Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 15th July 2009

Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
How to test?

well i have got a modded Konica Hexanon 40mm and I have the Nikkor 50 mm...
While I am unlikely to relinquish either readily what could I do to test them to show how well they work on an E system camera?
What info could I give you to inform your choice if you thought of going for one or the other?
Old 15th July 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,409 Times in 818 Posts
Re: How to test?

I've always found taking an image of a page of a magazine (one with lots of print on) can serve as a good "test chart" using several sheets if the closest focus will not fill the FOV with a single page.

I also like to do a few quick swaps to try the lens against a known quantity, such as the OM Zuiko 24mm f/2.8

Most important of all - Have Fun

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 16th July 2009

Liked 1,236 Times in 482 Posts

They are both great lenses, I have used them myself...

Here is a shot with the '40mm

http://www.snaar.co.uk/Legacy/original/hex40.jpg and here is one using the Nikon E 50mm http://www.snaar.co.uk/Legacy/original/nik50.jpg

In fact I have a page of various legacy lens pictures here http://www.snaar.co.uk/Legacy/index

However this is what I would suggest. Select one of them: Fit it on your E-series camera and leave all your other lenses at home.. That's the important bit.

Spend a day out working with a single lens and make yourself be inventive within those constraints. Its quite a good discipline, no zoom, no AF. Just you and the image

Then show us what you get :-)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 16th July 2009

Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts

oh they are working well

Old 16th July 2009
mike_j

There are lots of worthy and boring ways to test a lens, charts, brick walls etc but real life use is hard to beat in order to get the feel of the lens handling and images it produces.

It is probably worth taking a standard shot though to eliminate variables and concentrate purely on lens performance.

I have one standard test. I work as a volunteer ranger at a trust which has a watermill dating from 1755 and a few years ago I built a bird hide against the millpond. All year round I take the same picture focused on the same spot from exactly the same place using the same focal length lens and now have a 4 year slide show of the changing seasons which is quite a hit at the centre - sort of poor man's time lapse. However for some time I have also been taking the same shot using any other cameras and lenses I happen to have and it is quite interesting how, by eliminating a lot of variables you can see the different renderings of various lenses.

This is the standard shot