Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 12th March 2012

Liked 2,629 Times in 809 Posts
Not the Flight Shot I was planning

Yesterday I was standing on the riverbank at my favourite nature reserve, watching a pair of Marsh Harriers displaying in the distance. Suddenly I noticed another Harrier moving towards me, getting ever closer and eventually flying just over my head. I got my camera onto it but couldn't get it to focus. It was by far the closest Marsh Harrier I have ever seen there and I was devastated to have missed it.

A few minutes later I heard the noise of an engine approaching and this microlight appeared over the trees behind me. I took a couple of shots and this was the result. I wish it had been the Marsh Harrier, though.

Taken with an E-30, 50-200 SWD and EC-14.

Ron
Old 12th March 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,070 Times in 2,386 Posts
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,017 Posts
Re: Not the Flight Shot I was planning

Well, you got something out of it, Ron, and that's a nice shot. Sorry you didn't get your Marsh Harrier though.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th March 2012

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Might not have been what you wanted, but it's a lovely crisp shot.
Old 13th March 2012

Liked 2,629 Times in 809 Posts

Many thanks for the comments.

These things have unexpected consequences. I posted this shot on the birding forum which I use and one of the wardens from the reserve in question replied to say that this microlight has been causing a bit of a nuisance recently by flying over the reserve. There are several rare species, such as Bitterns and Marsh Harriers, which breed there and they could be disturbed by the noise. He congratulated me on getting a clear shot and asked if he could use my image for further evidence to incriminate the person. I didn't foresee that when I took the photo!

Ron
Old 13th March 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good, especially as it's coming up to nesting time.
Old 13th March 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It is indeed very crisp and clear, nice
www.dgpix.org.uk
My Flickr
Old 13th March 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Many thanks for the comments.

These things have unexpected consequences. I posted this shot on the birding forum which I use and one of the wardens from the reserve in question replied to say that this microlight has been causing a bit of a nuisance recently by flying over the reserve. There are several rare species, such as Bitterns and Marsh Harriers, which breed there and they could be disturbed by the noise. He congratulated me on getting a clear shot and asked if he could use my image for further evidence to incriminate the person. I didn't foresee that when I took the photo!

Ron
We have a similar problem with low flying aircraft (usually WW2 military aircraft practicing aerobatics! ) over our (Essex Wildlife Trust) reserve at Abberton reservoir. Our warden is working with Natural England to try and get the area designated as a prohibited area for low flying and we try and get registrations and photographs of each incident to support this. Unfortunately the pilots are not actually breaking any laws without such an official designation. It is popularly believed that aircraft are not allowed to fly below 500ft under the so called "500ft rule".Regretably this is not the case. The rule says that aircraft may not fly closer than 500ft to buildings, structures, roads and vehicles which in the case of most nature reserves are not present. ( I know a little about this as I once held a pilot's licence ).
One thing that could be tried is to contact the pilot/owner and advise him of the problems he is causing. The CAA have an online database of aircraft registrations which will give you the name and address of the owner at
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.asp...ype=65&appid=1
In this case the owner lives in Norwich.

Hope this may help.

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 13th March 2012
Ozont

Indeed, a VERY clean image! Nice shot.