Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P2

Olympus Pen E-P2 The second Micro Four Thirds system camera from Olympus, this time with a clip-on high resolution viewfinder.

Old 1st July 2013

Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Memory card crash with EP 2

I saw an EP 2 body for sale in LCE for £110, thought it was a good price and a good back up for my OM D and bought it.

So yesterday I thought I would give it a good try out and took it to Robbie Williams at Wembley. All was well, I took lots of photos both day and night and also a video, trying out different settings, spot metering etc. Then on the train home I thought I would have a look back through the photos but the camera displayed 'memory card error'. Took it out, put it back in, tried it on the MAC and also in my OM D but no joy. It had worked fine during the day as I had checked and deleted some images.

So a couple of questions if anyone can help me out....

Firstly, I know the camera is about 4 years old but is there a limit to the type of cards you can use in it? I used a Dane ELec Pro200x 8GB SD HC class 10 card which I use happily in my OM D. I formatted it first. It definitely recorded images with no error indicated at any time until 1/2 hour or so later on the train.

Secondly, has anyone used any of the free photo recovery software available on the Internet and that you would recommend....if indeed I can recover the data.

At the end of the day, it is not the end of the world to have lost these photos albeit annoying, but I am going away in a few months so I would be really upset if it happened whilst on holiday. I have no idea whether this is a card fault and I was unlucky or whether it is a problem with the camera (which is under guarantee). I intend to take a lot more test photos but has anyone had it happen to them with this card/camera combination? Your thoughts on the SD card and recovery software would be appreciated - thanks!

Anne
Old 1st July 2013

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts
Re: Memory card crash with EP 2

How old is the card? Potentially SD cards to have a limited life span of R/W cycles.

Also any power state change whilst writing to a card does have the potential to kill it
Anne (1st July 2013)
Old 1st July 2013
Administrator

Liked 1,253 Times in 739 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Memory card crash with EP 2

This shows that you can use type "10" cards in the camera.

The only thing I can think of is a temperature induced fault (is was a warm day )

I use Sandisk Rescue Pro to recover all sorts of card faults: Here

I guess you have tried all the obvious "cleaning of the card contacts". I use kitchen foil as the oxide on it is a very fine abrasive and cleans contacts very well. Just make sure you are gentle and check to see that there are no damaged connectors.

Good luck

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Anne (1st July 2013)
Old 1st July 2013

The card is less than a year old and there weren't any changes to the power as far as I know. I had been using it fine, I switched the camera off normally when I got to the point that I thought the pictures I was taking were too noisy. The next time I went to look, the error came up.

Yes it was a warm day but the camera was in a neoprene case, inside my cloth rucksack and we were sitting in the shade for the whole time. I was using it but only for 10 minutes or so and then I would put it away for another 10 minutes etc so it would fall within normal usage as far as I am concerned. However the camera being secondhand and first time of use is an unknown quantity. My SD cards are also kept in little plastic containers so aren't really abused and metal contacts look clean and undamaged. I will see if I can reformat the card afterwards and whether it will still record data.

Graham thanks for your help as well. I have downloaded the software onto my decrepit PC as the MAC wouldn't run it. After a bit of faffing around when the PC wouldn't recognize the card, it is currently a third of a way through the scan via the camera. I will keep you updated as to whether it will recover the photos successfully! And if I can work out how to post photos (having tried to resize an image earlier down to 19kb and it pixelate to the point that it was almost unrecognisable, I seem to be doing someone wrong seeing how good other members' photos look!!
Old 1st July 2013
Administrator

Liked 1,253 Times in 739 Posts

I've bought things from LCE, they are very good about things and should see right by you.

Also they know how people discuss things like this on line so like to keep a good reputation

Best of luck.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Anne (1st July 2013)
Old 1st July 2013

Thanked 1,025 Times in 632 Posts
Liked 1,192 Times in 551 Posts

Back to LCE would seem the best route. However, have you tried another card? If the problem persists then it would point to the camera being at fault. I tend to get zapped quite often with static so I make sure I never touch the contacts etc., just wondering if you have a similar problem?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Anne (1st July 2013)
Old 1st July 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like Graham I have used Sandisk Rescue Pro that came free with one of my cards. I've only used it once. After a day spent at The Barbican I tried to view my images only to find I could only see the last 20 or so images that I'd taken. Somehow the earlier images must have been deleted. As you can imagine I was not amused! First tried in other cameras – nothing, then I remembered the little disk that came with the card. Loaded it into the computer followed the instructions and bingo it found everything – very happy. So very happy to share story and encourage you to try the software.
Chris.
The Following User Says Thank You to chr1st0 For This Useful Post:
Anne (1st July 2013)
Old 1st July 2013

Thanked 1,035 Times in 860 Posts
Liked 804 Times in 469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
... And if I can work out how to post photos (having tried to resize an image earlier down to 19kb and it pixelate to the point that it was almost unrecognisable, I seem to be doing someone wrong seeing how good other members' photos look!!
No one seems to have picked up this call for help so I'll try and help as we'd love to see some of your shots.

19Kb is much too small a file to do anything and the forum gallery will accept up to 512Kb files. 300- 400Kb is a good range to aim for. However you first need to resize the number of pixels which you can do in Photoshop or whichever pp software you use. A good size for displaying your photos in a post is 800 X 600 pixels. If resizeing does not give you a 300-400Kb file adjusting the JPEG Quality setting when you save the re-sized image will change the file size.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Anne (1st July 2013)
Old 1st July 2013

Smile Re: Memory card crash with EP 2

RESULT!!

OK, I have no idea why this has happened but......

I ran Graham's link, got to the end, it 'found' 35 files including jpg's and no audio/visual. It wouldn't let me preview the images but wanted $60 to recover them. I only shoot RAW so I declined. I ran the free version but it found nothing. i then ran another free piece of software that I found recommended on PC Advisor but it also found nothing (I think) but left me with a message that it tried and was refused access to something on my PC. All the software has been deleted and a scan is being run

So I disconnected the camera and went to format the card....and my photos were visible!!

So I imported them into Lightroom asap; at least 35 Lightroom couldn't open and another 30 or so showed as corrupted but I probably have about 60 pictures and the video!

They aren't great as we weren't that close to the stage and I had the 45mm Oly lens as it was fast but looked small enough to convince the guy during my bag search that it was a point and shoot camera

Anyway if I can upload (thanks Peter), here are two of the pictures...
Old 1st July 2013

Hmm....that didn't work. i will try again (but it tells me 19kb for a jpg??)
Old 1st July 2013

OK....I am obviously doing something wrong. I have gone to 'manage attachments' chosen an image....and it doesn't upload?
Old 1st July 2013

Smile Re: Memory card crash with EP 2

I think I have this sorted now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robbie Williams-6300315-4.jpg (29.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Robbie Williams-6300255-3.jpg (30.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 1st July 2013

Sorted-ish!!

I don't know why they are just thumbnails?
Old 1st July 2013

Thanked 1,035 Times in 860 Posts
Liked 804 Times in 469 Posts

I think it's because you are trying to use "attachments".

The best way to include pictures in a post is to upload a resized image to your gallery and then link this to your post. There are links on the forum homepage (RH side) to a couple of video tutorials on uploading to the gallery and including pictures in posts.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Anne (1st July 2013)
Old 1st July 2013

Liked 916 Times in 597 Posts

ZAR (zero assumption recovery) is very good and free for image recovery:

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Anne (1st July 2013)