Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 14th June 2017

Liked 681 Times in 454 Posts
Excellent serious post on Newsthump, cncerning current events

Here:

http://newsthump.com/2017/06/14/brit...ly-remarkable/

Jim
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
George Dorn (15th June 2017), Johnheatingman (14th June 2017), OM USer (15th June 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (14th June 2017), Internaut (14th June 2017), Phill D (15th June 2017)
Old 14th June 2017

Liked 1,247 Times in 852 Posts
Re: Excellent serious post on Newsthump, cncerning current events

Agreed; quite remarkable bravery and endurance shown by our firefighters. I hope and pray that they can complete their mission without loss or injury.

However, there should be some very searching questions about what went wrong, and why so many lives were lost.

There should also be questions about the lack of fire escapes.

I believe and sincerely hope this will turn out to be another 'Titanic' moment; something that was never supposed to happen, or was believed to be impossible. but will have far reaching consequences for building standards in the future.

At an individual level we can also reduce the amount of highly flammable material that we keep around our own homes, which will have accelerated the fire and endangered lives.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 14th June 2017
Administrator

Liked 251 Times in 137 Posts

Agreed and having done some of the training when I was in the Oil business I can agree that you really do need to practise to overcome that primal urge to back away from that heat.

Noting the Titanic comment.. Another team I have the utmost respect for for facing a primal fear are the lifeboatmen (and women these days). I wanted to join once, but I am not sure I could do that sort of thing any more

regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://shenstonephoto.blogspot.com/
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
Old 14th June 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,843 Times in 2,189 Posts
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,621 Posts

I am devastated by this terrible disaster but at the same time filled with gratitude and admiration for our brave fire fighters. I only hope that lessons can be learned from this which will help prevent similar disasters in future.

For our part, on this forum, I hope we can refrain from letting this become a political issue and concentrate instead upon expressing our sorrow for the victims and thanks to our emergency services.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (14th June 2017), OM USer (15th June 2017)
Old 14th June 2017

Liked 1,247 Times in 852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
Agreed and having done some of the training when I was in the Oil business I can agree that you really do need to practise to overcome that primal urge to back away from that heat.

Noting the Titanic comment.. Another team I have the utmost respect for for facing a primal fear are the lifeboatmen (and women these days). I wanted to join once, but I am not sure I could do that sort of thing any more

regards
Andy
I think there is a certain camaraderie in any job where colleagues must have absolute trust in one another in the face of extreme danger. I guess this used to be commonplace in many heavy industries, but is now almost lost.

I would very much have liked to be part of a lifeboat crew myself, but I have never lived or worked quite close enough to a lifeboat station for that to be possible, and it is too late now.

However, my comment about a 'Titanic moment' referred more to the fact that I suspect (and hope) that today's events will help to redefine building safety standards in much the same way that the Titanic disaster changed ship design.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (15th June 2017)