Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 15th February 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yatesbury All Saints

I posted the church doorway a few days ago, here is some of the rest of the shoot.

A write up of the church and some extra photographs can be found at theChurchPhotographer...

Normal guilty parties, E-3, 11-22, Photomatix, The GIMP.

Note - I am now bracketing 12-13 shots starting at ev-7 to handle highlights (particularly reflections of light on stone).

Comments and criticism always welcome

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 15th February 2010

Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,004 Posts
Liked 1,156 Times in 760 Posts
Re: Yatesbury All Saints

Lovely shots any special significance to the group of headstones being of the same style?

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 15th February 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Lovely shots any special significance to the group of headstones being of the same style?
They are war graves, you'll see a few in most graveyards. The link gives an explanation as to why Yatesbury has so many.

Thank you

Nick

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 15th February 2010

Liked 62 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
A write up of the church and some extra photographs can be found at theChurchPhotographer...
What wonderful site Nick - I am full of admiration both for your photographic and literary skills.

Flickr
Old 15th February 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Thank you David

Nick

www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 16th February 2010
ewan

Another good set of church images Nick, you really have made this subject your own. I was wondering though, do you take any closeups of the textures and features of the interiors. I would like to have seen a bit more of the detail in woodwork [fret work and organ pipes, chorister? pew panels],and stone [colour,carvings] etc.

ewan
Old 16th February 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
Another good set of church images Nick, you really have made this subject your own. I was wondering though, do you take any closeups of the textures and features of the interiors. I would like to have seen a bit more of the detail in woodwork [fret work and organ pipes, chorister? pew panels],and stone [colour,carvings] etc.

ewan
Thank you Ewan

I mostly do overall views, as that seems to be the 'gap' in church representation - at least on the web. There are a number of sites that provide a good 'survey' of churches with detail shots

I got into church photography because I have a 'casual' intererest in churches and architecture (far less knowledgable than the dedicated 'crawlers'), but then found few pictures that actually showed what a church was like inside.

I might start presenting more detailed shots - perhaps via the gallery interface to my theChurchPhotographer blog. Not sure as it's very early days for theChurchPhotographer. So feedback and suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you

Nick

www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 25th February 2010

Liked 1,755 Times in 1,200 Posts

Another nice collection of images, Nick.

However, I do wonder whether you are getting too good at this HDR trick, with the result that some of the images are now getting slightly flat.

This is not a criticism, but I do wonder whether it would be better to retain a little more 'dark' and 'shadow' in the images, so they look more realistic and 'church like'.

As it is, almost every detail can be seen clealry, and even pews, which are usually dark-ish wood (often Pitch Pine) look much lighter than the eye would ever see them. Even well lit churches are rarely this light.

As a point of interest, if anyone would like more details of the organs in churches, these can be found at The National Pipe Organ Register.

Edit: I also had a look at your website, which I found fascinating. You'll have to come up this way some time.

Right, must go and get my anorak.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th February 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Another nice collection of images, Nick.

However, I do wonder whether you are getting too good at this HDR trick, with the result that some of the images are now getting slightly flat.

This is not a criticism, but I do wonder whether it would be better to retain a little more 'dark' and 'shadow' in the images, so they look more realistic and 'church like'.

As it is, almost every detail can be seen clealry, and even pews, which are usually dark-ish wood (often Pitch Pine) look much lighter than the eye would ever see them. Even well lit churches are rarely this light.

As a point of interest, if anyone would like more details of the organs in churches, these can be found at The National Pipe Organ Register.

Edit: I also had a look at your website, which I found fascinating. You'll have to come up this way some time.

Right, must go and get my anorak.
Thanks Nigel

I do actually process in Photomatix to a slightly more flat image, then PP in The GIMP to create the final picture, adjusting levels etc. Next time I get a batch to process I'll keep the comments in mind. It's a difficult balance particularly if I am to retain some roof detail. But yes it does 'idealise' interiors to a degree - particularly in a darker church such as Yatesbury.

I do hope to take theChurchPhotographer on tour during 2010, once (if) we get some longer bright days. Just to leaven the mix of churches a bit.

Thanks for the comment on the website, I anticipate it will grow quite a bit in future months.

Nick

www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 26th February 2010
ndl0071

Well I confess I don't know very much about churches or church photography but your church shots have become something of an education for me.

Leaving aside the technical aspects this set does show off the church and grounds well enough for me to be interested to look further into the shots and explore.

I have also had a look at your church website which was very informative.

Thanks Nick and keep up the good work.