Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work

Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work This board concentrates on topics that explore the potential of your photography being seen by a wider audience and even earning you some money.

Old 8th January 2014

Liked 134 Times in 85 Posts
Next Step (Moved from Looking for improvement)

Hi
Having recently retired, I decided one of the things I might do was go for a LRPS (I have not yet joined). To that end I have selected a number of pics as candidates and put them in a separate gallery on my website (link below). If any one has any useful comments or criticisms or feel that any or all are not good enough please don't hold back.

http://http://www.jim-mccabe.co.uk/p1032503949
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)

Last edited by maccabeej; 8th January 2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: hyperlink was wrong.
Old 8th January 2014

Liked 1,774 Times in 669 Posts
Re: Next Step

Show us the pics then!

I do not need an explanation on how to look at your photos I have not misunderstood something I just do not see your photos here.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 8th January 2014
Administrator

Liked 1,104 Times in 662 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Next Step

Well done Jim, there are some excellent images in the set.

The "Souk in Marrakech" looks as though the top left corner of the roof is drooping, giving a distorted appearance to the picture. I'd use PS Distort to make it "look right".

I've photographed Sam a few times at various Olympus events and really don't think this one presents her at her best. Her shoulders look too wide (square on to the camera), a tighter crop off the bottom will improve this. I personally dislike the hair over one eye look...

"Dresses" has two (one light and one dark blue) dresses that break the pattern. One pattern break would have worked better, but rearranging dresses for a picture is often frowned on by stall holders.

I'd put a bit more contrast into the "Leadenhall Market 6am Saturday" image to give it more of a toned B&W look and give it some depth.

Your certainly well on track with the others, but as with all judged assessments, personal likes and dislikes will influence the opinion and outcome.

Very best of luck.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 8th January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
Show us the pics then!

I do not need an explanation on how to look at your photos I have not misunderstood something I just do not see your photos here.
Hi
I had trouble getting the liink right. It should work now.
Apologies
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
Old 8th January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Well done Jim, there are some excellent images in the set.

The "Souk in Marrakech" looks as though the top left corner of the roof is drooping, giving a distorted appearance to the picture. I'd use PS Distort to make it "look right".

I've photographed Sam a few times at various Olympus events and really don't think this one presents her at her best. Her shoulders look too wide (square on to the camera), a tighter crop off the bottom will improve this. I personally dislike the hair over one eye look...

"Dresses" has two (one light and one dark blue) dresses that break the pattern. One pattern break would have worked better, but rearranging dresses for a picture is often frowned on by stall holders.

I'd put a bit more contrast into the "Leadenhall Market 6am Saturday" image to give it more of a toned B&W look and give it some depth.

Your certainly well on track with the others, but as with all judged assessments, personal likes and dislikes will influence the opinion and outcome.

Very best of luck.
Thanks Graham
I will play around and see if I can improve them.
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
Old 8th January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabeej View Post
Hi
I had trouble getting the liink right. It should work now.
Apologies
You obviously misunderstood I am not trawling round the internet looking for your photos. If you do not wish to show them here I will not be looking.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

The Following User Says Thank You to alfbranch For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (8th January 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Chevvyf1 (8th January 2014)
Old 8th January 2014

Liked 280 Times in 190 Posts

Well done for thinking about giving this a go. A few members of my club achieved their LRPS recently (one last summer) and by all accounts it was a nerve wracking expeience. I gather that you need to read the rules very very carefully and follow them equally closely.
This is something that I have been thinking about for a while too. I will hopefully retire either this year or next year (coming up 60 in June) or at the very least go part time and getting my LRPS is on the list of things to do.
I haven't had a chance to look at your selection, but I will try to some time soon.

E-M1, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 8th January 2014

Quote:
You obviously misunderstood I am not trawling round the internet looking for your photos. If you do not wish to show them here I will not be looking.
I think that posting a link to a specific set of images like this is more appropriate than posting them on this site. There are rather a lot as you may have discovered................

E-M1, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 8th January 2014

Liked 417 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:
Come on Alf, clicking one link is a long way from trawling the internet, give Jim a chance!

Jim, I like the look of your images, but I am on the train using my tablet (large images not loading) so will have a proper look when at home and feedback then.

E-M5 II, 7.5, 9-18, 12-40, 17, 35-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 100-400, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 8th January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
I think that posting a link to a specific set of images like this is more appropriate than posting them on this site. There are rather a lot as you may have discovered................
Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
Come on Alf, clicking one link is a long way from trawling the internet, give Jim a chance!

Jim, I like the look of your images, but I am on the train using my tablet (large images not loading) so will have a proper look when at home and feedback then.
He is not new and I am not looking through his gallery and trying to offer advice.

Here is a quote from another thread too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
One bit of advice for posting in the critique board here is best limit yourself to one shot per thread so the focus can be on that one picture.

Ian

Old 8th January 2014

Quote:
He is not new and I am not looking through his gallery and trying to offer advice.

Shouldn't LRPS submissions be viewed as a panel as well as individually?

Old 8th January 2014

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

I cannot comment on the suitability for LRPS, but they seem a strong group of images to my untrained eye.
Old 8th January 2014

Liked 505 Times in 341 Posts

As Dave says, any RPS distinction submission is viewed and assessed as a complete set. I'm not sure how this works with projected images, but with prints the guidelines will tell you how they will be laid out - I think for LRPS it's two lines of 5. So as well as choosing good photos, it is well worth thinking about how they will sit together. I did it with a set of sports photos so I made sure that I had at least a couple where the action flowed right-to-left to go on the right-hand end. This was harder than you might think, I found when trying to choose for the panel that I almost always shot left-to-right without even thinking about it.

The RPS occasionally run what I think they call "advisory days" where you can take sample photos along - I would definitely suggest going to one as you can sit in on their comments on everybody's photos to get a better idea of what they are looking for. As Graham says it is down to the judges and ultimately subjective but you can stack the odds by making sure that your photos are well presented and the panel is coherent. Then as long as the individual images are reasonable - which the ones of yours I looked at are - I'd say you've got a reasonable chance of an "L".

There is a tricky balance to strike - on the one hand you are supposed to demonstrate variety but on the other hand it helps to show a consistent style. I'm not really sure how to reconcile those!

Good luck ... John

Last edited by Bikie John; 8th January 2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Correcting fat fingers
Old 8th January 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:

That's precisely why Jim posted a link, not the photos. If you don't want to look at them, then don't. There's no need for brusqueness or rudeness.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Gwyver (9th January 2014), Johnheatingman (8th January 2014), Ross the fiddler (9th January 2014), Zuiko (8th January 2014)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
IainMacD (8th January 2014), Janet (13th January 2014), Johnheatingman (8th January 2014), PeterBirder (8th January 2014), Wee man (8th January 2014), Zuiko (8th January 2014)
Old 8th January 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 2,198 Posts
Liked 3,486 Times in 1,637 Posts

Quote:
Then why do you bother to provide a link to your Flickr? If you can't help Jim with what he is proposing to do I suggest you leave this thread.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
alfbranch (8th January 2014), bilbo (9th January 2014), IainMacD (8th January 2014), Johnheatingman (8th January 2014), Ross the fiddler (9th January 2014)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bilbo (9th January 2014), IainMacD (8th January 2014), Johnheatingman (8th January 2014), PeterBirder (8th January 2014), sapper (8th January 2014), sponner (8th January 2014), Wee man (8th January 2014)

Tags
lrps