Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-520

Olympus E-520 E-520 specific discussion.

Old 25th September 2012
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loose Element

I have encountered something today I never have before, and I think it is a loose lens element.

Problem: The image through the viewfinder will slightly shift

Body: Olympus E-520
Lens: 14-42mm f3.5-5.6

1) during AF (The lens' hunting sounds and actions match perfectly with the movement.)
2) only when focused on subjects within approx. 2ft.
3) on initial attempt to focus on subject or on the immediate second follow-up attempt to finalize focus
4) happens randomly

1) laterally/horizontally (maybe with an occasional slight raise up and to the left)
2) shift movement distance = 1/2 to 3/4 the diameter of a focus confirmation dot
3) sometimes only in one direction
4) sometimes in one direction then back again, or then again a third time in the first direction (back & forth)

Have I got a lens going bad?
Cameras currently used: Pentax K-5 Mk.I, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Sony A77 Mk.I, Minolta Maxxum 600si, Nikon P7100

14-42mm, e-520