Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 836 Times in 549 Posts
Re: Handbrake use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I have just our children this very question. They both said that they were taught to stay in gear at lights (for a quick getaway in today's heavy traffic) with the handbrake applied.
So they do use the handbrake, rather than footbrake.

Quote:
They were taught that the gearbox should only be put into natural if likely to be stationary for 'some time'.
eg at traffic lights!

Jim
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 1,422 Times in 966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
So they do use the handbrake, rather than footbrake.

Well, that is what they are taught to do, but as I said, laziness and bad habits mean that many people simply use the footbrake.

Added to which, if stationary on a hill many people do not trust the handbrake alone, so they will use the footbrake too.

From my observations, many people use the footbrake whilst stationary, (whether in neutral or not), but then apply the handbrake just before setting off to avoid rolling backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

eg at traffic lights!
That depends on the traffic light cycle. Some lights around here wouldn't give you time to apply the handbrake, whilst others would allow plenty of time to put the kettle on for a brew!

(The latter seems to apply to new roundabout layouts designed by Durham County Council; many of which took years to build and are totally illogical.)

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 836 Times in 549 Posts

Feet slip off foot controls, especially when wet!

Many years ago I was in a layby at night, and I wanted to pull into the main road. Because it was raining, visibility was poor, so I wound down my window to get a clearer rear view. The road was quite busy, so I had the car in gear with the clutch depressed, ready to go. It was a strain to see behind, so I was twisted round and had my head partially in the window frame. My foot slipped off the clutch pedal and the car lurched forward, and the window frame smacked me on the side of the head quite hard!

Fortunately the car stalled. If it hadn't and I had been knocked unconscious, the situation could have been quite serious!

Jim