Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 16th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Future of E System

Hello

There's an interesting news story on the Amateur Photographer website: Olympus, who were launching a TV advert for the EP2, are quoted as saying they see mirror-less cameras as the "future whether the photographic industry likes it or not."

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_291805.html

I'm wondering what others think of this and what does it mean for the the traditional SLR 4/3rd's system? Is this code for the 4/3rd system being phased out in the long term.

Personally, I don't like electronic viewfinders and won't buy a camera unless it has a decent optical viewfinder. Maybe at some point in the future electronic viewfinders will match or better an optical one, but I don't see that happening for a quite a while, if at all.

I'd hate it if Olympus phased out the 4/3rd system. What do you think?

Padgreen
Old 16th November 2009
EH1

Smile Re: Future of E System

Obviously the 4/3 system won`t last forever! but I can`t see them making it redundant for many, many years!
Old 16th November 2009

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Future of E System

exactly

and, whilst one day EVFs will compete with OVFs and mirrorless cameras become the norm, that had bu**er all to do with the demise of 43 - why do people continue to make 98 out of 2 and 2?
Old 16th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wasn't aware that I was getting 98 from 2+3. It's a legitimate question, Olympus make 4/3rds and now micro 4/3rds. If it sees mirror-less cameras as the future, then by definition it doesn't see 4/3rd's in that future - unless they make a mirror-less 4/3rds camera as well: but what would the point of that be if they already make micro 4/3rd's.

I don't expect any camera system to last forever but I do expect a reasonable shelf life to justify my investment. If the future is limited, I might think twice before buying any more 4/3rd gear and may even consider another system that will be potentially longer lived.

Padgreen
Old 16th November 2009
EH1

Smile Re: Future of E System

I can`t see the point in changing brand, as I am sure once one manufaturer does away with mirrors, then the others will all follow suit & see it as moving with the times!
Old 16th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not keen on moving brands either. I've always viewed Olympus as an innovatory camera maker and bought into the Olympus E because I thought it was the first "proper" digital system with decent lenses: legacy Nikon or Canon glass on an APC sensor made no sense to me. Now I've used it for a few years, I much prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio to 3:2 and Olympus is the only SLR manufacturer to offer that (apart from hugely expensive medium format DSLRs).

I think Olympus has been a bit surprised by the success of micro 4/3rd's. When it was launched in the summer they were talking about running both systems. Now, mirror-less is the future, which is a big change in emphasis so it makes me wonder about what their long term plans really are.

Padgreen
Old 16th November 2009

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgreen View Post
I wasn't aware that I was getting 98 from 2+3..... unless they make a mirror-less 4/3rds camera as well: but what would the point of that be if they already make micro 4/3rd's.
there are a number of reasons to make a mirrorless camera body with 43 lens registration distance/mount - not least would be to make use of the existing (Olympus) lens range. I also believe there are actually technical reasons why telephotos are better on 43, whilst WA development can be done easier on m43 from other posts - but don't understand the technicals.

there is also a question of whether CDAF will ever be capable of performing at the necessay speed, and if not then the implementation of new PDAF might benefit from the space the 43 registration distance provides, or it might not.

the point I was trying to make earlier was exactly this.

I agree that it's possible that everything will move to the m43 mount, but 'mirrorless' alone isn't the reason it will happen.