Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II The first OM-D's successor.

Old 21st February 2015

Liked 284 Times in 180 Posts
Gone 'n' done it !

I'm not known to pre-order anything, however after what I can only describe as a 'sudden rush of blood to the head' I've just broken the habit of a lifetime and ordered a silver e-m5 mkII along with the '1 part grip'.

More than anything else the fully articulated screen has 'swung it' for me, I've missed that feature ever since selling my E5. What do they say about little things pleasing little minds Oh and the 5 1/2 year warranty + messenger bag.

So 'hopefully' this will be 'the' camera to relight my 'digital' mojo, for as good a camera as the e-m1 is I just didn't bond/connect with it and I'm a sucker for 'retro' anything ..... age thing I guess.

Regards, Simon
OM USer (22nd February 2015), Ross the fiddler (22nd February 2015)
Old 21st February 2015

Thanked 1,176 Times in 881 Posts
Liked 5,601 Times in 1,807 Posts
Re: Gone 'n' done it !

Enjoy Simon - and make sure you tell us all about it when it arrives!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Enjoy Simon - and make sure you tell us all about it when it arrives!
Thanks Paul,

And yes I shall, I never pre-order but it is getting close to the extra warranty and bag deadline and I had to make a decision quite soon if I was to take advantage of that. Sometimes one has to take a 'blind leap of faith' and this is one occasion where I believe it will be worth it.

I trust that you are enjoying the e-m1 you bought off of me, may you get great service out of it

Kind regards, Simon
Old 21st February 2015

Liked 799 Times in 229 Posts

Well done Simon, it will be interesting to see how you get on with it and if you 'bond'.

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 21st February 2015

Thanked 1,176 Times in 881 Posts
Liked 5,601 Times in 1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Thanks Paul,

I trust that you are enjoying the e-m1 you bought off of me, may you get great service out of it

Kind regards, Simon
Yes Simon - E-M1 going well. I had a couple of days with it in Shropshire and it worked faultlessly. Some pics on my Flickr page if you want to see them!

Paul Kaye on Flickr

It's a very controllable camera and I like its operation in the hand.

I learned how to use Live Composite mode last week too. Very impressive for product photography.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 21st February 2015

Liked 224 Times in 122 Posts

Congratulations Simon, enjoy your toy when it arrives. I had a little play with the Mark II today at one of 'Big Dog' McGillicuddy's sessions. Very impressed with the monitor quality and the eyepiece looks more robust than on the earlier model. The flip out screen worked a treat but a little stiff to pull out. I'm right handed and needed to hold the camera with my left hand to get purchase.

I have average sized hands but despite the better grip, I think I would need the half grip to feel secure. McGillicuddy claims to be a video novice but his first attempt was excellent. I also saw the 40M in action, difficult to see the real quality on the camera rear screen but it looks like one of those new features that you never knew you needed.

Raw files not yet supported by Photoshop or Lightroom, McGillicuddy claims that he shoots JPEGs for the majority of his commercial clients!

A very attractive package and the 5 1/2 year warranty is extremely tempting, the Olympus rep was unable to say how long the offer will last. The free bag looked fine but not sure that it's worth £239.

All in all, a great Olympus offering, I'm going to ponder longer.

David
Old 21st February 2015

Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,012 Posts
Liked 1,194 Times in 783 Posts

Well Simon you have gone and done it hope all goes well. Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 21st February 2015

Liked 1,294 Times in 790 Posts

Well done Simon, manufacturers always appreciate early adopters beta testing for them.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (22nd February 2015)
Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
Well done Simon, it will be interesting to see how you get on with it and if you 'bond'.
Yes it will indeed Iain, I am 'hopeful' that I will connect with it, I very much liked the mk1 I previously owned, more so than the e-m1.

Kind regards, Simon
Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Yes Simon - E-M1 going well. I had a couple of days with it in Shropshire and it worked faultlessly. Some pics on my Flickr page if you want to see them!

Paul Kaye on Flickr

It's a very controllable camera and I like its operation in the hand.

I learned how to use Live Composite mode last week too. Very impressive for product photography.
Hi Paul,

Good to hear and I very much like the work you have on flickr.

Kind regards, Simon
Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
Congratulations Simon, enjoy your toy when it arrives. I had a little play with the Mark II today at one of 'Big Dog' McGillicuddy's sessions. Very impressed with the monitor quality and the eyepiece looks more robust than on the earlier model. The flip out screen worked a treat but a little stiff to pull out. I'm right handed and needed to hold the camera with my left hand to get purchase.

I have average sized hands but despite the better grip, I think I would need the half grip to feel secure. McGillicuddy claims to be a video novice but his first attempt was excellent. I also saw the 40M in action, difficult to see the real quality on the camera rear screen but it looks like one of those new features that you never knew you needed.

Raw files not yet supported by Photoshop or Lightroom, McGillicuddy claims that he shoots JPEGs for the majority of his commercial clients!

A very attractive package and the 5 1/2 year warranty is extremely tempting, the Olympus rep was unable to say how long the offer will last. The free bag looked fine but not sure that it's worth 239.

All in all, a great Olympus offering, I'm going to ponder longer.

David

Thanks David,

The bag is not 239.00 BTW, ..... that is the 'combined' saving for the bag and the extra warranty. The bag can be bought as an 'accessory' for 99.00.

Kind regards, Simon
Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Well Simon you have gone and done it hope all goes well. Ed
Yep sure have Ed, and that's not really like me but there is something about this one that has really 'called out' to me. Not totally sure what that is yet, apart from the articulated screen but I'm hopeful I will find out in due course

Kind regards, Simon
Old 21st February 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
manufacturers always appreciate early adopters beta testing for them.
Indeed David and I am not one to normally oblige, preferring others to be the 'guinea pig', however this one has really been calling to me like a siren calling a sailor.... hopefully this relationship will not be doomed

As you know I love my film cameras and shoot far more film at the moment but I want a foot in both camps for I'm not a total luddite. I have been 'quietly' choosing a few select primes ready for this purchase and am now 'armed to go' so to speak. It will be teamed up with a Pana/Leica 15mm F1.7, 25mm F1.4, 42.5 F1.2 Nocticron and my recently CLA'd OM 100mm F2.0 .... I'm quite looking forward to using that combo.

Kind regards, Simon
Old 22nd February 2015

Liked 224 Times in 122 Posts

Simon, thanks for pointing out the value of the extra warranty, I thought the value of the bag was optimistic. Incidentally, McG is very keen on some of the Art Filters. Pre-production he calls it.

Regards

David
Old 22nd February 2015

Liked 1,294 Times in 790 Posts

Simon, I'm surprised there's no fast, manual focus primes on your list. The Voigtlander and SLR Magic f/0.95 lenses appeal to me.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.