Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 27th December 2007
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
New to bird photography...

So go gentle on me yeah

I put up a quick bird feeder a few weeks ago hoping to attract a nice variety of birds to my garden and to it! I am taking a trip to Pets at Home tomorrow where my wife informs me there's loads of nicely designed bird feeders to choose from - so hopefully, I shall be in a position to take more shots of our feathered friend visitors to my garden.

Here's two I took the other day - my first attempts at this sort of stuff... must get myself a remote trigger release though so I don't frighten the little things off. They are taken through glass doors hence some mist/haze et al.

Blue-tit

Robin

Old 28th December 2007
PeterD

Thumbs up Re: New to bird photography...

Beautiful shots John. I too started to take bird shots but came to the same conclusion that you have - need a tripod and remote release. Tripod I now have. Remote release is on its way.

PeterD
Old 28th December 2007

Re: New to bird photography...

Thanks Peter. I have a tripod and asked the wife for a Monopod for Christmas - which I received (ta Jen )

I quite like the Monopod - and used it today on an outing to Slimbridge WWT with Heather and Jen, finding it very easy to position, comfortable to use, and a lot more versatile for this type of photography than my use of a tripod.

Appreciate that for the 'birds at home on feeder' shots I will continue to use the tripod - but may try the monopod (without cable release of course) hehehehe...

I must say that the 70-300 seems to be a very decent lens for the price.

Old 28th December 2007

Liked 1,289 Times in 791 Posts

Anyone want to try to ID the lens?

http://www.dmeredith.com/pages/rbnl.htm
Old 28th December 2007
PeterD

Smile Re: New to bird photography...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Anyone want to try to ID the lens?

http://www.dmeredith.com/pages/rbnl.htm
Its big, its white, its not Olympus, and if the Robin perches for much longer, could grow white lumps to make it unique. Love the shot.

PeterD
Old 28th December 2007
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Thanks Peter. I have a tripod and asked the wife for a Monopod for Christmas - which I received (ta Jen )

I quite like the Monopod - and used it today on an outing to Slimbridge WWT with Heather and Jen, finding it very easy to position, comfortable to use, and a lot more versatile for this type of photography than my use of a tripod.

Appreciate that for the 'birds at home on feeder' shots I will continue to use the tripod - but may try the monopod (without cable release of course) hehehehe...

I must say that the 70-300 seems to be a very decent lens for the price.
Glad you got the monopod. Could you give a report on it when you have had time to use it in anger. I like the idea of the convenience of a single telescopic leg but wonder about the stability side to side and front to back.

I do agree with you that the 70-300mm lens is superb. Purchased mine just before Xmas and have been really pleased with its performance. I have some Sonia magnifying lenses and a Sonia Macro lens purchased for use on the 40-150mm kit lens. The diameter of the 70-300 is the same so I shall see how these perform in Macro shots.

PeterD
Old 28th December 2007

Liked 696 Times in 255 Posts

Lovely shots John.
Dave.
Old 28th December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice shots John. Wish we had birds in our back, but alas - too many cats around!.

Chris
Old 31st December 2007
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Hey,

The sharpness of your shots never fails to amaze me

I think me and Susan could do with trip down south and we could go shotting together..

Cheers
Garrie

PS HAVE A GOOD NEW YEARS
Old 31st December 2007

Thanks Garrie - I feel very flattered. To receive such a comment from you is praise indeed - I've seen your images too you know, and they are stunning.

I see Susan has signed up which is great news, looking forward to seeing more images from North of the border soon then

Old 31st December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hiya

Many Thanks for the welcome

Your photo's look excellent, so crisp and clear. Were you in view of the birds or were you hidden from their sight?

Cracking shots

S
Old 31st December 2007

Sort of half and half really Susan... I take these shots from inside my conservatory, and the bird feeders are about 15-20' away. I have net curtains up on all but the French doors and so when sat at my desk, if I turn around I can see outside and through the nets. I (obviously) have the E-3 set up ready to go, but no remote shutter release so I have to be careful that when I go to place my hand on the camera to position and fire, that I do it slowly such that the birds don't spot the movement.

Here's a dreadful shot of my workspace - the French doors are to the right of this scene, almost behind the back of the chair.

Old 31st December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Erm by any chance do you play keyboard lol

it looks like a brilliant set-up you have there, ideal for catching the birds but I do understand what you mean about the movement. Garrie recently got a remote shutter release from ebay, cheap as chips, but works a treat
Might be worth checking it out, by the sound if it, it may make capturing your shots a bit easier
Old 31st December 2007
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I play Bass, only four strings

Hi John, honestly your pics are mint, really enjoy your threads

Cheers
Gar
Old 31st December 2007

Hehe, I try to play keyboards but am not that good as I am totally self taught - it's one of my other hobbies. I tend to write on the synths. I am classically trained on brass instruments having started when I was 11... and I also count myself as very fortunate and privileged that I have 'perfect pitch', and so am able to feel music as it were which helps when you can't play keyboards

My fascination with the keyboards is more in the sounds they are capable of producing, than with being able to play them. Modern day synths, like cameras, are superbly engineered devices that can produce a wonderful array of stunning sounds and effects. Put several of these sounds/tunes/effects together in layers, and one finds oneself with a piece of music!! The bottom synth in that shot is my personal fav, and can produce stunning sounds. I tend to write and record music in the génres of easy listening, ambient and chillout - not too difficult with modern day synths.

As for the remote trigger - I will certainly be getting one of these pretty soon that's for sure.