Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 24th December 2016
IainMacD's Avatar
IainMacD IainMacD is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Drumnadrochit
Posts: 2,939
Thanks: 1,103
Thanked 473 Times in 422 Posts
Likes: 1,129
Liked 396 Times in 158 Posts
Re: Exif data

I have Lightroom setup to export with Exif data intact automatically, but recently entered a competition that required all Exit/metadata to be removed from images, that proved quite a challenge!
__________________
Iain

E-M5 II, 7.5, 9-18, 12-40, 17, 35-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 100-400, 300

Website
Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 24th December 2016
alfbranch's Avatar
alfbranch alfbranch is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitehaven Cumbria
Posts: 5,392
Thanks: 1,265
Thanked 670 Times in 632 Posts
Likes: 763
Liked 1,572 Times in 608 Posts
Re: Exif data

Exif data is useful to help critique shots especially when trying to work out whether as shot is blurred due to being out focus or camera shake etc.

Or why something is out of focus due to small aperture giving lack of Dof or derfracton

It also helps to advise on modes etc to use.
__________________
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 29th December 2016
OM USer's Avatar
OM USer OM USer is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Posts: 7,485
Thanks: 1,441
Thanked 1,072 Times in 1,030 Posts
Likes: 3,814
Liked 653 Times in 484 Posts
Re: Exif data

EXIF data is always handy to have a look at.
__________________
Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (29th December 2016)
  #19  
Old 31st December 2016
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 3,183
Thanks: 42
Thanked 454 Times in 428 Posts
Likes: 26
Liked 1,295 Times in 739 Posts
Re: Exif data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
Hi, if they edit the exit then you then it is criminal intent
Only if done so for gain.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 5th January 2017
Harold Gough Harold Gough is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reading UK
Posts: 3,183
Thanks: 42
Thanked 454 Times in 428 Posts
Likes: 26
Liked 1,295 Times in 739 Posts
Re: Exif data

My EM-1 EXIF data includes the serial numbers of m4/3 lenses used but NOT that of the camera body. There is just a space where it should be. I have been unable to access to enter it.

Harold
__________________
The body is willing but the mind is weak.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 5th January 2017
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 5,418
Thanks: 257
Thanked 321 Times in 273 Posts
Likes: 1,562
Liked 1,107 Times in 760 Posts
Re: Exif data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
My EM-1 EXIF data includes the serial numbers of m4/3 lenses used but NOT that of the camera body. There is just a space where it should be. I have been unable to access to enter it.

Harold
There are certain functions in Adobe PS that can be set to work with specific camera serial numbers.

There must be a way of enabling it somehow, but I suspect it has something to do with data protection, and tracing 'anonymous' photographers through serial numbers.

I remember there was a case a few years ago where photographs had been broadcast by an anonymous photographer from his Canon camera. I cannot remember the subject, but there was a great deal of public interest in it.

Canon said they could identify the photographer through the serial number, which was embedded in the image even when the EXIF data was stripped, but they would not do so.

This is similar to the recent case where Apple refused to unlock a dead terrorist's iPhone.
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 16th March 2017
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 3,625
Thanks: 403
Thanked 303 Times in 271 Posts
Likes: 468
Liked 971 Times in 589 Posts
Re: Exif data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
As long as you have the original film or file, (ideally a camera RAW file) with EXIF data, that is all that is needed.

In any case, it is easy enough to edit the EXIF data in a Jpeg, so that provides no protection at all.
I have a need (*) to modify JPEG EXIF data and I'm wondering how I can do this.
If you (or anyone else) could advise how I could do this, I would be obliged.
Many thanks.

* I'm calibrating a Sekonic L-758
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 16th March 2017
peak4's Avatar
peak4 peak4 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: sheffield
Posts: 1,289
Thanks: 73
Thanked 157 Times in 137 Posts
Likes: 28
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Re: Exif data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I have a need (*) to modify JPEG EXIF data and I'm wondering how I can do this.
If you (or anyone else) could advise how I could do this, I would be obliged.
Many thanks.

* I'm calibrating a Sekonic L-758
Try Phil Harvey's Exiftool, or do a search for same, as there's a GUI for it too.

Sorry for the brief reply, but it's bedtime.
__________________
Best Regards
Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 16th March 2017
Crazy Dave Crazy Dave is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Surrey
Posts: 449
Thanks: 42
Thanked 46 Times in 39 Posts
Likes: 128
Liked 140 Times in 80 Posts
Re: Exif data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
There are certain functions in Adobe PS that can be set to work with specific camera serial numbers.

