Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 3rd March 2018

Liked 1,099 Times in 442 Posts
The exploding lens hood saga continues

SO this week I've had the 40-150 lens hood explode on me, fortunately all the bits were still there, as they fell into the camera bag... very lucky - they could easily have dropped into the snow!

Just been out for a walk and the 12-40 (LH-66) also came to pieces, taking them out last weekend was obviously too cold for the tape to continue working (-7 up in the Peaks) again very fortunately all the little bits were retained (I was leaning over the parapet of a bridge at the time) and the hood is now superglued back together...

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 3rd March 2018

Liked 2,383 Times in 759 Posts
Re: The exploding lens hood saga continues

Olympus don't have a very good track record with lens hoods. A lot of the time they don't supply them with lenses at all and, when they do, they appear to have a propensity to disintegrate. I hope my 300mm f4 hood survives as it doesn't look as if it would be easy or cheap to replace it.

Ron
Old 3rd March 2018

Thanked 1,044 Times in 647 Posts
Liked 1,259 Times in 601 Posts

Given the cost of Olympus lens hoods and the above problem(s) have you thought to try a rubber lens hood equivalent? I use them for the lens I have and have had zero problems. Added advantages are they are cheap, can stay on even when not in use when out and about, fold back to save valuable space and, if the lens is dropped, can offer some semblance of protection.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 6th March 2018

Liked 107 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Olympus don't have a very good track record with lens hoods. A lot of the time they don't supply them with lenses at all and, when they do, they appear to have a propensity to disintegrate. I hope my 300mm f4 hood survives as it doesn't look as if it would be easy or cheap to replace it.

Ron
Simple screw in third party hoods should be easy to find for a 300mm.

If I had a OEM hood disintegrate like this I'd be demanding my money back, as it's clearly not fit for purpose!
Old 6th March 2018

Liked 1,036 Times in 582 Posts

The 300 is about the only one of the folding/sliding type that seems to hang reasonably well together.

[Mine's now due for self destruction, having said that]

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.