Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 1st October 2013

Liked 268 Times in 108 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Yahoo

I've received an email telling me to update my Yahoo settings within the next ten days. A search on Google reveals this is quite a common email but nobody seems to know if it is genuine or a phishing exercise. Can anyone help please?

EM1i, EM5ii
Old 1st October 2013
Senior

Liked 112 Times in 47 Posts
Re: Yahoo

I've had these as well, and after logging in to my Yahoo, I couldn't find any messages to upgrade. So I reckon these are phishing exercises.

Visit my website http://dryplaid.zenfolio.com/

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
Old 1st October 2013

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Caught me out just recently

All my contacts then received an email saying that my family and I had been kidnapped and needed money to get home from Manila.

Be careful
Old 1st October 2013

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi I never use an email link, If I think it may be correct I would go to my browser and logon from there never from an email.

If was genuine it would appear on login.

Dave
Old 1st October 2013

Liked 268 Times in 108 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregles View Post

All my contacts then received an email saying that my family and I had been kidnapped and needed money to get home from Manila.

Be careful
It looks a more genuine email than most phishing scams (although some scammers now seem to be making more effort to look 'right') but the originator's address doesn't ring true to me. Fortunately I didn't follow the links and in the light of what you say will delete the email forthwith.

Yesterday I received another email from Yahoo inviting me to watch some comedy film. At the bottom it says I have received the email because I have signed up to receiive emails about Yahoo services. A check on my account shows I have ticked the 'do not send me any offers' box so I guess this too is spam. What is worrying is the apparent sophistication of the emails. I'm not surprised you were taken in.

EM1i, EM5ii
Old 1st October 2013

Liked 307 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregles View Post

Be careful
Thought you'd been a bit quiet recently. I like to think the two grand I sent them helped secure your release - you can repay me in instalments if you like.

I've been getting emails from Amazon confirming the order which I didn't place, each one with an attachment. Amazon don't do attachments (bit like tax).
Mr Kaspersky kills them for me.
Old 1st October 2013

Thanked 1,257 Times in 990 Posts
Liked 1,841 Times in 1,031 Posts

Yes, I got one too. The main thing to remember is to never click on any links within the email & just check the account settings & notices, so I will go & delete that one now too.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 1st October 2013

Liked 755 Times in 486 Posts

Similar e-mails have been doing the rounds on BT here as well, as BT use Yahoo! as their mail service. What is especially confusing (and potentially dangerous) is that BT have been sending customers genuine e-mails about upgrading their systems!

I use Mailwasher to prescreen my e-mail, and it flags up discrepancies between the name in a link and the server it actually links to.