Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,302 Times in 1,533 Posts
Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
Were you running an early version of Masterbill on it? I remember it being being so slow in sortation that data was input during the working day and processing for abstracts and BQs started shortly before the end of day, sometimes calling back a couple of times over a weekend.
Its beginning to slip the mind now, but I think we used a spreadsheet. I would have not been a good enough programmer to write that sort of software. There were some quite affordable and simple spreadsheet programmes around, cannot remember their names tho'.

The process was not complicated, the construction company that hired me were building pipeline bases around the refinery. Quantities needed for each type of base were in the data, and we, weekly (?), assessed the % completion.

It certainly saved the company much time. And paid me quite well...……….

My Flickr
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,373 Times in 1,268 Posts
Liked 2,260 Times in 1,075 Posts

Haven't got round to upgrading my firmware yet so don't have much to add to this thread but I'd just like to say that the wealth of experience of members of this forum is really pretty impressive.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Keith-369 (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 644 Times in 339 Posts

Don't like one aspect of the update. The custom shutter release. Previously the cycle will complete the set number of shots then it will display the last shot. This time at the 0.5 interval setting the camera will flash the timer icon then only start the next cycle which seems to include the minimum 1s delay. so a whole cycle seems longer. The last night's milkyway shots seems to have more noise. ( reason for removal from wide challenge) I shot with a Laowa at f2 and the same 25s but instead of lowering the ISO, I had to remain at 1600.

I have another em1 that I have not updated. I shall do that comparison in Bromo

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,246 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
I have another em1 that I have not updated. I shall do that comparison in Bromo
Good man
I thought of updating only one of mine, but in the end I decided just to be lazy and go for it.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,300 Times in 1,015 Posts
Liked 1,942 Times in 1,079 Posts

The guy I referred to on FB (Rui M Leal) has now reversed his using the LightSnowDev method & is happy he has. I guess everything comes at a price (think Rumpelstiltskin), in one way or another & I'm happy to take the later FW offerings, even if battery power is used more etc. For my purposes I'm glad to have it.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 1 Week Ago

So far the only potential negative I've encountered has been the altered behaviour of the EVF-screen eye detect switch. I do most of my street photography with the screen flipped out (looking down, like with a TLR) and you do now have to be careful not to hold the viewfinder too close to your midriff or it'll switch and leave you visionless for what feels like an age.

In fact this is how my Sony A7S has always behaved, and it's possible to learn how to avoid triggering it unnecessarily.

Currently I feel it's worth this happening occasionally as a small price for the easier and faster switching to EVF just by putting the camera to my eye (v useful in intermitted bright sunlight, such as yesterday in London). The big advantage of the Olympus is that the behaviour can be altered via the menu as you wish, while with the Sony you're stuck with it. Isn't it ever so.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 350 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
So far the only potential negative I've encountered has been the altered behaviour of the EVF-screen eye detect switch. I do most of my street photography with the screen flipped out (looking down, like with a TLR) and you do now have to be careful not to hold the viewfinder too close to your midriff or it'll switch and leave you visionless for what feels like an age.

In fact this is how my Sony A7S has always behaved, and it's possible to learn how to avoid triggering it unnecessarily.

Currently I feel it's worth this happening occasionally as a small price for the easier and faster switching to EVF just by putting the camera to my eye (v useful in intermitted bright sunlight, such as yesterday in London). The big advantage of the Olympus is that the behaviour can be altered via the menu as you wish, while with the Sony you're stuck with it. Isn't it ever so.
Just turn off eye auto EVF when doing street stuff, you can still swap from EVF to LCD by pressing the ‘monitor’ button

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com
The Following User Says Thank You to snerkler For This Useful Post:
Wee man (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

Having just downloaded 1100-odd images from my trip to the Farne Islands, I've realised the update reset all my image file numbers to start from 000001 again! Grrrr!

Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Just turn off eye auto EVF when doing street stuff, you can still swap from EVF to LCD by pressing the ‘monitor’ button
Yes, for sure I could, but actually I like the new option to be able to use the EVF immediately by just putting the camera up to my eye rather than fiddling round to find the button. Anyway, it’s good to have the option!

Too much Oly gear.