Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th November 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,991 Times in 2,327 Posts
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,909 Posts
Re: Test Of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
My father passed away last week, almost exactly three years after suffering a massive stroke that left him severely disabled. One reason why I am so interested in photography was because of him. He shot 35mm half frame trabsparencies and there are many boxes of his slides waiting to be explored. As the family lived for periods of over a year or so in three different Far Eastern countries (Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines) I'm keen to re-live the family slide shows we used to hold and to remember some of the fantastic places I visited and called home as a child.

John's great example, here, has inspired me further As there are literally hundreds, maybe over a thousand, slides, I will probably hire a Reflecta automatic slide scanner (about 100 for a week, which I think is good for a scanner than costs 1200 new). I believe it has hardware detection dust removal (aka ICE), which is a bonus. I have several Braun Paximat rotary carousels, which the Reflacta can take, and I will be able to scan some of my own slides as well.

Here's one of me from the late 70s, poor colour, sadly, but a good memory nonethless!

Ian
It was my father who introduced me to photography too. The scanner hire service sounds interesting and I'm sure it will be a sound investment for you, with that many slides to scan! With all those places you have lived at different times in your life those old photos must be a real treasure trove! Be cautious about ICE, in my experience it is only partly effective at dust removal and tends to lose detail, but of course it might be better implemented in the Reflecta.

It doesn't matter that some old slides suffer from poor colour, they are still important records of our past and I'm sure you'll find some happy memories of your Dad when you go through your collection.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau