Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 18th July 2018

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
12-40 comparison

I have an EM-10 mk 2 with a 12-40 1:2.8 Pro lens bought together as a deal. I use this setup for holidays and have now taken them on three trips. I will occasionally produce A3 prints from the images taken. It is a lovely lens but I have found the setup a little unbalanced down, I think, to the weight of the lens. Does anyone know or have a view about if the 12-40 'pancake' lens produces inferior images to the Pro version for my purposes; would I, day in day out, notice a difference? I would find it lighter and easier to carry around city streets etc. but would an A3 print be compromised?

many thanks
Old 18th July 2018

Liked 261 Times in 140 Posts
Re: 12-40 comparison

I have the E-M10 Mkii and I've shied away from the 12-40 PRO as it looks massive on the camera despite the glowing praise it gets from owners.
I have the 14-42mm EZ pancake and the older 14-42mm II R version that came with my E-PL5.

As you can see from this Camera Size Comparison there is quite a lot of difference in size.
http://j.mp/2L7L7w4

Annoyingly DXO don't have a test on the 14-42mm EZ pancake or for the E-M10 Mkii for a pixel peeper comparison.
It's clear that on paper the PRO is a better quality lens but then it's a lot more expensive and it's a lot larger.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compa...33_937_414_937

Back to the 14-42mm lenses, I slightly prefer the handling of the II R version over the EZ pancake because of the electronic zoom on the EZ.
That said it's the EZ that goes with me on holiday as the size overrides the minor preference for a manual zoom.
Picture quality wise I've never noticed any significant difference between them though I don't pixel peep much.
Both the kit lenses I've mentioned are obviously a bit narrower at the wide end and tiny bit longer at the telephoto so if you're regularly shooting at 12mm you may miss the extra width.

Both kit lenses are pretty cheap used. The EZ comes in around 130-150 the IIR around 65 though be careful as MPB at least often confuse the two models in their listings...
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equip...lympus-lenses/
Bought privately you should be able to do a bit better.

Finally your question about quality, I can't miss what I don't have
My light weight travel option with the E-M10 Mkii is the Olympus 17mm f1.8 and the 14-42mm EZ.

I use the EZ as a general walkabout.

The 17mm comes out in the evenings and in museums etc. where the light is low.
I also wander around with the 17mm when the mood takes me.

I don't print at A3 but under the normal daylight conditions I don't find the EZ that lacking compared to my primes - obviously in lower light or wider apertures you can see the difference.

FWIW I categorise my Flickr images into albums based on the lenses and bodies so if you wanted to see what I've done with the same body and the EZ pancake this is the album.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1c7oMZ
Old 18th July 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,381 Times in 810 Posts

I have the 12-40 and have had the 14-42 mk1 & mk2 and the 14-42 EZ

I sometimes print up to B3 (A3+) size and have not had any real problem with the IQ from any of those lenses. The 12-40 has produced the "crispest" pictures, but unless you do side by side controlled tests there is only a marginal difference and often that can be down to other factors.

So unless you are going to do some serious testing (playing) like I did:
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost...9&postcount=14

I'd suggest you find a friendly camera shop and "Try B4U Buy" by shooting some "test" shots in the shop...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 18th July 2018

Liked 207 Times in 65 Posts

I’ve recently stuck a 12-40 pro on my em10mkii and love it. I do however find the benefit of the optional grip on the camera makes a world of difference. I understand why an ungripped body on its own might seem a tad small for this lens - the grip also adds some height to the set up not just a grip. I’d post a pic of the set up for you, but I haven’t got one of forum size on my phone, but if you click on my Instagram link below there’s one on there (with a L bracket fitted too though).

I agree with AMc about the 17mm 1.8 too, it’s a great match up.... I haven’t used mine since I got the 12-40 though, but it’s only been a couple of weeks!

Chris