Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-500

Olympus E-500 E-500 specific discussion.

Old 25th November 2010
TYS1977

Setting the E-500 to take the best quality picture possible

Hi Folks,
As the title says, could anyone suggest the best settings on the E-500 to get the maximum sharpness/detail on the picture,I know this probably sounds like a silly question but I'm really struggling at the mo in the current light with the 70-300mm lens on,my images are somewhat "soft/fuzzy' I've noticed the sharpness mode in the settings for VIVID,NATURAL ETC, could this help???

Kindest regards
Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Ulfric M Douglas (26th November 2010)
Old 26th November 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,974 Times in 2,311 Posts
Liked 3,901 Times in 1,840 Posts
Re: Setting the E-500 to take the best quality picture possible

Hi mark,

I'm not surprised you're having difficulty keeping these birds sharp, they don't half shift!

I'd say for the subject they are more than acceptably sharp. However, tweaking the settings can improve the look of your images. Exactly how is down to personal preference but from memory I used to set my E-500 to Natural, Contrast 0, Sharpness -2. The reason for this is I wanted as natural result as possible. In particular I set a minus value for sharpening because it's easy to add sharpening in processing but not to reduce it.

I've done a quick tweak of your first picture in Elements, although it didn't really need much. I noticed that the histogram was bunched in the middle, showing that the flat light had not used the full dynamic range of the centre. To get a little more punch I moved the right and left sliders inwards until they almost touched the edges of the histogram curve on either side. Next, as the light was so flat, I boosted contrast by around 25%. Finally, I sharpened the picture a little. I don't know if you sharpened when you processed but you normally need to when you resize the image. Just ask if you need further explanation.

This is a great shot.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 26th November 2010

Thanked 1,035 Times in 860 Posts
Liked 804 Times in 469 Posts

Hi Mark. Two great shots.
I had the same thoughts as John but he got there ahead of me.
Here's my version of the second one similarly adjusted in the GIMP.

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 26th November 2010
Administrator

I couldn't resist playing with the second one as well. This time the histogram was bunche to the left indicating a touch of underexposure. This was quickly fixed by dragging the right slider to meet the right of the histogram curve. No adjustment of the left slider was necessary. As before I boosted contrast by 25% and sharpened a little. Oh, and I cropped the picture to remove the distracting, bland sky.

These really are dramatic pictures. You and the E-500 did very well!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 26th November 2010
Administrator

Ah, Peter, I see we both had the same idea! Bit faster than your normal birds, aren't they?

Old 26th November 2010

Liked 147 Times in 103 Posts

Hi Mark.
You do seem to be in a challenging situation regarding getting the sharpest pictures on your system : someon'es stuck you up atop a huge crane on a mountainside while fast jets circle you at terrifying speed ... that would induce some camera shake in me certainly.
(Joking)
With 70-300 on an e-500 you're getting great pictures. I don't see how these could be improved without going up equipment-wise or getting really lucky.
Isn't the sensor on the e-510 a little 'sharper'? Or the new e-5.
Would the expensive 50-200 & E1.4 be able to give you a quicker shutter and possibly sharper pictures?

Not my department but it has to be said these are impressive photos!

Edit: Your EXIF shows ISO500 and F5.6
I'm thinking perhaps a cheap e-510 body would give you an extra (not a replacement) option with different colours, contrast, sharpness and a higher useable ISO limit. (The more modern e-520, e-620 may not be as sharp as your e-500 so I'm not pushing them.)
A bigger lens would give you more light for quicker focusing, wider aperture (when required) ... but that'd cost more than the e-510 body anyway ...
(I only have the 40-150 so I'm going by what I've read.)
Old 26th November 2010

Thanked 1,035 Times in 860 Posts
Liked 804 Times in 469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Ah, Peter, I see we both had the same idea! Bit faster than your normal birds, aren't they?
And a lot noisier too.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 26th November 2010
TYS1977

Thanks folks,
Appreciated,
I'll need to get myself some decent editing software methinks,
They do look a lot better after some tweaking

Thanks again folks
Kindest regards
Mark