Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 28th August 2014

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
TTL Lock???

Is there something like TTL lock to lock flash exposure after taking the first picture? At the moment i am shooting an EM5 with FL36R and it takes a long delay for every shot as it seems to adjust the flash exposure.

Thanks
Old 28th August 2014
Administrator

Liked 1,400 Times in 816 Posts
Re: TTL Lock???

The way to do this is by using the gun fully manual, or in slave mode using the small flash on the camera set at its lowest power to trigger the FL-36R or in RC mode, but again in manual mode, adjusted from the camera.

Every TTL flash exposure is individual.

Hope this helps

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
niranhopper (28th August 2014)
Old 28th August 2014

Thanked 1,200 Times in 950 Posts
Liked 1,631 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranhopper View Post
Is there something like TTL lock to lock flash exposure after taking the first picture? At the moment i am shooting an EM5 with FL36R and it takes a long delay for every shot as it seems to adjust the flash exposure.

Thanks
The long delay might well be just the recharging or cycle time (of the capacitor) between shots, especially if maximum power level was used for that TTL shot & it might depend on the batteries you are using too. I use Eneloop long life rechargeable batteries (Version 3) for best performance & a nice long shelf life (after charging).

As Graham said, use a lower fixed power for continual, known use because the lower the power used for each flash the less amount of charge is used & the quicker the recharge (cycle) time between flashes (exposures). Flash units with 4 batteries usually have a quicker cycle time too.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
niranhopper (28th August 2014)
Old 28th August 2014

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Thanks Graham and Ross for the reply. Sorry I a bit new to using flash and trying to understand as much as i can.

I normally wait for the flash light to stop blinking before pressing the shutter release. After i press the shutter button, the flash sends out few strobes of light (i am guessing it is trying to adjust the exposure) and only then snaps the picture. There is a delay of .5 to 1 second and this is sufficient to miss the moment.

One approach as i understand is to go manual and do my own exposure settings. But due to my limited knowledge, I would prefer something like AEL/AFL lock for TTL . Or after taking the first picture, can i somehow know the flash settings so that i can quickly configure it in manual?

Thanks
Old 28th August 2014

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

This is a similar problem to the E-M1 and seems worse with C-AF. Best way I found to test this was to set to Manual Focus and Manual exposure so you can eliminate those variables from the testing.

Only solution I have found is to use Auto mode on flash not TTL-Auto. Using Auto will give you about a 0.1 second delay when pressing shutter.

Gary
Old 28th August 2014
Administrator

Liked 1,400 Times in 816 Posts
Lightbulb Re: TTL Lock???

The fastest way to do this is to use a very old technique of GN setting.

With the gun set to a power that gives you a fast enough recycle time you can then use that known power output (GN) to work out the f/stop needed at any distance.

In the "Good old Days" we had GN lenses that did this for us. You simply set the flash power on the lens and as you focused, it would change the f/stop to give the right exposure.

Why oh why cant they provide that with all the clever electronics that knows exactly what the camera is focused at.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 29th August 2014

Thanked 1,340 Times in 1,278 Posts
Liked 1,119 Times in 765 Posts

In the good old days you had "Off The Film" flash exposure so it metered for the flash as the picture was exposed. Or you just used the table on the back of the flash gun to match distance to subject and selected lens aperture to set the flash ouput (GN).