Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 25th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Photographic equipment at Wimbledon

This is what it says:

"The use of photographic equipment must not inconvenience any other person in the Grounds. Still photos, film, videotape or other audio visual material recorded within the grounds may not be sold or used commercially in any way whatsoever unless authorised by the AELTC and may be confiscated by the Club if such sale or commercial use is suspected"

So it would appear that there is no restriction per se regarding what sort of camera kit you're taking with you so long as your photos are not commercially exploited.
Old 26th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,124 Posts
Liked 1,188 Times in 575 Posts
Re: Photographic equipment at Wimbledon

Sounds like a very reasonable policy to me.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 26th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Photographic equipment at Wimbledon

I went in 2009 and was surprised to see people with 300mm lenses and monopods on the newly revamped court 2. They just sat at the back and kept out of everybody's way.

I would say that Wimbledon is one of the most relaxed sporting events when it comes to photography. During rallies and as players go to serve, there is none of the whinging by players that goes on in golf when shutter clack becomes noticeable.

Whether on the two show courts (Centre and No 1) you can take in large telephoto lenses I'm not sure. It would be far harder in those to not be obscuring someone's view, but there are lots of opportunities if you have a ground pass. Bear in mind some of the courts only have a park bench alongside and then a path where everyone streams by as they play. You can get very close and personal with the players if on an outside court.

For that reason, I would recommend going in the first week (bit late now) during the early rounds when there is a lot of tennis being played across the site.

Wimbledon also has some fantastic planting, so even if not pointed at a match there is often something else to photograph. Great opportunity for candid or street photography too.

Taken when I had just started photography and using a Fuji bridge (so probably had a bloody long reach compared with most dslr):

Wimbledon 2009

Williams' Sisters on Court No 2

Around the Outside Courts

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
flickr - Photo52 2011
My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP