Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-520

Olympus E-520 E-520 specific discussion.

Old 20th November 2008
dennisg

Question E520 Image Stabilization and its use.

I have tried to use the Image Stabilization feature on the E520. The settings ask you what lens you are using, thus if I am using the 40-150 zoom the varaibility of the focal length varies when used. So when using a zoom lens, such as the 40-150MM, what setting do you use when setting up the Image Stabilzation function in the E520?

Thanks for the help!!

Dennis G
Old 20th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,178 Posts
Liked 1,448 Times in 668 Posts
Re: E520 Image Stabilization and its use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisg View Post
I have tried to use the Image Stabilization feature on the E520. The settings ask you what lens you are using, thus if I am using the 40-150 zoom the varaibility of the focal length varies when used. So when using a zoom lens, such as the 40-150MM, what setting do you use when setting up the Image Stabilzation function in the E520?

Thanks for the help!!

Dennis G
Hi Dennis, with Four Thirds lenses, like the 40-150, it's automatic. The lens communicates its focal length to the camera electronically. The manual setting option is for legacy lenses that have no data links to the camera body.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 20th November 2008
250swb

Quote:
The settings ask you what lens you are using
As Ian says, that is just if you want to use an old Olympus film lens on the camera. 'E' lenses are automatically recognised.

Otherwise your choice is Off, IS 1, IS 2, or IS 3. Have it switched Off if the camera is stable or on a tripod, IS 1 for normal use, IS 2 for horizontal panning, or IS 3 for vertical panning.

Steve
Old 20th November 2008
Xpres

I think the question arises because you can still see the focal length adjustment, and can change it, even when an 'e' lens is attached. At least it does on mine. It should perhaps disappear or say auto when a zoom is attached.
Old 20th November 2008

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

it should be greyed out with an E lens on board until you press the +- button to bring it alive.

It's very useful this way as you can preset it for an upcoming quick change to a manual lens.
Old 21st November 2012

Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts

On my 520 it is greyed out ,but always reads 40mm no matter if i put the 14-45mm or the 40-150mm lens on....is this correct or is the camera not adjusting automatically ?
Old 21st November 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Phil, go in and change it to a different number and then see if it stays at that new number. I believe the setting shown won't change as you zoom, merely remains wherever was last set. The E-lens automatic recognition is invisible, I'm petty sure. I used to change mine religiously, with E-lenses, until I realized the whole thing was automatic.
Phil Angel (21st November 2012)
Old 21st November 2012

Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
Phil, go in and change it to a different number and then see if it stays at that new number. I believe the setting shown won't change as you zoom, merely remains wherever was last set. The E-lens automatic recognition is invisible, I'm petty sure. I used to change mine religiously, with E-lenses, until I realized the whole thing was automatic.

Thanks Stuart.....you are right.The number stays at whatever i set manually.
Old 23rd February 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
Otherwise your choice is Off, IS 1, IS 2, or IS 3. Have it switched Off if the camera is stable or on a tripod, IS 1 for normal use, IS 2 for horizontal panning, or IS 3 for vertical panning.

Steve
Turning the IS off when the camera is on a tripod is not a given. If you have the tripod setting on a surface that is subject to vibration, or if you are using a tripod outdoors when there is some kind of breeze, then you definately want to leave the IS on.