Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 2nd February 2018

Liked 448 Times in 294 Posts
Re: Are Olympus Accessories overpriced

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Do you think that is true of cameras themselves??????????????
Back in the late 70s when film SLRs were the big thing, it was said that the average camera shop made more money out of the roll of film you inevitably bought with your new camera than the camera itself.

Maybe it's still the accessories that generate the profits - certainly in the case of a remote release which Olympus wants about 60 for, when equivalents are easily available for less than a tenner!
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (5th February 2018)
Old 5th February 2018

Liked 444 Times in 233 Posts

Other than Batteries, which the originals seems to out last the OEMs, Eye cups, that don't seems to have others that can fit, all others removable parts are not original on my gear.

All my garbage so far.
Old 7th February 2018

Liked 96 Times in 62 Posts

The most outrageous example I've seen is the AC-5 PSU for the EM-1 MkII. Olympus charge 150 for an item that is essentially a 15-20 item. I ended up making my own.
Old 7th February 2018

Liked 80 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
The most outrageous example I've seen is the AC-5 PSU for the EM-1 MkII. Olympus charge 150 for an item that is essentially a 15-20 item. I ended up making my own.
Looking at a photo of the AC-5 it looks like it has a standard DC Power Plug at the camera end. There are plenty of generic power supplies available at the lower price you mention that will be perfectly OK powering the camera. 150 is extortionate.

Steve
Old 7th February 2018

Liked 911 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
To charge eg. 100 for a T shirt because it has a different label sewn into it by the same people who sewed, for instance a normal high street stores label into the next one is not mark-up, it's downright greed. I do understand about recovering development costs but surely those costs are well recovered by the sale of the full item rather than the spares in cases like cars or cameras. Surely there should not be too much demand for spares if a product is made properly so the manufacturers should not be reliant on spares sales.
Many many years ago my first employment after leaving school was at a foot-ware manufacturing company. Even that long ago, Keith's above comments applied. We used to do large production runs of an identical pair of shoes or slippers then the women used to sow brand labels of several different big name high street retailers into them. The same items with basic unknown labels sown in went to the catalogue and market outlets.

At sale times, Christmas etc. we bought in cheap materials and produced inferior products which still had the big name stores labels attached.

Regarding overpricing, I think anything involving hobby or leisure activity has a totally needlessly high mark up applied. The only exception I can think of is fishing where at least you have the option of buying perfectly adequate gear at a reasonably low price.

Another area where overpricing is rife is any equipment determined to be "medical". High end hearing aids retail around 2000 or more each and whilst I appreciate manufacturers have to recoup R&D costs surely this is a ridiculous price for what is basically a micro sized amplifier. Similarly, walking aids, crutches etc. also cost the earth, issued free by the NHS and are then scrapped if returned after use.

John
Old 7th February 2018

Liked 96 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
Looking at a photo of the AC-5 it looks like it has a standard DC Power Plug at the camera end. There are plenty of generic power supplies available at the lower price you mention that will be perfectly OK powering the camera. 150 is extortionate.

Steve
That's exactly what I did. One really good thing about the MkII is that they've used standard connectors for most things.
Wreckdiver (7th February 2018)