

If you try and register a grey-import on the Olympus web-site it will appear to give you the 2 years + 6 month bonus (I don't think they validate the serial number at registration) .... but I suspect that if you had to make a claim they would try to only honour the first year. (As you have to send the purchase invoice)
The Following User Says Thank You to Steambuff For This Useful Post:
Westy (16th October 2015)
Old 15th October 2015

Thanked 1,025 Times in 855 Posts
Liked 781 Times in 459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steambuff View Post
If you try and register a grey-import on the Olympus web-site it will appear to give you the 2 years + 6 month bonus (I don't think they validate the serial number at registration) .... but I suspect that if you had to make a claim they would try to only honour the first year. (As you have to send the purchase invoice)
For about a year or so now Olympus have stopped giving a 1 year "Worldwide Warranty" and only offer a regional warranty which in the case of Europe is 2 years. If you try to obtain warranty service on a camera or lens from a " Grey" importer it will be refused (they check serial numbers/authorised retailers and know which region/country the product was originaly supplied in). That is the reason HDEW have to provide their own more limited warranty as shown in their Ts&Cs.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Hermboy (27th February 2016)
Old 16th October 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post

Regards
Andy
Hi Andy.
I'd just give HDEW a ring and ask about the flash.

As I said at the start of this thread I registered my 40-150mm Pro with Olympus and got the extended 30 month warranty on it. The serial number is
displayed along with the rest of the details including the warranty T&Cs.

https://my.olympus-consumer.com/uk/p...hstermsandcond

***Steve***

Old 16th October 2015

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
For about a year or so now Olympus have stopped giving a 1 year "Worldwide Warranty" and only offer a regional warranty which in the case of Europe is 2 years. If you try to obtain warranty service on a camera or lens from a " Grey" importer it will be refused (they check serial numbers/authorised retailers and know which region/country the product was originaly supplied in). That is the reason HDEW have to provide their own more limited warranty as shown in their Ts&Cs.

Regards.
Not sure how this would stand up in EU law, where every electronic device sold in a EU country by an EU company has to offer 2 years warranty.

Also I suspect Olympus would be forced to accept the 2 Years + 6 Month bonus if their registration process accepted it ..... Also wonder what would happen if the user had purchased the 3 years extended warranty on the OM-D E-M1? (Again their web-site accepts the 3 years extended warranty)

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Steambuff For This Useful Post:
Hermboy (27th February 2016)
Old 16th October 2015

Liked 98 Times in 63 Posts

HDEW honour their warranty fine using AJ Johnstone. I had my 12-40 back to have dust removed from inside the front element. Both companies were very professional and it was a quick turn around.

I'd have no issues dealing with HDEW again.
Old 16th October 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steambuff View Post
I was going to say that in my post but having not put it to the test didnt want to speculate lol. I agree though totally cant imagine them doing anything outside 12 months and even then when u provide a receipt from a none uk dealer will they honour any in the uk. maybe someone on here can shed some light who has gone through the process.
from examples above seems under 12 months no issue.
Old 16th October 2015

Quote:
I was going to say that in my post but having not put it to the test didnt want to speculate lol. I agree though totally cant imagine them doing anything outside 12 months and even then when u provide a receipt from a none uk dealer will they honour any in the uk. maybe someone on here can shed some light who has gone through the process.
from examples above seems under 12 months no issue.
Again as I mentioned in my post which started this discussion HDEW are a small company based in Surrey. They currently have a rating of 9.8 out of 10 from 519 reviews on Trustpilot which is what sparked my interest initially. They source their stock from the EU which is included in the list of countries in the Olympus warranty T&C which I linked to in my last post.
I'm more than happy that I bought my 40-150mm Pro lens + MC-14 teleconverter for 1099 from HDEW because I saved 400 on the top price. I don't anticipate any problems with my lens but heyho who knows, I'm confident I have the extended warranty.
It sounds like I'm a HDEW fanboy but I'm not. I'm careful and shrewd about where I spend my hard earned cash, I shop around, do a lot of research and speak to people but if you've got it to burn buy from Jessops. I've just managed to snag a DR-66 decoration ring for my 40-150mm Pro for 16.75 from Amazon.com, they are on eBay for twice that amount.
Furthermore I was much happier buying a new one from HDEW than a used one from anywhere else at a similar price with no warranty.
About the serial number validation; I remember inputting an incorrect character, o instead of 0 and it was rejected so I'm sure the system does validate equipment.
Wherever you buy your lens from it's profit to Olympus and providing the products are legally imported with VAT and import tax paid what's the problem?
Maybe Ian could supply a definitive answer to this topic and stop the guessing and speculation?

***Steve***

Old 16th October 2015

Liked 113 Times in 75 Posts

I have used HDEW as well and have been very happy with my purchases and experiences. I will certainly be happy to use them again and note they have a sister site selling household goods and such like at https://www.hdewextra.co.uk/
I am not a fan boy either, just a very satisfied user of the company.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miketoll For This Useful Post:
paullus (17th October 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
paullus (16th October 2015)
Old 16th October 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
I have used HDEW as well and have been very happy with my purchases and experiences. I will certainly be happy to use them again and note they have a sister site selling household goods and such like at https://www.hdewextra.co.uk/
I am not a fan boy either, just a very satisfied user of the company.
Like i said in previous post depends on peoples priorities and more importantly the price gap. The other issue is the type of item some things are less likely to need maintenance than others. Everyone has a different viewpoint and there is certainly no difinitive answer.
There is no denying though that HDEW have a good reputation from peoples experiences on here :-)

HDEW I wouldnt say no to a 75mm if u start selling it again :-)
Old 16th October 2015

Liked 113 Times in 75 Posts

Quote:
more importantly the price gap.
The price gap certainly needs watching, sometimes there is only a very small gap of a few pounds and I have even found the price higher than some mainstream companies on the odd rare occasion. I have ordered several items in the past though and saved many hundreds of pounds. It has been a case of I can just afford to buy something I want with HDEW or not buy it at all.

As you say though each has their own priority and that is fine, I just wanted to say that HDEW as a company has always been fine in my experience.
The Following User Liked This Post:
timboo (18th October 2015)