Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-520

Olympus E-520 E-520 specific discussion.

Old 22nd November 2011
Grumpy Member

Liked 462 Times in 220 Posts
Question Split Screen Viewfinder

As I find manual focusing rather tricky, due to less than 20 20 vision, on my E250 I'm thinking of installing the split screen viewfinder conversion which I have seen mentioned in the past.

Has anyone had experience of a) installing and b) subsequent usage?

Also where did they source from?

cheers

Hec
Old 22nd November 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Split Screen Viewfinder

I asked this a few hours ago on the E500 thread

"Has anyone changed the focus screen of their dslr?

How difficult is this to do - ie can you do any damage? I remember doing this many years ago with my slr but I've not attempted it with a dslr before.

Do Olympus produce a split screen for the E400/300 etc?

There are 3rd party screens available online and on eBay but I can't find an Olympus screen.

Shall we combine our enquiries?
Old 22nd November 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

The name "Katz Eye" rings a bell, but I'm afraid I know nothing more. Perhaps a Google for this maker might help?

Edit: check this out:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Ol...t_olympus.html

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 22nd November 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks Stephen - yes I know them - also Virtual Village - and plenty more in China etc. I was hoping Olympus did a pukka screen - working on the principle that after-market can often be inferior in manufacture to the home brand. (allegedly)
Old 22nd November 2011

Liked 1,148 Times in 452 Posts

I did this years ago in an E400.. here's my page about it http://www.snaar.co.uk/fourthirds/index.html

I am not so certain it was a "good thing" because small 4/3 viewfinders don't work like you remember those big old 35mm film viewfinders. For some reason. I found I was still straining to work out if the thing was in focus... and I went back to AF lenses and hoped for the best

The definitive answer (ask StephenL) is to use a good EVF on the nice new Pen you may not have

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
The Following User Says Thank You to snaarman For This Useful Post:
StephenL (22nd November 2011)
Old 22nd November 2011
Grumpy Member

Thanks for the comments. Not as clear cut as it appears at first it seems. Plenty of research needed before shelling out if at all.

Hec
Old 22nd November 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still have mine installed on the E-1, as here: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17039

From what I recall, the E-1 is far easier to convert than the E-5** series, but I can't recall why?

Have a look here for the answers maybe?: http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--O...prod_E510.html

Katzeye appear to be the market leader in this type of screen.

Hope that helps.
--------------------------
Old 23rd November 2011

Liked 579 Times in 398 Posts

Some users managed to fit different screens in various bodies, but I think the E-1 was the only one sold with an "officially" user-replaceable screen. A distant memory says that you could send an E-3 in and have it converted, but for the other bodies Oly never even offered the option. The E-1 was a bit of a hangover from OM film camera days, where the single-digit bodies allowed easy changing of the screens, and they had about 14 of them. I don't know why they stopped with the E series, maybe bobody bought the screens (except me for the E-1), maybe they caused problems, maybe it was expensive to fit the changing mechanism in the bodies.

Ciao ... John
Old 23rd November 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Some users managed to fit different screens in various bodies, but I think the E-1 was the only one sold with an "officially" user-replaceable screen. A distant memory says that you could send an E-3 in and have it converted, but for the other bodies Oly never even offered the option. The E-1 was a bit of a hangover from OM film camera days, where the single-digit bodies allowed easy changing of the screens, and they had about 14 of them. I don't know why they stopped with the E series, maybe bobody bought the screens (except me for the E-1), maybe they caused problems, maybe it was expensive to fit the changing mechanism in the bodies.

Ciao ... John
John,
Did Olympus make an OM type split screen for the E-1?

Old 23rd November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMC View Post
John,
Did Olympus make an OM type split screen for the E-1?

They offered a choice of screens, but I can't remember the details. I think there was only one alternative, it might have been plain with a grid ruled on it, I would have to dig the E-1 out of mothballs to check. But because the body was designed to allow the user to change the screens it meant it was a lot easier to fit ones from third parties such as Katz Eye.

Hope this helps, I'll go foraging for the E-1 later.

Ciao ... John
Old 23rd November 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
They offered a choice of screens, but I can't remember the details. I think there was only one alternative, it might have been plain with a grid ruled on it, I would have to dig the E-1 out of mothballs to check. But because the body was designed to allow the user to change the screens it meant it was a lot easier to fit ones from third parties such as Katz Eye.

Hope this helps, I'll go foraging for the E-1 later.

Ciao ... John
Just curious John. I'm quite happy with my Katzeye so don't go rummaging just for me!

One thing I have noticed is that my eye has to be central to the eyecup for precise manual focusing. As I move my eye to the left or right the horizontal split in the screen will shift the upper and lower parts of a vertical line on the subject matter very slightly in relation to each other. This is very similar to when I look through a rifle scope and movement of my head alters slightly the crosshair position on the target. So long as you know this is a possibility you can position your eye correctly. It's second nature now for me when shooting rifles, not yet with the E-1 though.
Old 23rd November 2011
Grumpy Member

Cool Re: Split Screen Viewfinder

A very interesting exchange. One thing I noticed on the Katz Eyes site is that ittates that you lose the focus point indicators. I do use them a lot so that's a factor to consider.

Hec
Old 23rd November 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
A very interesting exchange. One thing I noticed on the Katz Eyes site is that ittates that you lose the focus point indicators. I do use them a lot so that's a factor to consider.

Hec
You'll have to remind me.......

Old 24th November 2011

Just for the record - when the E-1 was launched it had a standard focussing screen designated the FS-1. This was mostly plain, it had a few markings to show metering and autofocus areas and no manual focus aids. They offered one alternative screen, the FS-2, which was the same as the FS-1 but had a grid of lines etched on it. No focus aids like a split-image or microprism. Changing the screen was done by the user, and was very similar to the old OM film bodies. The FS-2 came in a fancy plastic case with a pair of tweezers, you pulled a tab in the body and a frame which supported the screen dropped down. The screen had a tab on one side that fit the tweezers, you would lift the screen out and stand it on its end in the slot in the fancy box, put the other one in and clip the tray back in place.

It was a bit pointless with only one alternative screen, although I found the lines on the FS-2 quite useful in reducing the frequency of wonky horizons. But as we said earlier the fact that the body was designed for changing screens meant that we could use third-party ones if we wanted.

Ciao ... John
Old 24th November 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if this shows up twice my apologies.

do not have one of these but looked into them when i tried canon. he does his own laset etching so focus areas and metering show up as they should.

www.focusingscreen.com

he makes several types of screen for several models of olympus. hope it helps you in your search.

Larry

ps was a concrete pump operator for 40 years and every ready mix driver in northern California called me GRUMPY too.