Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 7th November 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OM3Ti

A bit of a long shot. On the long term look out for an OM3Ti in the EU/UK.
Doesn't matter at all if its scruffy so long as its mechanically serviceable.
I know its a rare thing and all I see are the same old cameras going round and round on eBay Japan and USA at inflated prices.
Anyone got one gathering dust?
Tx+
Brendan
Old 7th November 2017

Liked 51 Times in 34 Posts
Re: OM3Ti

Wow. Yes, weird prices. Was it so much better than OM2 or OM4? Or just rarer?

Sorry - I don't have one; just intrigued.
Old 7th November 2017

Liked 504 Times in 340 Posts

They are pretty rare. There were a lot of OM4Ti's (and I think our DavidM probably broke a good proportion of them ) but the 3Ti was a much less common beast. It may well have been more expensive new than the 4Ti, if memory serves it had an all-mechanical shutter so it would work without a battery - the 4Ti had an electronically controlled one with just a couple of manual speeds (1/60 and B I think).

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (7th November 2017)
Old 7th November 2017

Liked 253 Times in 173 Posts

It was basically a mechanical-shutter OM-4Ti. I don't think many were made and they've become quite sought after. Good luck with your quest Brendan, they do come up from time to time. Ffordes have an OM-3 in at the moment for 399.
RobEW (7th November 2017)
Old 7th November 2017

Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts

The OM3Ti is a rare beast indeed, not as rare as some Leica's I have previously owned but rare none the less. It was produced circa 1996 and I believe somewhere around 2000 were made. The finish is far more durable than that of both the black and silver OM4Ti and yes its shutter is totally mechanical, battery power is only required to operate the meter. It was Olympus' 'swan song' to the OM system and is a much sought after model.

Regarding availability, they do pop up from time to time on the websites of UK dealers, by 'time to time' I mean perhaps one will appear once every 10 -12 months on average so compared to many other cameras ... not very often at all. I sold my mint example to a member of this forum a couple of years ago, knew it would be a decision I would regret and sure enough it was. Ffordes had a mint one very recently ( about three weeks ago ) and I was sorely tempted, decided to 'sleep on it' and ring them in the morning if it was still 'calling to me' . It was, so I checked their site the next morning only to see it had gone, for reference its price was 1299.00 and it didn't hang around for long !

It's a very desirable camera and as such commands a premium price. Is it worth it? ... to many "no' but like most things in life 'quality' doesn't come cheap and if you want what is arguably one of the finest manual SLR made by any manufacturer then IMO it's a price worth paying and one ( unless you are very lucky ) you will have to, to secure its purchase when an opportunity arises.

Kind regards,

Simon
Pierre L (1 Week Ago)
Old 8th November 2017

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

I owned one and it was such a lovely rare thing I didn't put as much as one roll of film through it.

Sold it a while later.

Sounds like you want to use it which would be good though for practical purposes the readily available OM-4ti does the same. The 3's mechanical shutter could be appealing maybe.

Good thing is: if you're lucky enough to find a "beater" you can still buy new top and bottom plates to restore the looks though I guess the bottom plate won't have the correct serial number. If that matters.

There was a mint one on UK Ebay recently for about 2k though it didn't sell.

I think if you really want one there isn't much choice but to stump up the asking price or "persuade" a seller that they're not going to get those huge prices as many seem to go unsold on Ebay.

You've made me want one again.....(don't know why, it'll never get used).

Mal.
Old 9th November 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the comments guys. I have a bit of a collection as OM prices have fallen by about 50% over the past 5 years.
Body wise I have a couple of OM2ns (black, chrome), a black OM1, two OM4Ti (in case my 'user' dies...) and an OM3 (picked up for 250 from a UK dealer).
I've about OM 10 lenses , including some rare ones (40mm f2, 21mm f2, 100mm f2). They all get used. I use a Sony A7R+ Novoflex OM adaptor as a digital body when I'm not using film.

Why a 3Ti? I love the feel of the all mechanical shutter and the finish is beautiful compared to the OM3. I'll use it, but carefully. I've used OM stuff since the early 80s, I always come back to it, its combination of quality, size and usability just feels like a well fitting glove.
Old 10th November 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaneyb View Post
Why a 3Ti? I love the feel of the all mechanical shutter and the finish is beautiful compared to the OM3. I'll use it, but carefully. I've used OM stuff since the early 80s, I always come back to it, its combination of quality, size and usability just feels like a well fitting glove.
My thoughts too, I'll keep an eye out for you but only once Ive replaced the one I foolishly sold

Simon
Pierre L (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Out of interest what is the general opinion on the value for one now? Mint or near mint. I used to think they were about 1000 but it looks like more by the time import duty is paid now?
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

I have one and I'm not letting go! Although, I told my son that, when I pass away, he should offer it to Simon.
Does anyone know how many were made, as compared with the contemporary OM 4Ti Black?
Edited to add: Sorry, I just re-read the thread and I see Simon says around 2000 were made.

Last edited by Pierre L; 1 Week Ago at 05:13 PM. Reason: Additional info
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre L For This Useful Post:
Simon Bee (1 Week Ago)
Simon Bee (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

I have to say there are an awful lot for sale at the moment and in general the price hasn't really gone up. Gorgeous camera though.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre L View Post
I have one and I'm not letting go! Although, I told my son that, when I pass away, he should offer it to Simon.
That is very kind of you Pierre and I would love to be reacquainted with it

However as much as I would love to buy it back I don't want you passing over to 'the other side' anytime soon

Good to know you still have it, not as foolish as I then

Simon
Pierre L (1 Week Ago)
Pierre L (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm500 View Post
Out of interest what is the general opinion on the value for one now? Mint or near mint. I used to think they were about 1000 but it looks like more by the time import duty is paid now?
Well the 'true' value of anything is really 'what someone is prepared to pay'. The one that I mentioned earlier that was available at Ffordes recently was only available on their site for no more than a week or two at most before it had gone. Given the short space of time on their site and assuming it sold as apposed to a recalled commission sale then I think it is safe to say it sold for the asking price of 1299.00

Had it not sold that evening I for one was prepared to pay the asking price the next day. I don't normally dither on items of such rarity and payed the price for doing so on this occasion. If you really want one any time soon or in the near future then I do believe that unless very fortunate you are looking at parting with around 1100 - 1300 within the UK and a similar figure if from Japan + import duties and VAT .

As it happens I'm going to Tokyo/Kyoto next autumn so may just yet succumb to temptation as they do appear to be more readily available in Japan.

Simon
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 774 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
As it happens I'm going to Tokyo/Kyoto next autumn so may just yet succumb to temptation as they do appear to be more readily available in Japan.

Simon
As you might expect, there are some good resources on the web about classic camera shops in Tokyo. Out of interest I dropped in to a couple that happened to be near where we were going anyway, and there's some amazing stuff stacked up in them (at a price). I resisted!

Here's one nice post from a couple of years ago: https://marcuslowphotos.blog/2015/08...yo-2015advice/

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,050 Times in 641 Posts

Reading about all those real camera shops selling real cameras - it's difficult to resist a holiday with a big suitcase.

on flickr