There must be a way of enabling it somehow, but I suspect it has something to do with data protection, and tracing 'anonymous' photographers through serial numbers.

I remember there was a case a few years ago where photographs had been broadcast by an anonymous photographer from his Canon camera. I cannot remember the subject, but there was a great deal of public interest in it.

Canon said they could identify the photographer through the serial number, which was embedded in the image even when the EXIF data was stripped, but they would not do so.

This is similar to the recent case where Apple refused to unlock a dead terrorist's iPhone.
I remember the Apple case. However, two days ago, I visited a fascinating demo in the Old Truman Brewery on Brick Lane, London. There were three young Aussies showing 3D printing, AI, holograms and virtual reality. We got onto the subject of hacking into computer systems through chipped domestic devices like fridges, TVs, etc. Interestingly, the 27 year old owner of the firm doing the demo said that he could hack into my iPhone in 10 minutes. I believed him.

David
__________________
The beauty of not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by periods of anxiety
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 16th March 2017
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 3,625
Thanks: 403
Thanked 303 Times in 271 Posts
Likes: 468
Liked 971 Times in 589 Posts
Re: Exif data

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
Try Phil Harvey's Exiftool, or do a search for same, as there's a GUI for it too.

Sorry for the brief reply, but it's bedtime.
Thank you, I'll give it a go.

I wonder if it was this programme that Naughty Nigel was referring to, or does he he know of another method?
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 16th March 2017
Naughty Nigel's Avatar
Naughty Nigel Naughty Nigel is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Land of the Prince Bishops
Posts: 5,418
Thanks: 257
Thanked 321 Times in 273 Posts
Likes: 1,562
Liked 1,107 Times in 760 Posts
Re: Exif data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Thank you, I'll give it a go.

I wonder if it was this programme that Naughty Nigel was referring to, or does he he know of another method?
You can edit certain fields in Photoshop, (File, Properties, etc.), and also in Windows Explorer by right clicking on the file and selecting Properties.

This is possible in *.jpg, *.tiff and *.psd files, but not camera raw files.

I haven't tried Exiftool, but I suspect it allows access to fields that cannot be edited in Photoshop or Explorer.

Does Exiftool allow EXIF data in raw files to be edited I wonder?
__________________
---------------

Naughty Nigel


Difficult is worth doing
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 16th March 2017
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 3,625
Thanks: 403
Thanked 303 Times in 271 Posts
Likes: 468
Liked 971 Times in 589 Posts
Re: Exif data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
You can edit certain fields in Photoshop, (File, Properties, etc.), and also in Windows Explorer by right clicking on the file and selecting Properties.

This is possible in *.jpg, *.tiff and *.psd files, but not camera raw files.

I haven't tried Exiftool, but I suspect it allows access to fields that cannot be edited in Photoshop or Explorer.

Does Exiftool allow EXIF data in raw files to be edited I wonder?
I'm not a Photoshop user, unfortunately, Lightroom only.
On face value, Windows properties should allow you to delete all 'private' data by selecting all and hitting delete. However, when the JPEG image is opened in Sekonic's Data Transfer Software the exposure details are still there.
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 16th March 2017
David M's Avatar
David M David M is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A Brit now living in Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,335
Thanks: 40
Thanked 662 Times in 625 Posts
Likes: 216
Liked 1,176 Times in 727 Posts
Re: Exif data

If you've got an Android phone or tablet Photo Exif Editor allows you to edit dozens of fields.
__________________
It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 17th March 2017
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 3,625
Thanks: 403
Thanked 303 Times in 271 Posts
Likes: 468
Liked 971 Times in 589 Posts
Re: Exif data

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
If you've got an Android phone or tablet Photo Exif Editor allows you to edit dozens of fields.
I'm an apple user but my wife has android devices. From your experience, does Photo EXIF Editor work?
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 17th March 2017
David M's Avatar
David M David M is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A Brit now living in Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 6,335
Thanks: 40
Thanked 662 Times in 625 Posts
Likes: 216
Liked 1,176 Times in 727 Posts
Re: Exif data

Well, according to the EXIF this was taken on film in the 90's with an OM2N.

__________________
It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David M For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (17th March 2017)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EXIF data Walti Software 6 25th June 2016 07:45 PM
HELP! Exif data analyser StephenL Software 4 17th July 2011 06:52 PM
E5 Copyright data in the exif wezzzor Olympus E-5 2 23rd February 2011 11:24 PM
EXIF data E-P1 fan Olympus E-1 7 7th July 2009 05:01 PM
Flash EXIF data Paulpp Flash 0 16th April 2009 06:58 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:16 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2017, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger