Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 850 Times in 545 Posts
Re: Honestly, do you like autofocus?

Velvia 50 is a tricky film to use as it's so high in contrast and its palette is so saturated. With the right subject it's wonderful stuff but it can be prone to a magenta cast. Trying to print Cibachrome from a Velvia slide was fun, you could get cyan highlights and magenta shadows (if I remember rightly, it's a long time since I last had a go) which were almost impossible to tune out without adversely affecting the colour balance of other areas.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 666 Times in 344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Who mentioned film? That's a totally different debate, but not here.
It's example.

I love that AF. It's heaven sent.

All my garbage so far.
Jim Ford (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Richards version does look much better but itís now looking too purple.

Sorry to be critical yet offer no assistance in whatís actually wrong but I donít know where to begin. Iíd take a look at the original image / negative / slide to see what it looked like before it entered into the world of 1ís and 0ís.
What puzzles me is that I used the same image in the Nostalgia Nexus thread a few weeks back and nobody mentioned anything about it being blue. Somebody did mention that it had a 'cross processed look about it' but I think that was more about the range of colours which I felt had an almost prehistoric feel about it.

Back on to the original subject: whilst it is true that autofocus can usually be switched off, or overridden, the fact remains that modern cameras are not really designed for manual focusing, especially with regard to viewfinders.

I can easily put my 12 ~ 40 mm zoom into manual focus mode by pushing the focusing ring forward, but the mechanical action is heavy and nowhere near as pleasant to use as a proper manual focus OM lens.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,150 Times in 1,025 Posts
Liked 1,230 Times in 800 Posts

So that rectangle is green?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 653 Times in 442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
What puzzles me is that I used the same image in the Nostalgia Nexus thread a few weeks back and nobody mentioned anything about it being blue. Somebody did mention that it had a 'cross processed look about it' but I think that was more about the range of colours which I felt had an almost prehistoric feel about it.

<snip>

I can easily put my 12 ~ 40 mm zoom into manual focus mode by pushing the focusing ring forward, but the mechanical action is heavy and nowhere near as pleasant to use as a proper manual focus OM lens.
Nigel, I would have commented had I seen the picture in the Nostalgia section but itís not a section I visit.

I find the manual focus ring on my 12-100 somewhat annoying as it occasionally catches me out. Iíd prefer a simple switch like the existing IS on/off switch.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The fact is that objects like leaves, black paint, and wet wood do reflect a blue sky.
Eliminating this cast moves the picture away from reality, yet in the digital age failure to do so is considered a fault.

In my opinion it is a bit too pronounced here, but that is down to the choice of film. Eliminating it completely would be more of a fault.

Back to the original topic, I prefer to think of a zone of focus rather than a point.
For me a depth-of-field scale on a lens is indispensable. I can not fathom why this basic control should be denied to digital shooters.

Stephen

my Flickr: Film ........ Street ........ Other stuff
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 498 Times in 138 Posts

Having used the top of the range Nikon dslr with there best 600mm lens in MF mode I have to say that using this combo for most of my pics would be a lot easier than AF, in that more in focus pics would be achieved. There was no backlash at all on the focus ring and following subjects was very clear and easy to do, only problem was that you need to be Samson to do it for any length of time.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Ŵhat about the annoying green light used to confirm focus?
Certainly beats the annoying 'pictures not quite focused' which I've had a lot. Practically any time I try manually focusing & don't magnify the view...
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,253 Times in 1,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_M View Post
The fact is that objects like leaves, black paint, and wet wood do reflect a blue sky.
Eliminating this cast moves the picture away from reality, yet in the digital age failure to do so is considered a fault.

In my opinion it is a bit too pronounced here, but that is down to the choice of film. Eliminating it completely would be more of a fault.
Thank you Stephen; that was my thought too although I realise now that I have some work to do on the image. I particularly like the bright green moss on the seat which is diminished by filtering out the blues.

However, colour cast aside, I originally posted these photographs to counter the argument that manual focus and film photography in particular result in (I quote) "fuzzy, grainy snaps", which I would contend these are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPWheatley View Post

My suggestion to you is to sell all your digital gear as you are obviously not happy with modern technology and go back to taking your fuzzy, grainy snaps exclusively. You seem to enjoy being a Luddite. Regards, Ian W.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 114 Times in 47 Posts

I always thought when digital camera arrived they'd be the same size as my OM1 film cameras, use the same lenses and digital media would replace film for recording/changing ISO and manual focus in the old way would remain.

When bodies and lenses increased so much in size, the only digital cameras I used until the OMD EM5 Mk1 came out were compacts. I'd finally given up waiting for camera manufactures to see the error of their ways.

It's only now I have deteriorating eyesight that I prefer autofocus most of the time. But only because manufacturers have failed to build in programable electronic eye compensation. Viewfinder spectacle recognition to turn this on/off would also be useful.
OM USer (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Personally, I prefer Manual Focus. It makes shooting more... interactive.

AF has revolutionized Photography indeed but in most cases I find myself shooting with my old MF lenses that the newer AF ones.

It is worth noting that AF lenses are not optimized for manual focusing at all.
The focus ring is short and it is very difficult to fine focus, unlike old lenses.
So it's not fair to compare manual focusing between them.

Strangely enough, I prefer MF even on Telephoto Lenses. When I am using my 200-500mm lenses and I shoot birds, for example, people ask me how on earth did I manage. I actually find it easier, there is no "focus hunting", fine focusing is easy and I have a high success rate.
For street photography, hyperfocal does the trick. A small manual focus wide andgle prime set at f/8 has everything focus from 2m to infinity.
Macro is also another fine example where MF is preferable most of the times.
Last but no least, I only use MF for portraits. I focus where I want (may be the eyes, the hair, hands etc) and not where the camera thinks I should focus.

I do not get distracted by the "beep" or the green light and I do use AF on my 14-150mm II which is my all-around lens and I use it for general shooting and when I travel.

But if I had to choose one of the two, MF or AF, I would choose MF hands down.
-Yoshihisa Maitani
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

As someone who made quite a good living as a wedding photographer using a RB 67 Pro SD as my main camera for many years I know that these are capable of producing excellent results. My comments re fuzzy grainy snaps was aimed solely at Richo who likes to be contentious at the best of times, and hope he took it in the spirit it was meant. Sorry that Nigel took it out of context. Regards, Ian W.
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 207 Times in 136 Posts

Of course, if you want fuzzy grainy snaps, you can still get them on a modern digital camera - it just takes a little more effort.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 156 Times in 78 Posts

My preference for hand held shooting is usually auto focus, it's quicker and more accurate than focusing manually, for me at least. However there are times where manually selecting the focus is easier, especially hyper focal distance. For example, if taking a landscape shot with the camera on a tripod and you want as much as possible to be in focus there's always the dilemma of where to place your focus point. Switching to manual and selecting hyper focal is quick and easy. The trouble is that not many lenses designed for auto focus digital cameras seem to include a depth of field scale. Fortunately the lenses I have for my Hasselblad H1 allow both auto focus and manual focus with a depth of field scale and it's quick and easy to switch between the two. With that camera I'm probably about 50-50 in terms of using auto focus and manual.

My Sinar F view camera has a very nifty depth of field calculator built into the focusing system that not only gives you the optimum point of focus but tells you what aperture you need to achieve acceptable focus between two points.

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr