Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II The first OM-D's successor.

Old 27th February 2015

Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,012 Posts
Liked 1,211 Times in 789 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

What time should I ring to get you to come into town for our important meeting which you have forgotten about? Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following User Liked This Post:
Simon Bee (27th February 2015)
Old 27th February 2015

Liked 284 Times in 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Is that another way of saying you're too excited to wait for delivery?

Ah, Ah ... like it! But truthfully ... no. I am a very patient man, I can wait, it's no big deal, I just prefer 'face to face' if at all possible.

Regards, Simon
Old 27th February 2015

Hot chocolate and 'pretty please eyes' = BINGO .....all systems go!

Tomorrow it is then

Regards, Simon
Old 27th February 2015

Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,012 Posts
Liked 1,211 Times in 789 Posts

Crawler!

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Simon Bee (28th February 2015)
Old 28th February 2015
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Enjoy the trip!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Old 28th February 2015

Liked 330 Times in 224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Quite right Paul and indeed it would be cheaper. It's just I haven't been down to their store for a while and I like to make a visit when I can as I prefer to 'show my face' and have a chat for a half hour or so, which IMO really does help build a better dealer/customer relationship and being a retailer myself that is something I am very particular about.

Carmarthen is rather a nice town so it would make for a good day out. If we go I/we will likely spend some more money in some of the 'local' family run business ( as opposed to the 'big nationals' ) which helps Carmarthens local economy and high street diversity too. If I'm going to be off shopping anyway I would prefer to 'kill two birds with one stone' as the saying goes

Regards, Simon
I quite like that store and try and pop in when I am 'on site' in Carmarthen.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 28th February 2015

Thanked 1,178 Times in 882 Posts
Liked 5,639 Times in 1,817 Posts

Can't wait to read your review Simon.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Old 28th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Crawler!
Yeah I know Ed, worked though

Kind regards, Simon
Old 28th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Enjoy the trip!
Indeed I did Stephen

Kind regards, Simon
Old 28th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I quite like that store and try and pop in when I am 'on site' in Carmarthen.
Yes Dave, a nice bunch of guys and a well stocked camera shop too

Kind regards, Simon
Old 28th February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Can't wait to read your review Simon.
Wel Paul it's a little too soon for a review but I'll give my initial impressions next.

Kind regards, Simon
Old 28th February 2015

Liked 280 Times in 71 Posts

So did you go to pick it up today in the end?

Based on your store getting it in I was eagerly waiting for the postie today, but alas no camera. Still none the wiser as to when it will arrive but hoping for the early part of next week now.

Interested to hear your thoughts when you've had time to sit down properly
Old 28th February 2015

Wink Re: Gone 'n' done it !

OK, as you can gather I'm back home .

So what are my initial thoughts? ........

1) Very well built and finished with the right amount of weight, giving a reassuring feel of quality and professionalism. IMO the silver finish, knurled dials, 'narrow-for-its-height pentaprism' really makes for a very striking and retro look, reminds me a lot of the OM1.

2) The mode dial clicks positively between settings and turns smoothly with just the right amount of resistance. Just like the e-m1 the dial can be locked via the 'pin' in the centre if you so wish. My initial feeling is that the dial is actually very unlikely to accidentally move to another setting if the lock is not used. Of course its resistance may lesson over time so the lock pin may become a useful feature. I believe some have commented that the on-off switch could be mistaken for the 'tick mark' for the program settings, personally I don't know why this should be, it's perfectly logical to me, then again I rarely move off 'A' or 'M'.

3) With the HLD-8G grip fitted, my forefinger falls naturally upon its release whilst my thumb also naturally falls upon the 'thumb rest'. It is clear that the ergonomics have been very well designed, it fits my hand like a glove and provides for a very safe and reassuring handling experiance.

4) The HLD-8G is the 'top section only' of the two-part-grip. If you do not want or need the 'lower battery pack' the grip can be purchased in this way as I have done. Personally I preferred not to use the battery pack when I had the original e-m5 for I felt it added too much bulk during everyday use and as it costs another £70.00 and I would not use it that often I decided the £70.00 would be spent better or maybe 'wiser' elsewhere .... as in a new pair of shoes for my wife

5) The screen ... well what can I say, it's what I've wanted again since selling my E5 .... yes! at last, the fully articulated screen is back ..... perfect. This is SO useful and was actually a big factor in my purchase of the camera. Although I never 'bonded' with the e-m1 it is a great camera and for the life of me I cannot understand why Olympus did not furnish it with a fully articulated screen. Anyway well done Olympus for reintroducing it

Some have commented on it being fiddly to 'free' from its closed position but I can say with all honesty it causes no such problems for me, then I was used to this feature on the E5 and from my point of view better to be firm than too loose.
The quality of the screen is also very,very good and a pleasure to view. I cannot comment on its view ability in bright daylight for it has been rather cloudy and often wet today.

6) Viewfinder .... yes a big step up from the original e-m5, I can easily manual focus my legacy primes without the need to set 'magnify' or peaking.

7) AF ..... well what do you expect? ..... nothing short of lightening speed with 'native M4/3' lenses. The lenses I have are three Panasonic/Leica variants, namely the following:-

15mm F1.7 asph / 25mm f1.4 asph / 42.5 F1.2 Nocticron asph

By far and away the fastest AF performance is with the 15mm F1.7 , it's as close to instantaneous as possible and at any distance. The 25mm f1.4 is next, focussing 'fast' and sure and without the 'audible clicking' often observed when used with the original e-m5. The slowest of the three, however still very quick IMO and definitely much faster than I can MF is the 42.5mm. I do however observe an 'audible clicking' when using the Nocticron, perhaps there is a lens firmware update available, I shall have to check.

8) Final 'initial' thoughts ..... overall very pleased. The original e-m5 was and still is a great camera, it's replacement is however a BIG step up and that is some praise indeed. I am very much looking forward to getting out and using it but please be patient with me if you want to see some images, I'm so busy with work I'll need to 'create' the time to actually be creative

Finally...... another reason for actually going to the store was that I knew they had the 1.4x convertor available. I don't have the 40-150 F2.8 but was quite sure that this convertor could be used with legacy MF lenses as the necessary mount adapter would be deep enough to accommodate the protruding front element of the convertor. I was correct, you can indeed safely use MF legacy lenses with the 1.4x convertor, my OM Zuiko 100mm F2.0 effectively becomes a 280mm F2.8 in 35mm terms

Other OM Zuikos I plan to use with the 1.4x convertor are:-

50mm F2.0 Macro
85mm F2.0
135mm F2.8
200mm F4.0
200mm F5.0

Along with two Leica M primes .... 75mm F2.0 APO and 135mm F4.0 Tele Elmar

I think the OM 50 & 100 F2.0 along with the Leica's will be particularly special and will give an update in due course.

'Final' finally, Carmarthen Cameras have another four e-m5 mkII available from stock if anyone wants one 'now' !

Apparently Olympus UK sent them more cameras than they were expecting or have pre-orders for. The proprietor told me that anyone who wants one can have one on the 'pre-order deal' because that is how they have come into him. So ... tempting anyone? In stock and available now

Kind regards to all, Simon
Old 28th February 2015
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Sounds good, Simon. If only my memory would repair itself ...

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 28th February 2015

Liked 280 Times in 71 Posts

Sounds great, and echoes my thoughts when I went to the pre-launch, barring the articulating screen

Looking forward to seeing pics, and also possibly hearing if they've managed to improved C-AF?

I'm sure you just mentioned the extra stock to wind me up lol