Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 19th September 2015

Liked 1,261 Times in 613 Posts
Re: Communal dragonfly and butterfly thread

Peter, open up the image you want to share then click on the curved upward pointing arrow, (shows as "Share Photo" when you roll the mouse over it)

Click on BBCode and the box will fill with a URL, + image size in a drop down box.

Highlight and copy the URL and paste into your reply here (you see a most unwieldy looking string posted in your message)

Job should be done but you can check by going "Advanced" and looking at your preview
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
art frames (19th September 2015), cliff (19th September 2015), Olybirder (19th September 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
art frames (19th September 2015), cliff (19th September 2015)
Old 19th September 2015

Liked 608 Times in 298 Posts

Just 3 more to keep this going. Please if you have been looking dig us out your own pictures. We want this to be about the joy you had in seeing and taking shots.

But until then..

another clouded yellow, just because of the colours...

and a very athletic pose from a Western Spectre dragonfly, in France. On the top of a barn building opposite where we were staying in Tarn and Garonne.

finally, a Large Pincertail (or sometimes called a Blue-Eyed Hook-Tailed Dragonfly), once again in France. Despite the look of the claw it was not at all fierce and is extremely beautiful.

You can see some of my things on Flickr
bredman (21st September 2015), brian1208 (19th September 2015), cliff (21st September 2015), Hemlockwood (19th September 2015), Olybirder (19th September 2015), PeterBirder (19th September 2015), raymondo (8th October 2015), Yorkie (9th March 2016)
Old 19th September 2015

I am just trying out posting an image from Flickr, as Brian has demystified the process for us. It works but I couldn't get the video to work, so that is a link to where it plays, unless Brian knows how.

This is a brown hawker female ovipositing (laying eggs) into soft plant material where the larva will hatch in due course. I was very pleased to see this as it is fairly secretive behaviour. Any insect is very vulnerable when laying eggs and is easily put off so I was careful in my approach.

Brown Hawker ovipositing
by Peter Willmott, on Flickr

After taking a few pictures I tried a little hand held video. That was shot with the same lens 40-150 plus teleconverter on the EM5mk2. The camera has really good stability in video mode and this short piece of video (i minute) might explain a bit more of the behaviour.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131956...in/dateposted/

Brown hawkers are fairly active dragonflies, they tend to patrol up and down rather than perch so I am very happy to have been able to get close and get some different images.

cliff (21st September 2015), Hemlockwood (19th September 2015), Olybirder (19th September 2015), raymondo (19th September 2015)
Old 19th September 2015

nice series Peter, nope - I didn't even know it was possible to use video with flikr, so you can guide us on this one
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
art frames (20th September 2015)
Old 20th September 2015

Hope this post will encourage some one else to look into their archive and find their own dragonfly/damselfly sex pics.

I know there will be lots. Please don't feel shy, what can possibly be embarrassing about watching and taking photos of 'procreation' happening.

Still here is my first which I give 10 out of 10 for added danger. If I was a tabloid sub editor I might invent a pointed title...

And this one which has a bit of a story to it. I have only twice seen banded demoiselles mating. Once in the top of a tree. And this second time where I watched a very unusual behaviour. In most field guides it says the males all occupy specially selected spots next to the river. They fight for their territory and wait for a female to chose them. What I observed was this male nowhere near a river barge at high speed into a flying female, knocking her out of the air, into a bush where he mated with her. It was so fast, I doubted what I had seen.

So I later checked all of the reference books I have to see if this was normal. Most made no mention but I found one small reference to this as 'a rare behaviour' which may occur where there are too many males and the best territories are all taken and well protected. (At this site there are many hundreds of demoiselles - which is good for photography). Some males then act in this way to win a mate.

I thought it was an interesting, if unpleasant behaviour. And worth sharing.

So does anyone else have any pictures of dragonfly/damselfly action pics.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
cliff (21st September 2015), Yorkie (22nd September 2015)
brian1208 (20th September 2015), Olybirder (21st September 2015), raymondo (8th October 2015)
Old 21st September 2015

I keep posting a few pictures to try and get this going. I know lots of people take pictures of butterflies and dragonflies. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Anyway, I am looking to answer one of Ron's questions from early on. In doing so I am having to look through pictures from a few years back. Still not found it but I thought this was interesting. And I am still looking for Ron!

the colour is not processed. It is just a gentle crop to make the butterfly a little bigger. But this is how it was on the day, a blue butterfly (provencal short tailed blue) in a field of very dry grain (wheat?) in France. I kept very calm and took a number of pictures. Some were in focus (well it was my e3 and 150mm macro so heavy to hand hold) and this one is quite nice, I think. But the fact it looks highly processed to bring out the blue against a monotone is a trick of the brain - it is all natural.

brian1208 (21st September 2015), cliff (21st September 2015), Olybirder (21st September 2015), raymondo (8th October 2015)
Old 21st September 2015

As you requested Peter, I had a scrabble in my recent files and found these which may be of interest (each shot using the EM-5 mk2 + 60mm macro with Metz macro flash, this doesn't show in EXIF because of the way it connected via the PC-sync socket) :

A Mint Moth

mint moth by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr

A Large White taking off from Bowles Mauve perennial wallflower

large white taking off from bowles mauve-Edit-Edit by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr

a Holly Blue making a rare stop in our garden (usually only seen as one of a pair of blue "leaves" fluttering across the garden during a mating dance )

holly blue 2-6-15 by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
art frames (21st September 2015), Yorkie (22nd September 2015)
cliff (21st September 2015), raymondo (8th October 2015)
Old 21st September 2015

Brian

I think your shots bring something very different to this so thank you for looking and posting them here.

