Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 12th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aluminium Cases, Maplin

Hi all

I was about to splash out on a 2nd peli 1500 case this month for my growing kit but i found a far cheaper alternative that is not too bad.

Maplin are selling their aluminium cases for £19.99 and it has almost identical pick and pluck foam inside. I picked one up today and ive got an E1 with grip, e510, sigma 18-125, ZD40-150 and an fl36 in with space for another accessory, leaving the expenive lenses in the peli.

Granted the aluminium is the typical thin sheet and i doubt a it would survive a drop from height or a trip down a river like the peli, but its fine for keeping kit in whilst traveling or out and about, a good option at a quarter of the price.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...36796&source=1

Steve
Old 12th February 2009

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Aluminium Cases, Maplin

I bought one of these last year in Birmingham,. VERY good value, nice looking and max protection.
Old 12th February 2009

Liked 1,059 Times in 410 Posts

Yes we regularly use these at work for shipping small items abroad. They are thin but OK

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 12th February 2009

Liked 282 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanny View Post
Hi all

I was about to splash out on a 2nd peli 1500 case this month for my growing kit but i found a far cheaper alternative that is not too bad.

Maplin are selling their aluminium cases for £19.99 and it has almost identical pick and pluck foam inside. I picked one up today and ive got an E1 with grip, e510, sigma 18-125, ZD40-150 and an fl36 in with space for another accessory, leaving the expenive lenses in the peli.

Granted the aluminium is the typical thin sheet and i doubt a it would survive a drop from height or a trip down a river like the peli, but its fine for keeping kit in whilst traveling or out and about, a good option at a quarter of the price.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...36796&source=1

Steve
I have often thought about getting one of these. Do you have any pictures of it with your gear in to show how much it can reasonably hold?

E-M1, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 12th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

Here is a pic of both to compare. I got the peli to satisfy the insurance requirement to have my insurred kit in a locked box in my boot whilst it was in the car with me or whilst in my room at uni. The maplin one would suffice im sure.

Theres space for another lens or toy in the maplin one, the peli arrangement is a little haphazard because of the length of the 50-200 and 135-400 but in another arrangement it can swallow just as much as the maplin one. Incidentallly the replacement foam in the peli costs more than the maplin one
Old 12th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had the alu one's for the past 30 odd years and have still 2 or 3 of them. They offer good protection.

One is for the biggish Rollei SL 66, the other will be used for my Oly stuff when I am back in Holland.
New foam was never a problem: a store in The Hague had the grey foam and cut it to size for a low price. The only thing you had to do is to draw the outlines and use a hobbyknife.

For Brazil I have a backpack from LowePro: I am riding a motorbike again.....

Peter
Old 12th February 2009

Liked 282 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanny View Post
Hi

Here is a pic of both to compare. I got the peli to satisfy the insurance requirement to have my insurred kit in a locked box in my boot whilst it was in the car with me or whilst in my room at uni. The maplin one would suffice im sure.

Theres space for another lens or toy in the maplin one, the peli arrangement is a little haphazard because of the length of the 50-200 and 135-400 but in another arrangement it can swallow just as much as the maplin one. Incidentallly the replacement foam in the peli costs more than the maplin one
Thank you for that - looks good, but what'll the wife say? Not another camera bag/case????
It would be my sixth!

E-M1, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 12th February 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to MarkVarley Send a message via Yahoo to MarkVarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Thank you for that - looks good, but what'll the wife say? Not another camera bag/case????
It would be my sixth!
cheaper than beer, gambling and loose women! (marginally)
If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying"