Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 24th May 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,063 Times in 2,381 Posts
Liked 4,274 Times in 2,011 Posts
The E3 Was Made For This

Ground level camera position to give a worm's eye view. Critical manual focusing to muster every millimeter of depth of field. I suppose I could have got this shot with a Canon or Nikon, but I'd still be trying to straighten my neck and put my eye back in its socket!

As it was, the articulated sceen with magnified live view really came into its own for this shot. And at 14mm (28mm equivalent) f22 just gave enough depth of field. Definitely wouldn't have got that with a Canikon. I know f22 isn't recommended on Four Thirds because of quality loss due to diffraction but I really was working at the limits for this one and I think the 14-54mm has aquitted itself rather well.

What do you think?

Hatfield Forest (National Trust), Essex

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th May 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,513 Times in 862 Posts
Re: The E3 Was Made For This

John,

This is a very good composition and the crop to square perfectly compliments the composition.

I appreciate that the field quite likely has a slope to it, but I feel that leveling the "horizon", just a fraction, and taking a tiny slice off the base would improve the shot.

The complimentary colours are perfect and as you have pointed out the DoF is very well handled.

Before I got the E-3, I used a small mirror with the E-500 on shots like this. But I've never got a shot as good as this...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 24th May 2009

Liked 70 Times in 28 Posts

+1 for Graham's comments

Beautiful composition with form being demarcated by the primary blue, green, yellow. Well done. Funnily enough, I was due to go over to Hatfield forest today myself!

Andy
Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)
Old 24th May 2009
Administrator

Thanks Graham and Andy. I see what you mean about the slope, the camera was perfectly straight, I used a spirit level, bot I , too, wondered if it looked right. I've now rotated 1 degree (checked against grid lines in Elements) and cropped a bit off the bottom. Is this better?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th May 2009

Liked 1,268 Times in 491 Posts

Fantastic shot, I am most impressed. Love the colours.. Having looked at both I prefer the first version for some reason. More stalks maybe.

Either way, well done...

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 24th May 2009
Makonde

I also prefer the first version.

Sometimes when you give priority to technical rectitude, you lose the life.
Old 24th May 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,513 Times in 862 Posts
Thumbs up Re: The E3 Was Made For This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Thanks Graham and Andy. I see what you mean about the slope, the camera was perfectly straight, I used a spirit level, bot I , too, wondered if it looked right. I've now rotated 1 degree (checked against grid lines in Elements) and cropped a bit off the bottom. Is this better?

To me that's so much better as it looks like you are in much closer proximity to the foreground flowers as a creature of the forest floor would be.

The difference is minimal and each of us will have our own preferences. This is exactly what makes Photography and this forum so interesting. Having top class images such as this put up for discussion is also what keeps the forum going and inspires people to get out there and improve their images.

Thanks again for posting this one.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 24th May 2009

Liked 70 Times in 28 Posts

I'd have to go for version 2 as well!

The background treeline sits along the thirds, it seems to be more balanced.

Andy
Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)
Old 24th May 2009
Administrator

I must admit that I, too, prefer the second version. I was already wondering about the slope of the field but it hadn't occurred to me to crop the bottom. I'm glad I put this up for comment and thanks especially to Graham and Andy for your advice.

Having said that, I can understand why some prefer the original, it really is a matter of personal taste. One thing that I don't like about the second vesion is that the slight crop necessitated by straightening the image now means a dead branch of the tree touches the left side of the frame whereas it didn't before. Just a small point, I know, but it does irritate me!

Old 24th May 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's an inspring image, either the original or the second version (I personally prefer the first, I think its what a natural ground level view would be) and shows the less experienced amongst us what beauty is available for us to capture, for free, it's there, if you have an eye for it. Fantastic.
Old 25th May 2009

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

John,

I am very impressed with this image (both variants). You really have pushed the camera at f22 but it has paid off really well. The tree, buttercups and shrubery behind, all in focus, makes a superb composition which cannot normally be achieved. My only comment with image 2 is that the cropping has removed part of the edge of the tree. A small point which is an observation and not a critism.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 25th May 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
John,

I am very impressed with this image (both variants). You really have pushed the camera at f22 but it has paid off really well. The tree, buttercups and shrubery behind, all in focus, makes a superb composition which cannot normally be achieved. My only comment with image 2 is that the cropping has removed part of the edge of the tree. A small point which is an observation and not a critism.

Peter
Thanks, Peter.

You're right, it slightly irritates me, too, that the tree now touches the edge of the frame. This unfortunately couldn't be avoided when cropping after straightening. The lesson here is not to compose too tightly in future, in case an adjustment is needed!

Old 28th May 2009
glenachulish

I'd echo most of the comments already made - a lovely picture with a colour combination that really jumps out of the screen. I'd go for version 1 because I don't like the branch touching the edge of the frame. You could, however, clone it out, in which case my preference would shift to version 2.

Even with the articulating screen this type of shot is tricky and requires patience and attention to detail - well done!