Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 14th May 2014

Liked 415 Times in 161 Posts
HDEW Cameras

Has anyone heard of or had any dealings with HDEW Cameras? They seem to offer some pretty keen prices on cameras, but a couple of things don't look quite right.

E-M5 II, 7.5, 9-18, 12-40, 17, 35-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 100-400, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 14th May 2014

Liked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Re: HDEW Cameras

Never heard of them but the prices seem competative. Neweds watching etc.
Old 14th May 2014

Liked 284 Times in 139 Posts

Grey imports only and not very good on customer service apparently.

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 14th May 2014

Liked 74 Times in 45 Posts

I was thinking of buying something from them, I left 2 messages asking them to call me to discuss the product but; they did not bother to do so.

To me that says it all.
tomphotofx (14th May 2014)
Old 14th May 2014

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

I know of a few people who have bought from them and have had no problems at all - and I am one of them.
They are not the best at letting you know what is happening but from what I know they do as they say - you place an order, they tell you it will take 5-7 working days or whatever and your gear arrives in that time - there is that time when after a few days you get a little worried, but my stuff turned up as expected and saved me a lot of money - I have to confess to not really understanding the whole 'Grey' issue at the time but given that I got a new lens for well under the going rate for an equivalent second hand one I was happy.
Another well known forum has a lot of members who generally have little but praise for them given the money that can be saved, but as always, you get what you pay for, and a local shop may be a better place if you want service, but if you want to buy a box in a Currys/PC World type of way then they do provide a service that can save you a lot of money...
Old 14th May 2014

Liked 111 Times in 74 Posts

I too have used them with no problems at all. Having checked them out in Birdforum where many forum members have nothing but positive comments I ordered a lens and saved myself about £350 then more recently ordered a camera with lens and saved about £600 compared to the lowest none grey import price. I ordered on the phone and received the camera within 5 working days.
The day after I ordered the camera I noticed they had dropped the price for a "Bank-Holiday Special" so I rang them and requested the same special price which they probably had the right to refuse but they said they would refund my card by the difference in price as my camera had not yet been dispatched which they honoured much to my delight.
Every time I have rung them I get an answer within seconds and the matter dealt with politely and efficiently. I will use them again.
Old 15th May 2014

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I have used them and Panamoz who for some things are even cheaper. Both have good reputations. My EM5 came from HDEW with a 3 year warranty.
The only "issue" I have is when it comes to selling a imported camera/ lens some dealers refuse the part exchange and some buyers expect to pay less than UK used stock.
If you purchase understanding those caveats then its an excellent saving.
Old 21st May 2014

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I was just looking at their website and it seems I can pick up a E-M1 12-40mm kit for the same price as UK dealers are charging for body only.
Hmm, if something seems too good to be true etc....
So I started doing some Googling and visited Trustpilot etc and they in particular have loads of 5* reviews, but usually from people with no prior -- ie this glowing review was their first. Which sets alarm bells ringing.
They do seem to be a UK based company who used to run a bricks and mortar shop in Surrey and now are an import business. I have emailed them twice and they have got back to me within a day.

Hello James,
We do import our stock from outside of the UK, however all of the products we sell are UK specification. Therefore it will have UK plug, instruction manual and will be in PAL.
You will get a three year warranty which covers you for mechanical faults, breakdown, parts and labour and this will be repaired in the UK through an Olympus approved repair centre. The first year of the warranty will be with Olympus and the next two years will be with us as your retailer.
Therefore it is not a 'Grey Import' as it comes with a warranty valid in the UK and is sold to UK specification.
We are VAT registered and we can provide you with a VAT invoice.

The warrenty is an issue as I have never heard of XtendCover Ltd, although to be honest most insurance companies are crooks. They use a service centre in Glasgow called AJ Johnstone for their repairs, although I would rather have my kit sent away to Olympus service centre in Portugal.

I need to know more about this bit: The first year of the warranty will be with Olympus

I may just call Olympus and ask if this is the case. What is the standard amount of warrenty if you buy from WEX or Jessops I wonder?
Anyone else got anything on this?
Cheers
James

edit: I just spoke to a woman at Olympus and asked her about all this. She said that as long as I have a receipt/invoice from the company then the camera is covered by international one year warrenty and so would be covered by them in the event of a fault. After that - well its the Xtend cover thing which may or may not turn out to be a crock. She says that if you buy UK stock from a UK dealer then you get a 2 year cover with them.
So its £1300 vs £1800 and thats a crazy saving. You do get a free grip with some UK companies -- but I dont want one and its not worth £500! When I bought my E-3 it came with a free FL-50R - now thats worth having!

Last edited by Real Ramona; 21st May 2014 at 09:55 AM. Reason: extra info found
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Real Ramona For This Useful Post:
bilbo (21st May 2014), IainMacD (21st May 2014)
Old 21st May 2014

I bought my EM-1 from them with the 12-40 kit lens. The first year warranty is with Olympus because it is the Olympus International Warranty.
AJ Johnstone are a repair centre authorised to carry out warranty repairs by both Canon and Nikon. They claim to use factory trained technicians for many makes including Olympus.
I checked things out very carefully before I first used HDEW to buy a Canon L lens because I was very scared of being stung. I have happily gone back to them for my Olympus EM-1 purchase.
I have not thankfully had to test the warranty side of things but am quite content in my mind that things are as stated by HDEW and there would be no problems.
In the mean time between the Canon lens purchase and the Olympus purchase I have saved about a £1000. Not quite true as I would not have bought the Olympus gear if I could not have made the saving I did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miketoll For This Useful Post:
IainMacD (21st May 2014), Real Ramona (21st May 2014)
Old 30th May 2014

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Well I went ahead and bought it - nice black OMD E-M1 kit in original box and all goodies. I got three emails from the company, thanking me for order, and another saying that it was being processed, and finally another, four days later saying it had been despatched by Fedex with a tracking number.
Really good service, cannot fault it. I guess its come from UK stock then.
It arrived with firmware 1.1 on it, which is quite old. I updated it to 1.4 and that all went okay. I then went online with MyOlympus to register it, and that worked too. If that had been chucked out for having wrong serial number or anything I would have sent it back. But no, its all good.
If you are in any doubt then use a credit rather than debit card as you get extra protection.
I think I'll be going back to them when the new 40-150mm lens is released.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Thomas Westhead (10th January 2015)
Old 30th May 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

Well done you! You'll love the camera.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 30th May 2014

Glad, though not surprised, that it all went well. Enjoy the camera.
Old 15th June 2014

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

I bought my new EM5 from HDEW a couple of months ago for £460. No issues, though I've not had call to use their customer service. There's a thread over on TalkPhotography regarding HDEW and it's overwhelmingly positive. They have a very good reputation compared to other grey importers and they actually have a real shop you can visit in the UK.
Old 15th June 2014

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

I haven't had any dealings with HDEW but many years ago I dropped my OM10 with the T20 on it and ripped the hot shoe out of it. I was advised to send it to AJ Johnstone who gave me an estimate before repairing it for me. They did a great job on it and it is still working fine. At that time they were approved repairers for Olympus so I imagine they are still official service agents.
Old 23rd September 2014
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Bought my OM-D E-M1 with 12-40 pro from them a few weeks ago at a BIG saving. Application to Olympus for the free battery grip offer was refused, but that's not a surprise. At the prices they sell at, and without a VAT invoice it's obvious that they are selling grey imports. But as previously stated, the first year of warranty is the Olympus International Warranty after that I'd have to pay for repairs in any case. I'd use them again.