Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-520

Olympus E-520 E-520 specific discussion.

Old 21st December 2011
Grumpy Member

Liked 462 Times in 220 Posts
Re: Split Screen Viewfinder

Thanks and apologies for not picking this up sooner. That site looks very interesting indeed. Definitely worthy of investigation.

Hec
Old 21st December 2011
Grumpy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie57 View Post
do not have one of these but looked into them when i tried canon. he does his own laset etching so focus areas and metering show up as they should.

Larry

ps was a concrete pump operator for 40 years and every ready mix driver in northern California called me GRUMPY too.
Just had a look and am very interested. One thing I'm not clear on is whether or not the focus point indicators, three on my E520 which you can change, will still show up and chnage as you manually swap them. Your comment seems to suggest that they do still work.

Notwithstanding that point I like the rule of thirds grid option which should also make horizons a little easier as well as a quick compositional tool.

On a more important note glad to see grumpiness is international. I sense an international movement here

cheers

Hec
Old 21st December 2011

Thanked 1,030 Times in 637 Posts
Liked 1,218 Times in 571 Posts

Probably a bit late in the action but my e-3 proved to be a real barsteward when it came to swapping screens. It came out like a bat out of hell and like trying to pour a gallon into a wee whisky glass it didn't work. Some have done it, but by all accounts you need excellent eyesight, ferret fingers and nerves of steel not to forget having some luck along the way. Something, if I remember correctly, is that the e-510 for example is more of a DIY than the e-3. I mention this as it may be a similar sitrep for some of the other e-*** series.

Having a new screen fitted in the e-3 with the cross hairs = 0 & X type grid was around 70.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 22nd December 2011
Grumpy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Probably a bit late in the action but my e-3 proved to be a real barsteward when it came to swapping screens. It came out like a bat out of hell and like trying to pour a gallon into a wee whisky glass it didn't work. Some have done it, but by all accounts you need excellent eyesight, ferret fingers and nerves of steel not to forget having some luck along the way. Something, if I remember correctly, is that the e-510 for example is more of a DIY than the e-3. I mention this as it may be a similar sitrep for some of the other e-*** series.

Having a new screen fitted in the e-3 with the cross hairs = 0 & X type grid was around 70.
Thanks for that - did you find it worthwhile? Also I wonder of you can comment on my question regarding the foucus point indicators; are they lost with the new screen? That is something I use when in AF mode so that would be a big factor in deciding to go with this or not.

cheers

Hec
Old 22nd December 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Just had a look and am very interested. One thing I'm not clear on is whether or not the focus point indicators, three on my E520 which you can change, will still show up and chnage as you manually swap them. Your comment seems to suggest that they do still work.

Notwithstanding that point I like the rule of thirds grid option which should also make horizons a little easier as well as a quick compositional tool.

On a more important note glad to see grumpiness is international. I sense an international movement here

cheers

Hec
Hec,

as i remember(been a while) i contacted him about the same issue on my old
reblel xt and on that model the focus points did show. that was the clincher
for me if i decided to buy and that was when i found out he did his own laser
etching.

when i contacted him it seems to me he answered pretty quickly.

hope it helps, larry
Old 28th December 2011
Grumpy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie57 View Post
Hec,

as i remember(been a while) i contacted him about the same issue on my old
reblel xt and on that model the focus points did show. that was the clincher
for me if i decided to buy and that was when i found out he did his own laser
etching.

when i contacted him it seems to me he answered pretty quickly.

hope it helps, larry

Thanks Larry - I will contact him to check out what he can do onb that front but it does sound veru encouraging.

Thanks for the update

cheers

Hec