Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 8th December 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Who might be up for a "2011 - photo a day" challenge...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
How about trying one photo per week for a start and see how that goes?
I see no reason why you can't do a photo a week if that's what you are able to do, but I'd prefer to set this as a daily challenge to start with. I'd prefer to see if it works that way around i.e. daily then if not, weekly; rather than the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinator View Post
I like the idea of doing a photo a day, particularly as it should help me 'open my eyes' more when I'm out and about. I doubt I will last long and will probably fall away fairly early on, but I will definately have a crack at it.

Kelvin
I am sure many people who may start this would fall away... myself possibly too... but if we do get this going, I'll be trying to get as many people staying as part of the challenge as possible.

Old 8th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Phew, the blog site I use is based round the picture a day idea, and it's awfully difficult to keep up to date, so I probably wont join in although I'll certainly enjoy looking at all your pictures. Good luck with it
Old 8th December 2010
davidsa

A photo a week, with a rule that shots taken in the preceding - say - two weeks would be acceptable, might be more realistic.

David
Old 9th December 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,064 Times in 2,382 Posts
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,017 Posts

I see no reason why we shouldn't run both Picture a Day and Picture a Week to cater for all requirements and aspirations. I'm undecided about participating myself. I don't want to place myself under pressure and end up producing lots of boring, repetitive, sub-standard pictures just to fullfil my daily quota (OK I know I do that already but I mean even more so). On the other hand it could offer me an incentive to get out more and take more photographs. I'll think about it.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th December 2010
kendo

Yep 'One a Day' is a challenge that would concentrate my mind in the year before I retire. Could be a substantial record of boring joy the new etc
Old 9th December 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,064 Times in 2,382 Posts
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo View Post
Yep 'One a Day' is a challenge that would concentrate my mind in the year before I retire. Could be a substantial record of boring joy the new etc
Hi Kendo, and welcome to the forum!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 9th December 2010

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

I'm sure I could give it a go whatever format is chosen, that's barring ill health of course.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 9th December 2010

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

We ran a photo a day project on the Olympus Safari Group last year and it was definately a difficult challenge. The target was to take 1 photo per day for 90 days. Very few were able to keep up with his due to work and personal commitments.

The option of a pic-a-day and a pic-a-week is good as it will allow people with different commitment levels to take part.

Personally I would suggest that the images would need to be taken in the proceding week to the submission, this will allow time to get back to your computer, pp and upload. It really depends what you are trying to achieve from the challenge as to whether you allow older pictures, but my personal view is if you allow older images to be submitted you could do the same in other areas of the forum and this challenge should really be about getting you using your camera more and perfecting your skills.

An appropraite way of displaying and commenting of the images is necessary. Again there is two possible routes I can see, either you either follow a single person or all the submissions for the day/week are grouped together. If you want to encourage people to comment the second route is probably perferable as everyone's images will get the same exposure to the group, whereas a personal based thread/blog could end up with only certain "popular" people being followed.

It would also be good if the publisher of the images can confirm what they want to gain from the challenge. Do they want feedback or purely displaying the images for everyones pleasure and to provide inspiration.

This could also be a good opportunity to get a few more meets arranged or work on a common subject (I'm aways interested in other people interpretation of a subject) bit like the challenges.

Anyway they are my current thoughts.

I doubt I could keep up with a pic-a-day, but would definately try to do the pic-a-week as I don't get out as much with my camera as I would like and this would definately give me a reason.

Simon
Old 22nd December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to AlistairJ

I participated in the smugmug daily photo community for a while. Its hard work, and if you are like me you often had to post images you are really not happy with, or miss days, or make other forms of compromises. I was able to keep with it for a few months then had to take a break.

Can I suggest you make the rules quite flexible, so that everyone can follow their own scheme, that they find acceptable and possible to keep up with? The more informal the better.

Count me in I would try to average a picture a day, either taken that day or very recently, or alternatively some fresh post-processing work on an old image.

alistairj.smugmug.com
Old 23rd December 2010

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

I managed 72 days on a FlickR group including the classic bedside alarm clock showing 23:59 .... most people did at some stage. Bit of a personal guilt thing when I gave up.

Certainly makes you think and take a camera wherever you go so thats a good thing.

I've got another project from mid February, building a Caterham car kit, which I intend to photograph as it progresses ... you might get a few car building pics I'm afraid!

Just might be up for it again.

Chris