Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 330 Times in 224 Posts
The Photography Show - free entry for some

I found out on Tuesday that if you help run a photography club and you hold a position such as Chairman/Vice, Secretary, Programme Secretary, Competition Secretary, or Treasurer, you can get a free ticket for the show.
When you book, just select Other and then add the necessary details on the next page. The organisers will check your details against your club's website and if they are happy, you get a link to the ticket.
Doesn't work if you are a humble Committee Member though.......
I got mine confirmed and I am very happy. An extra tenner to spend.....

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
The Following User Says Thank You to benvendetta For This Useful Post:
sapper (4 Weeks Ago)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (3 Weeks Ago), OM USer (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 59 Times in 42 Posts
Re: The Photography Show - free entry for some

I don't think they are too fussed, I've been getting in for years as a pro, just giving them my Flickr page as a website. Being retired I can safely say I make most of my money from photography (100% of eff all ).

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
I don't think they are too fussed, I've been getting in for years as a pro, just giving them my Flickr page as a website. Being retired I can safely say I make most of my money from photography (100% of eff all ).
You have done well then in the past Bruce.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,775 Times in 1,066 Posts

I wonder why they allow 'Pro' photogs in FoC, but charge Joe Public? It doesn't make sense. But neither does charging entry to an event which is basically one big retail outlet!

If I were to mount a PRO lens on my camera, such as the 12-40, would that get me in without paying?!

on flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I wonder why they allow 'Pro' photogs in FoC, but charge Joe Public? It doesn't make sense. But neither does charging entry to an event which is basically one big retail outlet!

If I were to mount a PRO lens on my camera, such as the 12-40, would that get me in without paying?!
Absolutely Steve, I resent paying for things like this. Give it a try, but you need to do it in advance.

Ricoh (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I think I'll give it a miss, as usual. It sounds more like a technology show than photography per se, and I have zero interest looking at digital cameras that basically look the same, or discussing MP, cross hairs, dual card slots, HDR, 10 axis stabilisation, back illumination, and God knows what. In fact I would need to be paid to enter the event, and have my travel expenses refunded. What chance I wonder?

on flickr
RobEW (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts

I have been attending on a pro ticket for several years now but this year I am not going. I think the whole format is now old hat and the crowding verges on the dangerous imho. In addition, hesitate near any stand and your ticket is scanned and lo, umpteen unsolicited emails arrive a few days later. Don't even mention the food price/quality ratio!

I hope that the show morphs into something less hard sell and more browser friendly.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,202 Posts
Liked 1,982 Times in 963 Posts

When working I used to get free tickets. It was a bit of a stretch but they were pretty lax then however since the organisers changed they were much keener to check up so I've been paying now I've retired! Typical income drops dramatically and the freebies also go down. I have recently actually sold a couple of images so maybe that counts as being a pro anyway it's too late now as I've bought my tickets already
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Try next year Phill, just some minor embellishment required! Yes, it seems to be full of large blokes with DSLRs + teles bouncing off their ample stomachs

benpanesar (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
Try next year Phill, just some minor embellishment required! Yes, it seems to be full of large blokes with DSLRs + teles bouncing off their ample stomachs
This is strange behaviour indeed, ie individuals taking their cameras to camera shows - it sounds like the equivalent of Crufts with owner taking along their doggies.
I've not been to the Ideal Home Exhibition either, so no experience, but maybe there's a trend with builders taking their power tools, trowels etc when looking around the show houses on display.

on flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,162 Times in 665 Posts

There are only 5 reasons to go to the show and brave all those dullards with DSLRs round their necks:
1. To get a good show deal on some bit(s) of gear you would (hopefully) have had to pay more for from elsewhere.
2. To compare and try out a wide range of kit that you wouldn’t otherwise be able conveniently to find in the same place (e.g. trying out whether a particular range of kit will fit a range of different camera bags by Kata, Mindshift, LowePro, Miggo and Manfrotto, like I did last year: Miggo won).
3. To get 3 items of Oly gear cleaned and checked per day.
4. To go to a load of good lectures and demos by world-famous photographers.
5. To meet up at midday on Monday with some members of this forum

Don’t bother otherwise...

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Grumpy Hec (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

You could possibly add another to your list, Mark. I'm informed there's a stall selling used film cameras. But that alone does not entice me.

on flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 492 Times in 349 Posts

I shall be taking a couple of cameras for cleaning - typically how long does it take or does one handover the kit and then go off and collect them at the end of the day?
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Are they still cleaning cameras then?
I wonder if they'd look at my non-function plastic fantastic if cleaning the contacts with proper stuff doesn't work?????

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 345 Times in 175 Posts

FWIW I’ve worked on trade exhibitions in the past. The organisers charge hefty fees for space by promising a desirable audience. In this case I imagine pro photographers with deep pockets. Window shoppers and consumers are less attractive as they take up your time but don’t spend much money.
We successfully got all our money back for a trade show where the organisers failed to deliver the audience they promised. It still cost us dear in wasted time and incidental expenses.

The cost of attending a show is very significant - even bringing your own stand and erecting it yourselves means an extra day of several staff. Then you have to cover the stand all day and feed transport and accommodate everyone.
I was typically on duty on my feet from 8-6 every day with a couple of quick breaks. It’s not a lot of fun. I once went all the way to LA and didn’t get time off the stand to attend a single presentation
I now do one conference a year while you’re still on duty from breakfast to bed time you get to enjoy the presentations and our clients get bought a fancy dinner which we attend too