Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-5

Olympus E-5 E-5 specific discussion.

Old 19th June 2011

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
E5 settings Aperture & Shutter speed

Hi,

Can anyone advise if you can set the aperture and shutter speed and allow the ISO to adjust itself to give the correct exposure? Does P Mode have this facility?

Cheers

Paul
Old 19th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,220 Posts
Liked 1,627 Times in 723 Posts
Re: E5 settings Aperture & Shutter speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPJ View Post
Hi,

Can anyone advise if you can set the aperture and shutter speed and allow the ISO to adjust itself to give the correct exposure? Does P Mode have this facility?

Cheers

Paul
Yes, there is an Auto ISO mode. Never used it myself, but I don't think you can freeze the aperture and shutter speed at the same time as letting the ISO set itself. You can bracket ISO in manual mode if that's any help.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 19th June 2011

Liked 158 Times in 107 Posts

Paul, been having a quick play on your behalf.
I came up with all sorts of attempts at work rounds, all unsuccessfully as the only mode where you can set both A & S in Manual.
In this case Auto ISO is greyed out.

When you do RFM, (since it's a Sunday Read The Flipping Manual ) it is possible to set Auto ISO for All modes except Bulb.

Cog E ISO-AUTO > ALL rather than the default of P/A/S
Auto ISO is no longer Greyed out in M mode
Seems to work fine, but there is no direct exposure compensation; Auto Exposure Bracketing does still work though.

Still got the 90-250mm, thank you for a smooth transaction, but I've just ended up getting a second hand E-5 to get it to focus correctly with an EC-20. Itching to get out for a go with the combination.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 19th June 2011

Liked 319 Times in 155 Posts

Paul

I use Aperature mode with ISO set to Auto. I have noticed that the shutter speed is kept quite fast in this mode circa 1/250 sec from memory. The E3 decides itself when to up the ISO. You can set the high limit on ISO-AUTO SET manual p96.

When using Program Mode you can shift aperature and shuitter speed using the front and back wheels and I think that the E3 adjusts ISO accordingly.

This has been done from memory as my E3 is away at the repairers (not Oly) so could not test it out for myself.

John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 19th June 2011
Kiwi Paul

Manual mode with auto ISO.

Paul
Old 19th June 2011

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Cheers Guy's for the replies.

Bill, good to hear from you. Pleased you still have the lens and enjoying it. let me know how the E5 goes with the combo. I should read the manual sometime as you suggest Your advice is spot on thank you.

Regards

Paul