Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th March 2018

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Something fishy (9mm)

I recently added the 9mm f8 body cap fisheye to my slim collection of lenses. I thought I would test the angle of coverage compared to the Panasonic 7-14mm wide zoom.

So here we have:

The Panasonic at 7mm. It is nice and straight, but note how my Celestion speaker bottom right has been stretched.

The body cap 9mm. OK, this is better than a joke lens and fairly sharp in the centre. It isn't a match for a proper fisheye or wide angle - but hey it's so small you can always have it with you in a pocket. Now the proportions of the speaker are more correct, but everything is curved.

The body cap lens after being de-fished using the Imadio Fisheye-Hemi plugin* Note that the speaker keeps it's proportions and has been straightened quite a bit. The end result is very slightly wider than 7mm.

So, what do we learn. The body cap lens is actually OK. It is very small and much cheaper than a mega wide lens or a serious fisheye. It isn't a full circle fisheye, it bends things a bit, it can be straightened.

Pete

*By trial and error I found a magic method to get the straightest de-fish from Imado. As you see, I haven't spent my 24 on it just yet.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snaarman For This Useful Post:
cinders (20th March 2018), Zuiko (15th March 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (16th March 2018), chris (15th March 2018), MJ224 (16th March 2018), Otto (17th March 2018), Ross the fiddler (17th March 2018), Zuiko (15th March 2018)