Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 29th January 2018

Liked 102 Times in 75 Posts
Re: New 35mm 'film' SLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
It was considered in the very very early digital days. I think even a camera manufacturer actually made a gadget to fit into the film bay.

I remember talking about it to our local (20 miles) camera shop in those very early days.

And now.................
The digital conversion fitting in the film bay was a hoax. See the link to Re35 above. A shame as I for one would like a simple system allowing digital capture (at 6MP or more) that could be used with a wide range of classic cameras, rangefinder or SLR. It couldn't compete with shooting a camera designed for digital, instead being something of a half way house between film & digital.

There where some digital backs that replaced the cameras standard back - unfortunately these linked to a block under the camera which was about the same size as the camera itself (not good handling). They where also expensive (~$30k) & very low resolution etc. by today's standards. They filled an important niche when digital was first becoming a serious player. Enabling journalists to get images sent of quickly to their papers.
Old 29th January 2018

Liked 1,440 Times in 875 Posts

I'm glad to hear it was a hoax; putting digital crap inside a real camera would be totally against the rule of God. Amen.

on flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (29th January 2018), Naughty Nigel (13th February 2018)
Old 8th February 2018

Liked 1,556 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Why re-design a film camera when they almost got to perfection 20 years ago??
That is my concern for this project. Presumably there must be no end of perfectly good 35 mm SLR cameras and lenses out there collecting dust and looking for good homes, so why reinvent the wheel?

Personally I find it difficult to get too exited about 35 mm film cameras these days. They are perfectly adequate for shooting slower B&W films, but the quality available in colour has been so far surpassed by DSLR's, and even by many phone cameras that it seems a little pointless to me. Yes, I still enjoy using an OM4Ti with a fast prime lens, but the end result is a little limiting.

Medium format, on the other hand, is an entirely different story, offering fantastic image quality for still very reasonable prices. A 645 provides three times the negative size compared with 35 mm, whilst 6 x 7 is seven times!

Many medium format cameras can also be fitted with digital backs (at great cost), although I fail to see the attraction. I use medium format because I enjoy using film, but also because I love using a large waist level finder.

Perhaps there would be more mileage in resurrecting something like the Mamiya 645J (I think it was called), which was a budget priced 645 with a plastic body?

With regard to the popularity of film, I bought my Mamiya 645 Pro TL outfit shortly after buying my E1 in 2004. The whole outfit in mint condition including standard 80 mm lens, winder and metered finder cost under £500, and I was able to buy brand new lenses from Ffordes for remarkably little. In short, people were almost giving them away. If you look now the prices have shot up, and are probably more than double what they were fifteen years ago; such is the renewed interest in film.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 8th February 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,958 Times in 2,297 Posts
Liked 3,859 Times in 1,815 Posts

I think the concept of this new camera has several unique features that make it a worthwhile project. The ability to swap film backs mid roll and to fit a variety of different lens mounts is certainly an attractive proposition, let's hope they have enough investment to see it through.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th February 2018

Liked 1,556 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I think the concept of this new camera has several unique features that make it a worthwhile project. The ability to swap film backs mid roll and to fit a variety of different lens mounts is certainly an attractive proposition, let's hope they have enough investment to see it through.
I do like the concept, especially the interchangeable film backs, although of course we just used to carry a spare body if we could afford it.

The concept of being able to use lenses from several manufacturers is a lot more interesting to me, and is similar to the Tamron Tx mount, which I still use on a couple of lenses.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (9th February 2018)
Old 9th February 2018

Another Kickstarter, the Chroma 5x4 Technical Field Camera

https://www.35mmc.com/09/02/2018/chr...s-kickstarter/

on flickr
Old 10th February 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,958 Times in 2,297 Posts
Liked 3,859 Times in 1,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Another Kickstarter, the Chroma 5x4 Technical Field Camera

https://www.35mmc.com/09/02/2018/chr...s-kickstarter/
I was just starting to wonder what was different about this particular field camera, then I saw the price......

I'm a little sceptical that they can delver at this price in much the same way I have doubts about the Reflex, but good on them if they can see it through. Bear in mind that you will have to buy a lens/shutter as well, though (unless you are going to use it as a pinhole camera only).

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 10th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I was just starting to wonder what was different about this particular field camera, then I saw the price......

I'm a little sceptical that they can delver at this price in much the same way I have doubts about the Reflex, but good on them if they can see it through. Bear in mind that you will have to buy a lens/shutter as well, though (unless you are going to use it as a pinhole camera only).
I have my doubts about Reflex, but this should be easier to manufacture.

on flickr