Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 3rd September 2018

Liked 1,113 Times in 444 Posts
Re: Pansonic Leica 15mm F1.7

Just one note to check up on - I have the Panasonic 20mm lens and it focusses a LOT slower than the Olympus 17mm lens, while these are not the lenses you’re looking at be sure to try before you buy to ensure you’re happy with the lens/body match.

NB although 20 is slow it doesn’t bother me at all and it is my go to pocket lens on the EM-1

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 3rd September 2018

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

The slow focussing of the Pana 20mm is down to the age of this lens' design - and the Mark II version is just the same as they only added multi-coating to improve its performance into the light and made some cosmetic changes. The 15mm is much faster focussing than the 20mm. (And I've recently bought a 20mm again after selling mine a few years back as it's such a compact lens!)

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 6th September 2018

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

I have the 15mm f1.7 and its my most used lens, sharpness and colours are excellent.
Focal length suits me better than the 17mm, I use it in conjunction with the 25mm f1.4.
Now looking for a 12mm, probably the Olympus version unless a Panasonic comes up at the right price.

Tried the 12-40, just too big and weighty for me and decided to go for a prime only set up
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As much as I like the 15mm, I'm selling it on to fund the Oly 12-40 2.8. I just find the 15mm a bit restrictive, most of my shooting is done in decent enough lighting and I use off-cam flash at other times when needed. I thought I'd enjoy it more, and it may be strange to some, but I find it a little too small and fiddly. I like neat and tidy lenses, but never been a fan of pancakes, and though the 15mm isn't necessarily one, it might as well be. Without the hood it's almost as compact as the 14mm. I prefer to have a little something to grip when shooting. Also the hood on mine comes off too easily, and you only need look at the aperture ring for that to change unexpectedly.

Results-wise, cannot fault it, beautiful contrast, clarity and colour reproduction. It has it's own look, very little PP required unless you are after a very specific look. I barely ever touch sharpening on images from this lens, and contrast only gets a slight bump - where with images from other lenses I find I push both a bit more.

If I could keep it and have the 12-40 I would, but sadly that is not the case