Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 14th October 2018

Liked 213 Times in 116 Posts
Nik Software

I have just updated the OS to the latest version on my iMac. This may be a coincidence but I loaded an image into Affinity Photo with a view to using Silver Efex Pro and up popped a message from Nik/DXO giving me the option to proceed with a 14 day trial or purchase the software. At the moment DXO are offering the Nik package for $59.99, a $10 reduction

Originally, I purchased Nik for about 150 before Google bought the company for my Windows laptop. When I switched to Apple, about 18 months ago, I downloaded the free version. I don't feel like buying again but having switched, I may not have any choice as I like the software a lot. Has anyone else encountered this issue in the past few days?

Thanks

David
Old 14th October 2018

Liked 1,067 Times in 602 Posts
Re: Nik Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
I have just updated the OS to the latest version on my iMac. This may be a coincidence but I loaded an image into Affinity Photo with a view to using Silver Efex Pro and up popped a message from Nik/DXO giving me the option to proceed with a 14 day trial or purchase the software. At the moment DXO are offering the Nik package for $59.99, a $10 reduction

Originally, I purchased Nik for about 150 before Google bought the company for my Windows laptop. When I switched to Apple, about 18 months ago, I downloaded the free version. I don't feel like buying again but having switched, I may not have any choice as I like the software a lot. Has anyone else encountered this issue in the past few days?

Thanks

David
Dave - I believe to get Nik working on the latest Apple operating system & hardware you need to pay for the upgrade (or so my Apple-toting friends tell me, if I understood them correctly).

It all still works on Windows systems, although those using Lr and Ps usually need to re-install the Nik plug-ins after updates.

I'm still using them as standalones with Capture One on PCs, so am currently unaffected, although that's bound to change eventually.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 14th October 2018

Thank you for that Mark. Looks like an outlay in prospect, it would be nice to know if DXO has made and changes/improvements.

David
Old 14th October 2018
Administrator

Liked 399 Times in 220 Posts

they say that they have https://nikcollection.dxo.com/what-s-new/

As I had never used it before it was included in DXO Photolab I can't comment on what difference it's made

It made a big difference to DXO which was missing the point corrections before this

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 21st October 2018

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts

Looking at the "improvements" they say they have made, I am not willing to part with a wad of cash for what appear to be relatively minor advances over the free versions I have.
Old 31st October 2018

I bit the bullet today and purchased the Nik Collection from DxO. To say that it's been problematic is an understatement. I have installed, uninstalled a number of times (crashes seem to recognised as an issue as that uninstalling and reloading seems to be the main support suggestion). The plugins seem to upload partially and then freezes not only itself but the host programme which in my case is Affinity Photo. The odd thing is that if an individual plugin is opened it is possible to open jpgs but no other file formats.

Anyhow, if anyone has encountered this issue and overcome it, I'd be glad to know the solution. I'm now awaiting a support reply from DxO and will report back.

David
Old 31st October 2018

For anyone one interested, I just got the following response from DxO

Thank you in your interest in Nik Collection 2018!

While the combination of Nik Collection 2018 and Affinity Photo is not officially supported, please go to the following link for instructions on a workaround:

https://www.dam-photo.com/install-ni...ffinity-photo/

While we cannot offer technical support for this combination, we have had customers that have had great success with this workaround.

Kind regards,

Riley
DxO Customer Support

Basically, the link which is several months old, demonstrated my previous procedure and it too does not work. I've asked for a refund on the basis that if a 'free' version worked with Affinity, so should a paid-for version. Pathetic - be warned.

David
drmarkf (31st October 2018)
Old 31st October 2018
Codger

Liked 100 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
For anyone one interested, I just got the following response from DxO

Thank you in your interest in Nik Collection 2018!

While the combination of Nik Collection 2018 and Affinity Photo is not officially supported, please go to the following link for instructions on a workaround:

https://www.dam-photo.com/install-ni...ffinity-photo/

While we cannot offer technical support for this combination, we have had customers that have had great success with this workaround.

Kind regards,

Riley
DxO Customer Support

Basically, the link which is several months old, demonstrated my previous procedure and it too does not work. I've asked for a refund on the basis that if a 'free' version worked with Affinity, so should a paid-for version. Pathetic - be warned.

David
Nik certainly does work with Affinity - old version and new. There is sometimes a weird colour space problem with Viveza but Silver Efex and Color Efex are fine and they are the only ones I routinely use. Sharpener Pro, Dfine and HDR Efex seem OK as well although I do not use them much.

I have just tried Viveza with the latest release of Affinity (1.6.5) and it seems to behave better now. I still prefer to do my basic adjustments with Affinity though.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 31st October 2018

Steve, Nik worked fine for me until the Apple OS upgrade. After that, one was given a choice of a 14 day trial which worked fine until it expired. So, I then went the buy route and have just wasted an afternoon and am without a frequently used piece of software - bizarre. The refund process has just started.

David
Old 31st October 2018
Codger

I'm on Windows 10. Maybe it's an Apple issue...

Hopefully someone with ios might be able to help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Codger

There's a new version of Nik available on the DxO website (1.2.18).

It claims specifically to be compatible with macOS 10.14 and to fix compatibilty problems with Affinity on MacOS. The colour issue with Viveza and Affinity is said not to be fixed, but it's something I don't really have a use for. All the other plugins seem to be fine with Affinity.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
they say that they have https://nikcollection.dxo.com/what-s-new/

As I had never used it before it was included in DXO Photolab I can't comment on what difference it's made

It made a big difference to DXO which was missing the point corrections before this

Regards
Andy
I have DXo Photo Lab. It has an icon looking like a sticking plaster which clones out content by replacing it with best guess content from nearby, which isn't very useful as its best guesses are poor. It also has a "Local Adjustments" tool which lets you select and area and then apply a variety of adjustments to it. they seem to be the only local editing features; are they what is meant by Nik? Or am I missing something more? Perhaps my version is a bit out of date ...
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts

I'm a tad confused. I've had the free Windows version of Nik software installed in LR Classic CC and PS CC 2019 (monthly subscription) and for the first time in ages I've had to re-install after last upgrade. OK, no problem, I have version 1.2.11 (free version) executable stored in a folder on my PC for whenever I need to reinstall.

Out of curiosity, I went to the Nik Collection website/ to see what was new and there is version 1.1 for sale for 59

Are they selling old versions whilst ver 1.2 was free?

Steve
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Codger

Nik have their own version numbering system for their paid-for software.