Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 1st April 2008
theenigma

Question FS2 Focus Screen, is it any good?

Hi there folks,

Hope things are going well, I have been having a hectic time sorting out Bike lessons! Hopefully though it will all turn out OK and I'll have another mode of transport to get me to some great shots with my Oly kit!

I was hoping to get your opinion on the FS2 grid screen for the E1.

I have had my E1 for just over 2 years now and have enjoyed using it. I remember spotting the FS2 replacement grid screen soon after I bought my E1 but I didn’t really think any more on it.

Since then it has simmered somewhere in the back of my mind and has arrived fresh and baked to perfection this morning (strange thing to wake up thinking of camera equipment!) ready for further action to be taken to rectify it not being a part of my kit.

What I want to know is whether it actually improves the E1 experience... I upgraded my eyecup to the larger size (EP2 I believe it's called) and have a great time with it (when it doesn’t go walkabout!), I consider this to be a great investment as it really helps me to focus on the image through the VF rather than “outside information” and has improved my "E1 Experience". Does this happen with the FS2? Has it become an invaluable piece of kit on your E1 setup?

How difficult is it to install? Should I send it to Oly and ask them to put it in for me or is it something I can do at home?

Finally, have you noticed a difference in images taken with the FS2? Are you able to accurately line up shots with the grid lines or are the faint / mainly for the "rule of 3rds"?

I hope you can help me with this as I can imagine it selling out at some point and all that “baking” will have been for nothing!

Cheers,

Harv
Old 1st April 2008
Hiding_Pup

Re: FS2 Focus Screen, is it any good?

Never liked the FS2 myself, preferring instead the uncluttered window of the FS1 (one of the official reasons Olympus stuck to 3 AF points for so long was that they didn't like all the information in the viewfinder!). It's useful for getting verticals and horizons straight, if this is a particular problem you have, but I've never been one for slavish devotion to the Rule of Thirds so it was useless to me in this respect.
Old 1st April 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Not got one – am considering it – stalked one on ebay recently, but it ended up going for more than the shop price!

My Ricoh GRD-II can electronically put a grid over the LCD screen and I've already found it useful – possibly more useful for making sure you don't get converging verticals in architectural photographs than composition in general work.

The point about making the viewfinder more cluttered is a good one.

I changed focusing screens on my OM-1 and found it very easy, so I imagine it's the same on the E-1.
Old 1st April 2008
Stock Shooter

Liked 54 Times in 32 Posts

I can thoroughly recommend the FS2 screen. I find it particularly useful for getting the right alignment for buildings and horizons. Especially useful when you have not got many pixels.

There might be some cheap offers for it out there.

I had a grid Beattie screen in my OM2 and have always tried to get one in every camera since.

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
Old 1st April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD View Post
I changed focusing screens on my OM-1 and found it very easy, so I imagine it's the same on the E-1.
The E1 focusing screen is tiny by comparison with the OMs. I swapped mine for a "Virtual Village" Katz Eye clone and it was fairly scarey. However, I believe the FS2 has a small tab to aid handling, which helps somewhat. The surface of the screen is very delicate and easily scratched, so it's a job for a steady hand and cotton gloves!

Incidentally, Katz Eye do various patterns of grid lines as an optional extra.
Old 1st April 2008
Scapula Memory

I have the FS2 in my E1 and I find it does help with verticals and certain types of other shots. Also I do not think it makes the VF look cluttered at all and can honestly say I would not go back to the FS1. Installing it it fairly easy though you need a steady hand. It comes in a sealed box and with a special tool to do the job. There is a tab on the edge to grab it with. You can see some info here

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e1-find-acc.html

As the article says it is all a matter of personal taste.

It took me about a minute to do. To sum up I found the combination of EP2 and FS2 plus grip and GS2 to be the best camera I ever handled.

Just need to learn now how to take a decent picture.....

Last edited by Scapula Memory; 1st April 2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 1st April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also have the FS2 in my E1 and I would recommend it. I have noticed the amount of time I spend rotating images taken on my E3. I would send it away to get the screen replaced with the grid but I can't live without the camera. It is one of the few gripes I have about the E3 that the screen isn't user changeable.

Ian C.
Old 1st April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear Harv,

I just I would add my thoughts on the FS-2. I really consider it an essential item now that I have used it for a couple of years. I simply could not imagine going back to the FS-1. I find it so useful for keeping horizons, trees, poles buildings etc straight. I also find it very helpful when I compose a shot too as you suggested. I do not find the grid lines a distraction at all.

As far as installation is concerned, it is not too difficult, realatively straight forward if you take time over it rather than rush it. Everything you need is included in the box with the screen.

Like you I also have become a fan of the EP-2, another nice improvement over the standard eye piece.

Cheers

Chris