Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 22nd May 2015

Liked 1,712 Times in 602 Posts
Ebay Click and Collect

I have been meaning to get a lens hood for my new 17mm f/1.8 for some time so, being unwilling to splash out around £60 on the genuine Olympus item, I looked at the alternatives. On Ebay I found a company selling a replica version for £17.99 including free delivery, so I decided to take a punt on it.

As an alternative to waiting in for the package to arrive I decided to use Click and Collect via my local Argos store, especially as it quoted probable next day collection. I placed the order on Tuesday and later that day received an email to confirm that the package had been dispatched and that I would receive an email from Argos with the collection code when it arrived. That was anticipated to be Wednesday.

Since then I have been waiting for the email but it hasn't arrived yet. I contacted the seller today who confirmed that the item had been dispatched on Tuesday and that if I hadn't received it in a few days I should let them know and they would send another one to my home address.

I then decided to go to the Argos store to see if they could tell me whether then have received the item yet but they said that it wouldn't be in their store as the email is automatically generated when the item is booked in.

All I can do now is wait and hope that they will contact me before too long. I wish I had chosen to have it delivered directly to my home. I rarely use Ebay and I can see why now and I will definitely not be using Click and Collect again.

Of course, all this hassle could have been avoided if Olympus included a hood with the lens. Sigma manage to do it with their much cheaper 19mm f/2.8 and they include a pouch as well. But that is another subject, I suppose.

Ron
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (17th July 2017)
Old 22nd May 2015

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Re: Ebay Click and Collect

Conversely, I've used click & collect twice via e-Bay/Argos and on both occasions successfully collected the item when specified.
Old 22nd May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
Conversely, I've used click & collect twice via e-Bay/Argos and on both occasions successfully collected the item when specified.
Well, it's comforting to know that the system does work. I use the Argos click and collect a lot and am a big fan of it. It is handy to check the stock online, order it and then go and collect it in the evening, when the store is quiet.

The problem in this case is that I don't know whether the item has been successfully delivered to Argos or whether it has become bogged down in their stocking system somewhere.

Ron
Old 22nd May 2015

Liked 798 Times in 459 Posts

I've used Ebay a great deal, and have rarely had problems. When I have, on only one occasion did Paypal itself not reimburse me (that was for software delivered on line - beware - it was a supposedly well-known and 'straight' software house, based in Canada!) Ebay itself has reimbursed me on two or three occasions, when the seller was either downright dishonest or otherwise delinquent.

I've found Ebay to work pretty well on the whole, and that's more than can be said for some high street chains. I've experienced staff in a large EA electrical store even deny my right under the law.

BUT - be warned! Firmware is a very grey area. We, the customers, have to be able to prove that an item is faulty. Just try and prove it where firmware is concerned!
Old 22nd May 2015

Liked 1,147 Times in 781 Posts

We have used the Argos Click and Collect a few times now. Delivery sometimes seems to take quite a bit longer than quoted, (especially in the run up to Christmas), but nothing has ever gone missing.

However, I was disappointed to find that Argos won't take my Green Shield Stamps any more.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
raymondo (22nd May 2015)
Old 26th May 2015

Well, it's been a week since I placed the order and I still haven't received an email from Argos with the collection code. I assume it has gone astray somewhere, so I will have to contact the seller again and see if he will send another one directly to my home address. I am not very impressed with the Click and Collect system.

Ron
Old 26th May 2015

Liked 98 Times in 63 Posts

Out of the twenty or so times I've used click and collect, one has gone astray. the seller was contacted on the day it was meant to arrive and shipped to my own address as an alternative - It arrived the next day.
Olybirder (26th May 2015)
Old 26th May 2015

Liked 605 Times in 406 Posts

On occasions when I've noticed a 'Click and Collect' option, it's been no quicker than the delivery to my door, so I couldn't see the point.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Old 26th May 2015

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
On occasions when I've noticed a 'Click and Collect' option, it's been no quicker than the delivery to my door, so I couldn't see the point.

Jim
I agree with the delivery time but I'm never in so it's convenient to nominate an Argos near where I happen to be working and pick the item up from there.

Used it a few times and never a problem so far...until the next time I use it!
The Following User Says Thank You to mm500 For This Useful Post:
Old 26th May 2015

Liked 98 Times in 63 Posts

Convenience for me too. The guys in the post room know me by name at work and I feel I should give them a break sometimes!
Old 26th May 2015

I have emailed the seller and asked him to send another one directly to me. He replied, asking for my address, which I then provided. I haven't heard anything else since but, hopefully, it should be with me in the next day or so.

Ron
Old 27th May 2015

Hallelujah, my lens hood eventually turned up about 15 minutes ago, so the matter was resolved very quickly in the end. I definitely won't bother with click and collect again, as I spent much longer waiting in for non existent emails than I would have done waiting for the postman

The hood itself looks better than I expected. It is boxed with the brand name 'Lingo' and looks well made and finished. I had to tighten the screw up quite a way before it gripped the lens properly but that might become easier with use. The only problem is that it's a bit fiddly using the normal lens cap. A centre pinch one would be easier.

Ron
Old 27th May 2015

Liked 798 Times in 459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Hallelujah, my lens hood eventually turned up about 15 minutes ago, so the matter was resolved very quickly in the end. I definitely won't bother with click and collect again, as I spent much longer waiting in for non existent emails than I would have done waiting for the postman

The hood itself looks better than I expected. It is boxed with the brand name 'Lingo' and looks well made and finished. I had to tighten the screw up quite a way before it gripped the lens properly but that might become easier with use. The only problem is that it's a bit fiddly using the normal lens cap. A centre pinch one would be easier.

Ron
At least a good outcome, Ron. You never know, the delay could have been due to a certain Royal Mail not doing its stuff. I've had letters take over a week to arrive lately, where they've been sent second class. Pay more and get less seems to be a good definition of customer service these days.

I'm glad to hear you've got it, and it's OK.
Old 27th May 2015

Yes Keith, I suspect the problem occurred en route between the sellers and Argos. The sellers, ukbargaincamerastore, have been extremely helpful so I hope they eventually receive the original item back from Argos when and if it arrives.

I must admit I quietly smiled at the idea of a Chinese firm adopting the brand name 'Lingo' but their workmanship and presentation of the product look impressive.

Ron
Old 17th July 2017

Liked 1,349 Times in 765 Posts

I have just collected an Ebay item from Argos. I was informed that Argos may soon cease C & C due to staff signatures being forged by couriers delivering packages.

Harold