The mint moth looks very interesting. I shall have to look him up. I know very little about moths (beyond the day flying hawk moths) but he is a beauty.

Another BIF with a real feel for the action. How did you get the movement?

And any butterfly shot that shows the scales is going to get 10/10 from me. Great stuff.

Hope to see some more comments and pictures soon.

Old 21st September 2015

Liked 297 Times in 154 Posts

Only had my EM5Mk2 a few days.

Took this in the garden

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
art frames (21st September 2015), Yorkie (22nd September 2015)
brian1208 (21st September 2015), cliff (21st September 2015), raymondo (8th October 2015)
Old 21st September 2015

thanks Peter, the Mint moth is one of the day-flying Micro Moth family and is wide-spread and common, but being quite tiny is often over-looked in the garden.

The movement with the White was a direct consequence of having such a low shutter speed when trying to capture take off, like so many bugs and bees, butterflies accelerate very rapidly on take off (and I usually miss the moment as a consequence )
Old 21st September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Only had my EM5Mk2 a few days.

Took this in the garden

Thank you for posting your painted lady, it has done well to get to Cheshire. I am always delighted to have a 'painted lady year'. Not sure yet on how many thousands have made the journey from Africa/southern Europe. But I have seen a good number and they are a wonderful butterfly.

Hope you post some more as you enjoy your new camera. I have an em5mk2 too and love it to bits.

best wishes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
wornish (21st September 2015), Yorkie (22nd September 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
raymondo (8th October 2015)
Old 21st September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
thanks Peter, the Mint moth is one of the day-flying Micro Moth family and is wide-spread and common, but being quite tiny is often over-looked in the garden.

The movement with the White was a direct consequence of having such a low shutter speed when trying to capture take off, like so many bugs and bees, butterflies accelerate very rapidly on take off (and I usually miss the moment as a consequence )
Brian, I have my fair share of misses too. It would be a good competition to post our worst (or worst we have kept) with one of our best to show it was just a matter of timing

I will look up the Mint moth and see just how common it is. I don't remember ever seeing one... so you could have declared it as a real rarity.

Old 21st September 2015

Peter, if you fancy a bit more of a challenge (mainly because they are so small) have a look for an Owl Midge Moth.

I only spotted this one because it landed on our kitchen window and at around 3mm doubt I would ever have spotted it in the garden

Owl midge moth by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
art frames (22nd September 2015)
alfbranch (9th March 2016), art frames (22nd September 2015), cliff (21st September 2015), Magus (21st September 2015), raymondo (8th October 2015), themosttogain (23rd September 2015), Wee man (5th October 2015), wornish (21st September 2015)
Old 21st September 2015

Liked 285 Times in 140 Posts

Hello everyone .

Here's a shot with the OM 90mm f2 Macro on the EM1.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oyn286]

Male Common Blue with the O60mm.

OM-D E-M1. Still have an E-M5 too. Oly 45, 60, 75, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8, 300/4. Plus some old glass.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bredman For This Useful Post:
art frames (22nd September 2015), Yorkie (22nd September 2015)
brian1208 (21st September 2015), cliff (21st September 2015), JohnGG (30th September 2015), raymondo (8th October 2015), wornish (22nd September 2015)
Old 22nd September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
Peter, if you fancy a bit more of a challenge (mainly because they are so small) have a look for an Owl Midge Moth.

I only spotted this one because it landed on our kitchen window and at around 3mm doubt I would ever have spotted it in the garden

Owl midge moth by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr
Brian

You do bring an assortment of the weird and wonderful. I was very interested in the Mint moth - lovely to look at and feeds on mint and marjoram. So my image of your lovely garden is of a special place, a scented garden of herbs and perfumed plants..

But then you say these Owl midge moth (flies) are crawling up your windows. My searches on them tell me they are a true fly (but furry like a moth) and several of the links are to pest control companies

One of those tells me "Owl midges are common in the vicinity of sewage works where they are a nuisance pest as they fly into the eyes, mouth and nostrils. They breed on fungi, algae, bacteria and general sludge that make up the biological layer present on the surface of sewage filter beds. They can often be found in smaller numbers in sump drains where waste water collects before being pumped away. They are slow breeding with roughly 8 generations a year and in smaller numbers they are usually nothing more than a nuisance pest but can be an indicator of waste water blockages."

Now my image of your lovely garden has changed. I wonder why you have an abundance of sweet smelling herbs. Does your neighbour clear drains for a living?

And I worry for others who look in - MargaretM who only a few days back was delighted we weren't including spiders. How will she feel about you bringing your sewage feeding swamp flies to us?

Sorry...couldn't resist some OTT humour. I have probably found the wrong moth on the Internet. Forgive me.

But Brian has set a new level does anyone want to go deeper?